Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back story: Less than a year ago I got new tires and alignment done on my 2001 Hyundai Sonata. After about a month I noticed the steering wheel was pulling to the left. I took it back to the shop and they redid the alignment free of charge. Again though, about a month after that the alignment was out of whack again. I took it back to the shop but this time as they were driving the car into the shop the subframe actually cracked and the driver side axle popped out. I'm not religious at all, but I counted my blessing that day that it didn't happen on the highway on my way there.

I had the car towed to the dealership and they replaced the subframe under a recall (of which for whatever reason I never got a notice for...), the stabilizers, and of course put a new axle on. About two months later though, the steering is off once again.
I had my good friend and mechanic take a look at it for me. He inspected the front and rear. The only thing he found wrong was the driver side rear upper control arm bushings had play in them. I took it to Pepboys (I know, I know...) and they did a suspesion inspection. Surprisingly, they only told me the rear control arm bushings were bad, just like my neighbor had said, and nothing else. I was expecting a laundry list...

I haven't had it replaced yet (little short on cash at the moment) but given that the front-end is apparently fine, could this be causing the play and vibrations in the steering wheel (vibrations occur only at high speeds)? The steering wheel doesn't necessarily pull, but it's certainly not centered either. Most of the time I have to pull it to the right, but again, I can still easily steer it with my pinky finger if I wanted to.

Normally I wouldn't mind and just deal with it. It's a 2001 and it has over 209,000 miles on it. However, the reason I want to get this fixed is because it's extremely dangerous in the rain. When the roads are wet, even with proper tire pressure the steering wheel will jerk when I hit a puddle of water or such. The entire car actually jerks as well but then immediately corrects itself. I understand the concept of hydroplaning, but there's hydroplaning because you're driving like an ass and then there's safely driving in the rain with brand new tires and yelling "WTF this should not be this bad" when you hit a puddle.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts