Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm after some help.

So I haven't used my car in about 10weeks and the battery has died.

Can the battery be charged, and will it work OK or do I require a new battery.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
how old is the battery? only deep cycle batteries can come back. if the battery is more than 3 years old, i would replace it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine didnt even get to 3 years before it died. The AA (Hyundai assist) came out and checked it and pronounced life extinct. No they can`t be re charged. Seems the general view was the Stop Start system thats kills them. Interestingly Hyundai will cover batteries for 5 years unless they are attached to a S/S system (most are) then its only 2 years...grr...I`d ring round for prices on a new one, they ain`t cheap either. So turn the S/S off

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Tbh it's my own fault. I haven't used the car in 10weeks, should have known better. Now I'm going to have to fork out money I didn't really need to 😩

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have had good luck charging non AGM batteries, unless frozen in the winter.Some automatic battery chargers need to be switched to manual for a few minutes before they will charge automatically because they need to see 8 volts or more to start charging.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If its feasible to borrow a charger from a mate I would definitely give it a go before shelling out on a new battery. The missus has a Polo that you have to slam the doors on otherwise they don't shut right and the courtesy light drains the battery. Have revived it many times from the dead (starter just clicking)

AGM battery could be a different kettle of fish, but I'd give it a go if you can.

Ps. There is a special type of charger for the AGM Start/Stop batteries, some say its crucial to use, others say it makes no odds, personally I bought a charger specifically for AGM but take what you will from that

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
You can rcharge them but to completely discharge a battery severely weakens it. Still a slow two day recharge should fix things for now. If I don't drive for 6 weeks I will boost the battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there. I'm after some help.

So I haven't used my car in about 10weeks and the battery has died.

Can the battery be charged, and will it work OK or do I require a new battery.

Cheers
My battery was dead on both my Hyundai and BMW and I recharged them up no bother using my Noco Genius 10 charger.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Best bet is try to charge it. It will either work, or it won't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts