Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I normally used regular oil in my 2013 SantaFe.

About 4 months ago I went to JiffyLube and put in FullSynthetic.

Ran it about 4K miles and noticed I was low on oil. More than a quart low.

I went to my mechanic. He says, if the car manual calls for SAE 5w-20 that’s what you should use and the Hyundai dealership service counter said the same thing.
My mechanic also said that using synthetic ina car that calls for regular could confuse the cars computer and can lead to problems.

Car does not show any signs of oil leaking.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thank you in advance for
Your time.

Marz

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Need a new mechanic. How can an engine "determine" if its syn or not? As indicated above.

Check the manual. 5W-20 might be the preferred choice but there is a grid that allows other options. Also if your vehicle burns it might be time to upgrade your weight. But having it done at Jiffy Lube, unless you ab-so-lutely trust them, I would wonder if they filled it up proper?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Need to find an actual mechanic, this one is not.

One thing to remember is, syn is a cleaner lubricant. It can find leaks easier than dino. I'd also look to see if you see any small leaks. But I'd top it off if you're not due a change and track it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
He says, if the car manual calls for SAE 5w-20 that’s what you should use and the Hyundai dealership service counter said the same thing.
So he told you nothing. He didn't check the manual or requirements for your vehicle and left it up to you. Check the manual, it will show a chart of different oil weights/viscosity that can be used depending on your climate. 5W20 is what is "recommended" for fuel economy numbers since it is so thin and reduces drag on the engine components.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ran it about 4K miles and noticed I was low on oil. More than a quart low.
First, you should check the oil level after it's changed, before leaving the lot, to make sure it's at full.
Wait 10 minutes after shutting off the engine.
Second, don't go 4K miles without checking the oil.
Check at least every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
335 Posts
First, you should check the oil level after it's changed, before leaving the lot, to make sure it's at full.
Wait 10 minutes after shutting off the engine.
Second, don't go 4K miles without checking the oil.
Check at least every 1000 miles.
YES to this comment. Check every 1000 miles or so. When my first engine was dying, the official Oil Consumption Test showed I was using 2 to 2.5 qt of oil every 1000 miles. Also, 5W-20 is nice but you can use (and many recommend) 5W-30 at a minimum as the thicker viscosity helps keep the engine a little better lubricated. And synthetic is fine to use...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Guess I’m nuts! I check all fluids every week.
Guess that's what we need to do when we have "junk" cars. Maybe I'll check the Acura each year when I change the oil, never moves off full, as like most other cars I own or have owned, but with the poorly designed 2.0T you're a little off base as I need to check it maybe every 3 or 4 days as it drinks oil like I drink iced tea.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
No one is nuts for checking the fluid regularly. All fluids, tire psi,.... visual inspection is something I do every week. If a vehicle is an oil burner, I anticipate the top offs as needed. Its part of vehicle ownership. Too many braindead zombies on their Android or Iphone 100hrs a week but don't have 5 minutes to do a walk around a vehicle. Many don't know how to use a tire pump or even how to pop their own hood.

Some makes/models are better than others. Some engines are just lemons. Guess what we own?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
No one is nuts for checking the fluid regularly. All fluids, tire psi,.... visual inspection is something I do every week. If a vehicle is an oil burner, I anticipate the top offs as needed. Its part of vehicle ownership. Too many braindead zombies on their Android or Iphone 100hrs a week but don't have 5 minutes to do a walk around a vehicle. Many don't know how to use a tire pump or even how to pop their own hood.

Some makes/models are better than others. Some engines are just lemons. Guess what we own?
great post - succinct, undisputably accurate, honest . Some of us are hesitant to face the truth, but I openly admit to the mistake that was made, but will not be repeated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So he told you nothing. He didn't check the manual or requirements for your vehicle and left it up to you. Check the manual, it will show a chart of different oil weights/viscosity that can be used depending on your climate. 5W20 is what is "recommended" for fuel economy numbers since it is so thin and reduces drag on the engine components.
Well, it says 5w-20 on the oil cap, so that’s why he said if that’s what it calls for that’s what you should use.
I put 5w-20 in and have about 450miles on this oil change. No drop in oil leaves yet.
He is a good mechanic from my experience with him so far.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
In the owners manual, the 2.4GDI calls for 5w20 for best fuel economy, and 5w30 or 10w30
The 2.0T calls for 5w30, 15w40, 10w30, 5w40 and 20w50

Automakers are afraid to give us a 'best protection' oil. So, I recommend the 5w30 for the 2.4 and 5w40 for the 2.0T. And, I always recommend full synthetic oil(any brand) and full synthetic oil filters(any brand).

You can use ANY type of oil, conventional, blend, synthetic high mileage, colored, uncolored... as long as it meets any of the current API/ILSAC/SAE/ACEA/automaker specs. It needs to meet at least ONE up to date spec.

And, I would seriously consider the severe service interval. You might end up with a longer lasting engine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In the owners manual, the 2.4GDI calls for 5w20 for best fuel economy, and 5w30 or 10w30
The 2.0T calls for 5w30, 15w40, 10w30, 5w40 and 20w50

Automakers are afraid to give us a 'best protection' oil. So, I recommend the 5w30 for the 2.4 and 5w40 for the 2.0T. And, I always recommend full synthetic oil(any brand) and full synthetic oil filters(any brand).

You can use ANY type of oil, conventional, blend, synthetic high mileage, colored, uncolored... as long as it meets any of the current API/ILSAC/SAE/ACEA/automaker specs. It needs to meet at least ONE up to date spec.

And, I would seriously consider the severe service interval. You might end up with a longer lasting engine.
Just curious, are there any oils/brands that don't meet these specs? They'd probably go out of business mighty quick.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Plenty of these uncertified oils are available at gas stations and $1 type stores. And, I see people buying garbage oil on the cheap all the time when they top off their knocking motors.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Plenty of these uncertified oils are available at gas stations and $1 type stores. And, I see people buying garbage oil on the cheap all the time when they top off their knocking motors.
Well then I guess it's quite clear - don't buy oil from gas stations and dollar stores, and stick with name-brand stuff. Mobil1, Valvoline, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
14 Participants
Turbonut
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing