Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am spanishspeaker, then Sorry for any gramatical mistake....:)
I have a Hyundai Accent 2002 (1.6L, manual transmision ) and it is shows a P0341 Trouble code.

When I measure the voltage it is give me
12.40 V (Line )
2,3,11 V (line 2)
And ground

If I measure the voltages only with ignition and only the conector unplugged it is give me similar ranges of V when the motor is in idle the signal line gives me readings of
2v.3v.4v.11v , but I read about must be no more than 5v (between 0.5v)

It is true or not?
How can I measure this sensor?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ground on one pin.
+12V on other pin.

The center pin will jump from near Zero volts up to +5V and back to Zero as the engine turns. This happens fast so it can be hard to read.

But it is correct: the voltage must be no more than 5.0V.

Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok!
Only in the conector with ignition The center pin shows 12.3V.
When the engine turns (obviously with the conector plugged on sensor) the sensor shows voltages from 2.3, 3.5 ....up to 12.V
Never from 0 to 5v, I believe this is the problem, then the sensor is bad.....It has more voltage than specified (0-5V) , At your opinion , what is wrong?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My last question...
The issue started because the mechanic change the timing belt and moves the timing in order to improve it, after that the code appears, It was the reason?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my again, Today I change too the camshaft sensor but the problem is still present.
The voltage in the line that must has from 0v to 5V , display 11.25v-12.10v
What can I review?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Unplug the sensor.
Ignition Off.

Measure Ohms resistance from the 3rd pin (Ground) to the car chassis Ground.
Should measure near Zero Ohms.

If it measures above 5 Ohms, the Ground wire in the harness cable is faulty.

Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The resistance in the conector is 0.08 to ground chasis What else what I reviewed ? Or I must review the ground to the sensor? Instead of chasis?

·
Registered
669 Posts
You have measured correctly, from plug to chassis.

There is no way to measure Ground to sensor but since you have a new sensor I do not think this is a problem.

At this time I do not have any other things to test.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,803 Posts
I would bet the sensor is good and the timing belt is out of time. One tooth off and it will throw a code.

The sensor is pretty dumb as it only shows when the target on the cam is going by. It's on or off.

To test it put the voltmeter in AC and you will see the value change with rpm. The faster the rpm the higher the reading.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The signal is actually D.C. From Zero volts to 5 volts.
Connect a 1500 Ohm resistor as shown and connect voltmeter from Ground to signal line.
As engine turns, the voltage should go from zero to 5 volts.
If turning rapidly, the variations will appear to be A.C. volts, as Red Raspberry noted.

The wire colors in the plug should be:

Black: Ground
Grey: +12V
White/Black: Signal

Attachments

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
No it is a 12vdc input. But only passes a signal when the cam target goes by. So it is really a pulsed +DC output. But that can be read as a positive square wave AC voltage.

The faster the cam spins, the higher the voltage because the digital voltmeter cannot process the decay fast enough. Your wheel sensors and crankshaft sensors are the same way.

Edit: it may be a 5vdc input but the + square wave AC output reading is the same logic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This test you mentioned:
(To test it put the voltmeter in AC and you will see the value change with rpm. The faster the rpm the higher the reading) Because I have a little knowledge about electricity. (like my English)
It will determine if there is a failure where? , The signal Line with and without sensor seems similar voltage (little variation) It is not receiving signal from sensor.
Then ii the reading does not increase with the RPM acceleration what is happened?

As you mention after the timing belt was changed the code P-0341 raised. When I connect my scanner I erased the code but immediately appears a FAULT STORED but the check engine light is turn OFF.
But If I stop the engine and start it again immediately the light appears and the code appears as a trouble code instead of fault stored.

In order to determine If has a tooth off what I going to do. Iknow what is It and when It happens the engine/ car does not has power and the speeds decrease, But I feel that engine is ok, If it is must be a little one but I do not discard . Because every thing was ok, the trouble started after timing belt change.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My question is
If is a bad sensor what is the signal readings? I could have another bad sensor, It is probably? The signal reading is 0?
Or what is the readings obtained when It is bad or failed? The symptoms of the engine?

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
I do not know the values you should see if the sensor is bad. But if it is bad the values should not keep increasing.

As long as the rpms rise and the AC voltage also rises then the sensor is good.

If belt is off then yes the code will immediately return.

If the sensor is bad, more than likely you will get no signal return out of it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
correct me if im wrong but,
if the sensor is bad, the volts should be zero or stay the same as the rpm increases.
if the sensor is good, the volts should rise as the rpm increases.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
But when measuring with AC it will vary as it will average the signal.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts