Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. My wife has a 2012 Tucson GLS with the 2.4l. Her car cut off while at a stop sign. I was able to drive it to her aunt's house about 20 seconds away. I scanned it and got a P0017 code, it says it's the crankcase - camshaft position sensor bank 1 sensor b. I have been googling for about a week to try and find this sensor and can't. Amazon said there are 2 5hat fit her car, one is just a sensor and the other has a pigtail coming off of it. I found the one with the wire behind a heat shield under the car and changed it. I'm still getting the code and it's still not running. Can anyone tell me where the other sensor is? I still can't find it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
18,613 Posts
got a P0017 code, it says it's the crankcase - camshaft position sensor bank 1 sensor b.
That isn't actually what it says. What it says is "Crankshaft Position – Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B ). In other words the cam timing is out of spec. This isn't likely to be a sensor problem. More likely to be an issue with the CVVT system, or maybe even a stretched timing chain.

Any thoughts @sbr711?

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
Hyundai Service reflects to cam / Crank time correlation..

Possible causes - cam timing,, Oil Control Valve (exhaust),, CVVT assembly

Oil condition, clean or mud motor ??

Oil control valve, remove it and look for sludge if mud motor,, metal around sleeve from engine coming apart, or stretched chain,, seen few on random 2.4L across product line, GDI and MPI

Engine knock when running ?? Odd hashing sounds at front of engine ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the clarification. So far I flushed and changed the oil and filter. It gets changed regularly with Mobil 1. My wife does a lot of driving for work so most of the miles are highway. It starts up but cuts off. Sounds fine for a minute or 2 then just dies. It will stay running if I give it a little gas.

I changed the camshaft position sensor under the car behind the heat shield and that did nothing. I changed the VVT solenoid and that did nothing. I read that there is another camshaft position sensor but I don't know where. I'm no mechanic but I can handle the basic to moderate stuff. Not sure where to go next.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
The ECU program has a tolerance programmed in that measures the phasing between the cam and the crank sensors (as previously mentioned). When the 2 signals go outside this tolerance it logs a fault code P0017. This is not telling you a sensor is faulty it's telling you they are not spaced correctly indicating a problem with the cam/crank timing. I don't think Hyundai's log a code for a faulty crankshaft sensor so I would have replaced that one before the camshaft sensor. Can't tell you where it is other than saying it will be screwed into the block in the area of the crankshaft.

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
I changed the camshaft position sensor under the car behind the heat shield and that did nothing.
That would be the Crankshaft Position Sensor down at rear corner of block behind a bowed steel cover held in place by 2 small bolt with pigtail that snap into bracket beside the pre-cat Ox sensor plug

I changed the VVT solenoid and that did nothing.
Oil Control Valve,,, there be 2 of them,, 1 for intake cam time, 1 for exhaust cam time

I read that there is another camshaft position sensor but I don't know where.
There is 2 cam position sensor, and I see no fault here with either 1 of them, as they seem to be inputting cam time to PCM with PCM knowing that the works is out of time compared to what it want to see

I'm no mechanic but I can handle the basic to moderate stuff. Not sure where to go next.
Sound like you need to stop buying and hanging expensive parts,, and take the thing to a Hyundai dealer who can plug in GDS and look at CURRENT DATA stream and get idea what going on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. I've been trying to do it myself to avoid paying for a tow truck, the $100 an hour labor rate, and the diagnostic fee. I have a total of maybe $70 in those 3 parts. The benefit is the car is sitting at my wife's aunt's house who has a pond, so when I get aggravated I go fish for a few minutes. I'm saving money and getting to fish without permission, it's a win win.

I found the camshaft posititon sensor and replaced that since I already had the part. I was replacing the sensors because when I was Googling I read they can get clogged and I should try cleaning them. I figured the car has 125k miles so I'd just replace them. So now I've done a camshaft position sensor on the top right of the engine, a crankshaft position sensor on the bottom behind the shield, and the VVT solenoid in the top left.

So my next step is that I need to do the oil control valve or just take it somewhere.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
18,613 Posts
There will be two cam sensors on a CVVT engine, one for each cam shaft, so why replace one and not the other?

Are you able to erase the trouble code? Does it erase but come right back, or does it only get logged again after you attempt to start the engine?

·
Banned
6,994 Posts
Hi! i am new to the forum and i have the exact same problem with my tucson any updates on this??

Start a new post.

Best practices for requesting help:

* If you haven't done so fill in your vehicle info and profile page. Shows up to the left
* Be sure you are in the correct forum for your vehicle.
* Do a search for your problem. A lot of stuff has been asked and answered.
* Do not double post for the same problem.
* Give the model year....Engine size...transmission type (auto or standard)
* VIN number can be very helpful.
* Did you buy the vehicle new, if not, how many miles were on it when purchased? How many miles on it now?
* Describe the problem the best you can.
* Tell us what has been tried, if anything.
* If the vehicle has been to a repair facility it would be nice if you can scan or take picture of the bill and attach it to the post.
* If your vehicle is under warranty you should have the dealer check it out. If it's an issue they see many times they will generate a safety recall or do a TSB. This is how they know.

This information can save a lot of time and get you the answers you need much faster.

Thanks,
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car is going to dealer tomorrow to determine What the issue is
What is the cost to fixing this issue
Did you end up taking to a dealer a single mother of 3 has this problem and I'm trying to fix it for her it throws the code but no check engine light. It took her a few minutes to start the car but she did get it to start and got to my house. I started it and it started fine I drove it a few blocks and everything seems good no check engine light on dash and but the code comes up on my innova 3100 obd2 scanner. I wish I could help her hope her car dosent leave her starnded

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tengo un Hyundai Sonata LF 2016 y tengo el mismo problema, codigo P0017,Posición del cigüeñal - Correlación de posición del árbol de levas (Banco 1 Sensor B). Ya le he cambiando el cran y los 2 cam, el sensor de oxigeno banco 1 posicion 1 y aun me sigue dando el mismo problema, tambien le cambie el aceite, el filtro de aire y de aceite, luz encendida del motor y el codigo P0017. Alguien tiene una idea que me pueda recomendar.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi guys, any follow up on to what caused this issue. I am getting P0336 consistently after replacing that sensor with a new one from the dealer. As others mentioned above; it might be another issue causing this code as well such as a stretched timing chain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts