Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Santa Fe Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,

I did search the forum and it seems that this isn't all that unusual of an issue, but still, my mechanic has me guessing as to what I should do about it.

Background: 2013 Santa Fe Limited. 91,XXX miles, owned since ~37,XXX miles.

It's always had a sort of rough idle on start (which goes away) and always blew a little white smoke on startup. Trips to the dealer and mechanic didn't give us any idea outside of cleaning the intake, etc. (which we had done). I should note that our gas mileage has always been sort of awful.

EDIT: Our main mechanic said that I'd need to add a quart every 1,000 miles or so. However, lately as I have been checking the oil, the dipstick is showing me less usage, then all of a sudden a large drop on the dipstick. I seem to smell burning, though, occasionally.

A few thousand miles ago it threw a camshaft position sensor code* and was burning oil. The mechanics we visited (I got two opinions) both told me that it was a sign of the engine failing and that I should just trade it in...that's the confusing part. It seems if it is repairable that they would gladly take my money to repair, so I guess that I don't doubt their diagnosis.

*The code comes and goes!

In any case, I decided to drive it and just keep an eye on the oil. However, now I have a new code for Camshaft Position - Over Advanced.

Both codes:
Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 2 Sensor A
A Camshaft Position - Timing Over Advanced or System Performance Bank 2

I guess my question is, should I just replace (or have replaced) the sensor, or is the car just failing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts