Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My month old 2011 sonata SE has about 780 miles now. I had the left pull issue since day 1 (which i should have noticed when i test drove it but i was too excited :) ). My dealer did a first round of tire pressure adjustment/wheel alignment but that had not fixed the problem.

They called me in again today and fixed it. Atleast from the notes they jolted down, it seems Sonata does not come with a Camber adjustment bolt (like many other cars since its generally not required). So they put a new camber bolt in and made the camber adjusted (also full alignment). Magically, the left pull issue is gone now (.... touch wood... ). The car tracks straight like a needle. I know that there are few SE owners who also had similar problem. See if this fixes your problem too.

BTW, I am getting about 22.4 miles per gallon in city. I am guessing this is normal since the engine is new.

·
Registered
124 Posts
QUOTE (11sonatase @ Sep 16 2010, 07:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356731
My month old 2011 sonata SE has about 780 miles now. I had the left pull issue since day 1 (which i should have noticed when i test drove it but i was too excited :) ). My dealer did a first round of tire pressure adjustment/wheel alignment but that had not fixed the problem.

They called me in again today and fixed it. Atleast from the notes they jolted down, it seems Sonata does not come with a Camber adjustment bolt (like many other cars since its generally not required). So they put a new camber bolt in and made the camber adjusted (also full alignment). Magically, the left pull issue is gone now (.... touch wood... ). The car tracks straight like a needle. I know that there are few SE owners who also had similar problem. See if this fixes your problem too.

BTW, I am getting about 22.4 miles per gallon in city. I am guessing this is normal since the engine is new.
How did they add an adjustment bolt if the car never had one. Wouldn't that be considered a modification thus resulting in a TSR for all other owners. Is it possible they didn't want to admit poor workmanship and just tightened the bolts. Very confusing. I told my Hyundai mechanic and he said all Dealers should have been notified if a mod was performed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (schdy37 @ Sep 17 2010, 10:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356847
How did they add an adjustment bolt if the car never had one. Wouldn't that be considered a modification thus resulting in a TSR for all other owners. Is it possible they didn't want to admit poor workmanship and just tightened the bolts. Very confusing. I told my Hyundai mechanic and he said all Dealers should have been notified if a mod was performed.
Infact, this fix was not by the dealer. A Hyundai engineer had come down to the dealership. Basically, I had complained to Hyundai Consumer affairs about 2-3 weeks ago. So finally he called me directly.
May be they already had provision to put a bolt but they don't since its generally not required (I am leaning towards this since hyindai has been a "bit" weight conscious in the sonata).

In my complaint, I had also mentioned about the two cars which were recalled due to some steering bolt issues (there is a separate thread on this). But the hyundai engineer confirmed that my car was not from the same batch and he also verified the entire steering system was correctly put-together in my car. I am kinda impressed at how detailed he had read my email and his explanation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (11sonatase @ Sep 17 2010, 04:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356924
Infact, this fix was not by the dealer. A Hyundai engineer had come down to the dealership. Basically, I had complained to Hyundai Consumer affairs about 2-3 weeks ago. So finally he called me directly.
May be they already had provision to put a bolt but they don't since its generally not required (I am leaning towards this since hyindai has been a "bit" weight conscious in the sonata).

In my complaint, I had also mentioned about the two cars which were recalled due to some steering bolt issues (there is a separate thread on this). But the hyundai engineer confirmed that my car was not from the same batch and he also verified the entire steering system was correctly put-together in my car. I am kinda impressed at how detailed he had read my email and his explanation.
Can you give a little more detail on how you complained? (via phone number, email?) I've been having this problem from day one and the recall really didn't change anything.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (schdy37 @ Sep 17 2010, 10:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356847
This is a standard procedure that is done to many cars every day. Some manufacturer's cars are equipped with camber adjustment bolts from the factory and some are not. Those that don't have them will require a "kit" to be installed so that adjustments can be made if the alignment angles are out of spec. Manufacturers today seem to think that they can build a car to spec at the factory and those settings will never change. Out in the real world, we have found that is not always the case. Sometimes they don't even get it right at the factory. Some manufacturers supply these bolt kits as service parts, while others do not. For those that don't, the aftermarket is usually quick to come out with a kit to use.

I found this video on youtube that describes the procedure and shows how the camber kit works. This is not on a Hyundai and is actually on a rear wheel, but the principal and procedure is the same for the front camber adjustment. Camber bolt installation video. You simply replace one of the existing strut mounting bolts with the adjustable bolt kit. Any decent alignment tech will know how to do this.

It should be noted that the Sonata already has provisions for adjusting the rear camber from the factory. No kit is needed to make adjustments to the rear camber. The rear camber adjustment is made at one of the control arms instead of at the strut mount.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I would love to see some pics of the fix the dealer did, do u think u can scoot under the car and snap a few pics.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Nov 25 2010, 03:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374672
I would love to see some pics of the fix the dealer did, do u think u can scoot under the car and snap a few pics.

Thanks!
I honestly dont know where the camber adjustment bolt will be on the car. Can I take a pic of the whole front suspension without having it on a workshop ramp?

G

·
On strut suspension, the camber adjustment bolt (commonly called a 'crash bolt' in the alignment business) is one of the (usually) two bolts that attaches the bottom of the strut to the steering knuckle. It's just a bolt whose body is eccentric rather than round/cylindrical. As you turn it, this changes the angle at which the strut is attached to the knuckle, which changes the camber.

HTH

·
Registered
150 Posts
Luckily, no issue for me... but it makes me scared to swap winter and summer wheels though!

Some cars are VERY finnicky when adding plus size wheels and wider tires, especially if the offset is off. Remember that this car was also designed to run narrower 16 and 17" wheels on 3/4 of the fleet. Going up to the wide 18's can create issues. Since they're so wide (8.5") and low profile, they naturally want to follow the surface of the road to begin with.

When I tried to mount 225/45-ZR18 tires and wheels (yes, the same size as the turbo sonata) on my '04 Accord I had the same issues. The car would follow the camber of the road real hard and was dangerous to drive. It would even jerk the wheel at times. And then there was the irregular tire wear $$. No surprise that a camber adjustment kit was needed here. I wish I had realized that early on in dealing with the Honda! I would bet my next paycheck that the people that had issues were on roads with a steep camber or were washboard.

Not making excuses, Hyundai should have done their homework here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (MattPSU @ Dec 7 2010, 01:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377652
Luckily, no issue for me... but it makes me scared to swap winter and summer wheels though!

Some cars are VERY finnicky when adding plus size wheels and wider tires, especially if the offset is off. Remember that this car was also designed to run narrower 16 and 17" wheels on 3/4 of the fleet. Going up to the wide 18's can create issues. Since they're so wide (8.5") and low profile, they naturally want to follow the surface of the road to begin with.

When I tried to mount 225/45-ZR18 tires and wheels (yes, the same size as the turbo sonata) on my '04 Accord I had the same issues. The car would follow the camber of the road real hard and was dangerous to drive. It would even jerk the wheel at times. And then there was the irregular tire wear $$. No surprise that a camber adjustment kit was needed here. I wish I had realized that early on in dealing with the Honda! I would bet my next paycheck that the people that had issues were on roads with a steep camber or were washboard.

Not making excuses, Hyundai should have done their homework here.

Wider tires wanting to follow the surface on the road makes much more sense than saying "EPS calibration might be off or something is wrong with EPS". I have also noticed that at low speeds its much harder to steer the car (left or right). Again this might be because of Wider tires.
Hyundai should have indeed done their homework and tested each and every configuration that they intended to sell the car in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Sep 17 2010, 08:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356841
Great news, I have been telling people to stop bitching and use that warranty.
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not... or if your car has this issue, but it is a very serious problem.

Driving at highway speeds, if you forget to keep the counteracting pressure on that wheel for just a second, the car can drift into a head on collision. Is this what it is going to take for a recall and a proper fix?

I have mine in there today/tomorrow for the "camber bolt" supposed fix... so we will see. But I have read several peoples responses that said the camber bolt did not fix thier issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hah that's an old trick us SCCA racers would do to our Toyota MR2s since camber wasn't adjustable to -3 like we wanted on the course, fix add camber bolts! Funny to see a dealer using this method, the only other people who do this are body shops when there is bent frames involved or other damage.

I had a feeling this is how Hyundai was going to fix this problem.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (toy4two @ Jan 19 2011, 12:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=392110
This is how A dealer fixed this problem. This is not the documented repair procedure from Hyundai. I will wait until Hyundai makes an official notice regarding the correct procedure for this repair. I am sure if you remove 10 psi from the right side tires it will also either lessen or correct this issue, but it's not the correct fix.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (toy4two @ Jan 19 2011, 12:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=392110
hah that's an old trick us SCCA racers would do to our Toyota MR2s since camber wasn't adjustable to -3 like we wanted on the course, fix add camber bolts! Funny to see a dealer using this method, the only other people who do this are body shops when there is bent frames involved or other damage.

Yup! TBar owner here as well.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (fixxxer0 @ Jan 18 2011, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=392062
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not... or if your car has this issue, but it is a very serious problem.

Driving at highway speeds, if you forget to keep the counteracting pressure on that wheel for just a second, the car can drift into a head on collision. Is this what it is going to take for a recall and a proper fix?

I have mine in there today/tomorrow for the "camber bolt" supposed fix... so we will see. But I have read several peoples responses that said the camber bolt did not fix thier issue.

You are kidding right? If you are not texting, talking on the phone, eating a bagle or drinking coffee; and are actually DOING what you are supposed to be doing in the left front seat this is not a safety issue.

What did people do in the past when every problem that occurs on the car wasnt classified as a safety issue?

Is it annoying, yes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, my car has been into the dealership 3 times now. The first time, they assured me this camber pin would fix it. It didn't.

The second time, they spent all day with the car and gave it back to me saying that it was within Hyundai spec and the car should be fine. It wasn't.

The third time was just yesterday. I called Hyundai Corporate and they dispatched an engineer from Alabama to oversee the installation of a replacement strut. Now, at least when I'm in the right lane of a 4 lane highway, the car runs straight. Letting go of my steering wheel will still result in a slight jerk to the left but not what it used to be, and the car will be stable. If I go to the left lane, though, I get the full 1" jerk to the left, and the car veers right off the road in no time.

The engineer said that's the best they can do.

/facepalm

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE (andre.chi @ Jan 19 2011, 11:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=392232
Well, my car has been into the dealership 3 times now. The first time, they assured me this camber pin would fix it. It didn't.

The second time, they spent all day with the car and gave it back to me saying that it was within Hyundai spec and the car should be fine. It wasn't.

The third time was just yesterday. I called Hyundai Corporate and they dispatched an engineer from Alabama to oversee the installation of a replacement strut. Now, at least when I'm in the right lane of a 4 lane highway, the car runs straight. Letting go of my steering wheel will still result in a slight jerk to the left but not what it used to be, and the car will be stable. If I go to the left lane, though, I get the full 1" jerk to the left, and the car veers right off the road in no time.

The engineer said that's the best they can do.

/facepalm

If it's the car why would a difference in lane lead to a difference in handeling?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.