Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got off the phone with The Retrofit Source. I wanted to order the H7 Morimoto Elite kit, but wanted to verify whether the kit should be H7A or H7B. According to the person on the phone, if the larger tab on the bulb base is closer to the 12:00 position, it's an H7A base, and if it's nearer to the 6:00 position it's an H7B base. He seemed to think my 2013 Sonata uses an H7B base, but he wasn't 100% sure. I mentioned to him that when I input my vehicle into the bulb search on theretrofitsource.com, it shows H7A as being correct. He said he thought the website is incorrect and mentioned they will be revamping their database soon.

I've searched everywhere on the internet and can't find a straight answer. I'm hoping some of you guys have ordered the Morimoto kits and know which bulb base is correct. From what I understand, if I put in the wrong bulb base and the return wire is in the wrong position, the projector will throw a nasty shadow in the beam pattern.

Help!

Thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well you're half right...

Back in the day we had a company named Xenon Supply and they offered a modification to the base of a H7 bulb that would allow it to be mounted with the ground wire down so it wouldn't cast a shadow on the ground. This mod was dubbed the 6 o'clock mod and would pretty much notch the H7 base for both directions. A normal H7 base only has one notch.

https://youtu.be/9BZGQ2nMgoI?t=5m25s

Since XS isn't around anymore I don't know what your options are. You could probably modify the base using a dremel or you could go with the base that has the notch same side of the ground wire.

It doesn't even look like H7B is an option on TRS and H7B shows no result in a search. I'd like to see exactly what they're talking about.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h...rimoto-elite.html?preselect=51812,54413,47335

EDIT:

Just talked to one of my "headlight snob" buddies and he said it's not a standard but the retrofitsource will start carrying a H7B bulb so it will mount the return wire where it won't cast shadows.

So H7B is correct for our car!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you're half right...

Back in the day we had a company named Xenon Supply and they offered a modification to the base of a H7 bulb that would allow it to be mounted with the ground wire down so it wouldn't cast a shadow on the ground. This mod was dubbed the 6 o'clock mod and would pretty much notch the H7 base for both directions. A normal H7 base only has one notch.

https://youtu.be/9BZGQ2nMgoI?t=5m25s

Since XS isn't around anymore I don't know what your options are. You could probably modify the base using a dremel or you could go with the base that has the notch same side of the ground wire.

It doesn't even look like H7B is an option on TRS and H7B shows no result in a search. I'd like to see exactly what they're talking about.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h...rimoto-elite.html?preselect=51812,54413,47335

EDIT:

Just talked to one of my "headlight snob" buddies and he said it's not a standard but the retrofitsource will start carrying a H7B bulb so it will mount the return wire where it won't cast shadows.

So H7B is correct for our car!
Thanks for the informative reply! I have been researching for quite some time, and I have seen H7A and H7B options on TRS website, but it appears H7B is temporarily not an option. The rep I talked to on the phone at TRS said they should have more available mid May. I'll wait until then to order. Thanks again C4RN1!

Reactions: C4RN1

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the h7b is now available on the TRS website. i have the bracket from cb&d for the fx-r's retrofit but might try these while doing my civic
Yessssssssssssssss finally!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to follow up in case someone else searches this in the future. The "tab" on my 2013 Limited H7 low beams definitely points down towards the ground. I uploaded a pic. So if you buy H7 HID bulbs, make sure the return wire is on the same side as the tab. TRS calls this "H7B". Standard H7 HID bulbs, or "H7A" have the tab on top and the return wire on the opposite side. They will go in the housing, but the return wire will be on top of the bulb and will cast a shadow. I know this has been covered before and in other threads, but the info is kind of scattered all over. Maybe this info will help somebody in the future.

I ordered the Morimoto 4500k H7B kit from TRS today. I used the TRS10 code at checkout for 10% off.

Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**** it! I ordered last night and got an email this morning that my order is delayed due to backorder.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
**** it! I ordered last night and got an email this morning that my order is delayed due to backorder.

I just got another email with shipping confirmation. My HID kit is on the way!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A roller coaster of emotion for you the last few days! :grin2:
Hahaha I'll probably cry happy tears when my package shows up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts