Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and callers complain they can hear themselves echoing through their phone. I hear no echo in my car. Happens both on my iPhone 8 and wife's iPhone SE, both running newest iOS.

The weird thing is that if we use bluetooth audio through the car, there's no echo. And if I use speakerphone on the phone directly, no issue. Only when using Carplay.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
754 Posts
I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and callers complain they can hear themselves echoing through their phone. I hear no echo in my car. Happens both on my iPhone 8 and wife's iPhone SE, both running newest iOS.

The weird thing is that if we use bluetooth audio through the car, there's no echo. And if I use speakerphone on the phone directly, no issue. Only when using Carplay.

Any ideas??

I'll have to try on mine and see what happens.
Note that in my setup I do not have BT linked between the phone and the vehicle. JUST Carplay.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have had that happen on my Android phone at times when using it nowhere near my vehicle. Not sure why and it has been a while, but I know I had to hang up and redial to make it go away....And yes, it is annoying as all get out and makes it VERY hard to follow any conversation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just disconnected all the bluetooth devices and it seems to have done the trick! I guess there is some glitch with audio routing when the phone is connected both via bluetooth and carplay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**** - it's back... Anyone else with this problem? Otherwise I'm going to take it to the dealership to replace the unit

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just disconnected all the bluetooth devices and it seems to have done the trick! I guess there is some glitch with audio routing when the phone is connected both via bluetooth and carplay.
Bluetooth always disconnects upon connecting the iPhone with the Lightning cable and starting CarPlay. Do you mean that you deleted the Bluetooth connection?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same issue. I think it may be a design issue with the head unit or a software issue.

Interesting that you have a 2017 as well. I wonder if this only affects that model year since carplay was an update later on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This issue occurs with my 2018 santa fe and car play as well. Wife doesn't hear any feed back or echo on her end. iPhone 6S with latest iOS and head unit presumably updated.

Haven't really dug into the issue as I forget about it after the call hangs up. LOL. It is something on my list to troubleshoot, my assumption would be the car mic and the phone mic are singing a duet.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This issue occurs with my 2018 santa fe and car play as well. Wife doesn't hear any feed back or echo on her end. iPhone 6S with latest iOS and head unit presumably updated.

Haven't really dug into the issue as I forget about it after the call hangs up. LOL. It is something on my list to troubleshoot, my assumption would be the car mic and the phone mic are singing a duet.
I still contend it's a phone (or phone service) issue.

My new iPhone 10xr and my wife's Samsung Galaxy 8s both work flawlessly, and we have the most current OS's on the phones and version of Carplay. We have Verizon service. Not one case of a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still contend it's a phone (or phone service) issue.

My new iPhone 10xr and my wife's Samsung Galaxy 8s both work flawlessly, and we have the most current OS's on the phones and version of Carplay. We have Verizon service. Not one case of a problem.
We have the newest iOS and it happens on both my iPhone 8 and wife's iphone SE.

Would you mind posting your software and firmware version from the car. It's in the setup menu.

·
Registered
441 Posts
We have the newest iOS and it happens on both my iPhone 8 and wife's iphone SE.

Would you mind posting your software and firmware version from the car. It's in the setup menu.
I could probably do that...but it's actually worked for nearly a year on the 2018...

If you're running the latest IOS versions on your phones...you might want to ask Apple why you're having hiccups - the write that code and their phone software runs off the phone onto the nav screen.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I could probably do that...but it's actually worked for nearly a year on the 2018...

If you're running the latest IOS versions on your phones...you might want to ask Apple why you're having hiccups - the write that code and their phone software runs off the phone onto the nav screen.
Let me add 2 addition key points:

1) The phone service you use can have an impact. Verizon is strong in our area, AT&T so-so, and Sprint pathetic. That varies from area to area, but a weak signal can result in echoing and other anomalies.

2) Keeping apps current that are part of the Carplay set must also be kept very current. Many of them re updated frequently, adding both fixes and stability items.

In this case...the reported problems center on the phone call quality and stability...but the Carplay package updates themselves have also come regularly to address those things. So have iPhone Bluetooth fixes within iOS updates.

Bottom line...service provider, iOS version being used, Carplay apps being current, and Carplay itself being on the most current version can all impact how that system works.

Finally...it would be interest to know if the "problem connections" are also experienced in Bluetooth mode (outside of Carplay via a USB connection).

·
Registered
1 Posts
After lots of testing I am convinced it is the Santa Fe (2017) hardware or software that causes the issue. It's my wife's car and I hear the echo of myself when talking to her. If she turns down the volume all the way it stops echoing. I have multiple iphones and service providers. Have tried multiple iOS and the issue remains consistant. I have updated the car firmware to the latest version and but there haven't been any updates for over a year now. I think a firmware update or actual hardware replacement would fix the issue. I do not think it has to do with Carplay or Apple software.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GFs 2017 Tucson does the same thing. But I'm the only one who complains about it, so she either doesn't believe me that its happening, or just tells me to get over it and ignore it. But its impossible to have a conversation hearing my own voice echoed back louder than my own voice with a 3 second delay. Glad to hear that other people have the problem so I don't feel like I'm just making all this up for fun

·
Registered
197 Posts
I recently installed CarPlay in my wife's 16' Tuscon with the map update from mapnsoft. It was the most cost effective way to do it. She has not encountered any echoing on her phone calls. You may want to see if this could be a possible fix for your vehicles. It was an easy download and update, and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also having carplay issues in my 2018 Sonata. When in my Sonata, the people I'm talking to complain about echos or glitchy or robotic sounding voices. My wife has a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica and our phones work perfectly using carplay in it. So no, its not a phone issue for me anyway. I have an iPhone XS with the lastest iOS version.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts