Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahh, finally I got a free weekend to get some of my projects done!

I planned to rotate my tires, so it was the perfect time to get my calipers painted and play around with some Plasti-dip on the rims. I picked up the G2 High Temp Brake Caliper set, some 3M heavy duty scour pads, 1 can of Plasti-dip, and some decent nylon paint brushes. I took delivery of my GT around Aug. 15th of last year and driven 9800 miles so far, so the car is still relatively new.

It was not the easiest job to scrub the calipers clean (I can't imagine doing this on an older car with years of brake dust and grime baked on). So, to start, I threw a towel over the disc, saturated the calipers with brake cleaner fluid (included in the kit) and then took to them with the scour pads, then another blast of cleaner, then left to air dry. This process took a little time, and I wanted them to dry fully overnight, so I did the cleaning in the evening and got up early in the morning to paint.

The G2 system says to paint in "a non-humid, ~70 degree F environment", so the 8am start time was the best way to go in my region this time of year. You mix the paint with a reactor that is supposed to harden the paint when it dries, and you really only have about 3 hours to use it once it is mixed, so be ready to go when you crack this stuff open. I decided not to mask anything off, but I have a steady hand, so masking isn't the worst idea for some... The paint brush included in the kit is trash, so I recommend nylon brushes that you can buy anywhere (I spent $3 and got something 100x better than what was inside the kit). The paint went on really nice, giving almost complete coverage on the first coat. You are supposed to do 2-3 coats, waiting 15 minutes minimum between coats. This is perfect, because making the trip around the 4 corners to paint left enough time to start coat 2 right away. I did 4 coats, as I had TONS of paint left in the can, and the extra coat will make my brakes stop the car in a shorter distance, right? I wish I had something else ready to go to be painted so I could have used the leftover paint. Perhaps a second car? My old Tahoe would've looked nice with these done...

After the paint is on, you can't drive the car for 24 hours, I assume the heat might affect the hardening process. So I left the rims off and got started on the dip. This was also the perfect time to scrub the rims inside and out to help reflect light onto the calipers. My GT has the 17" rims with the "chrome" inserts, and I had a chance to see user Mike D.'s rims on a different thread, very nice! I decided to do the reverse and just dip the inserts. The 2 screws made it VERY simple to pop them off, clean everything really well, spray, and replace. I am very happy with the finished look, especially after the wheels were put back on and showing the calipers through. I even had a little bit left in the Plasti-dip can, so I did the rear Hyundai emblem, liking it a lot in black to match the rest of my experiments.

I removed my "ELANTRA" and "GT" emblems and dipped my tail lights, rear bumper reflectors, and side mirrors a few weeks ago. Yes, I read the posts about how many people think it is reckless and a huge liability to have any lights or reflectors tinted/dipped/etc., but I am enjoying the look and will be sure to stay out of your cities so you don't have to get all worked up about seeing it in person

Last thing, as I was cleaning my rims, I noticed a bulge in the sidewall of one of my tires! This really concerns me as the car is just under a year old and with <10,000 miles. I am thinking it must be a defect, as I can 100% surely say that I have not hit a curb or done any damage to the tire myself (I am the only driver). I checked the manual and warranty paperwork, and see that Hyundai does not cover tires, but the tire manufacturer (Hankook) handles these claims. I called the dealer to double check this, and it is correct, they say I need to refer to my paperwork from Hankook and contact them. Naturally, the one thing that I cannot find is the Hankook paperwork that would have come with the car. Am I screwed with any sort of a claim without this? Does anyone else have tire issues (other than these Hankooks SUCKING on ice/snow)? Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated. Thanks for reading, everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
First, let me say, great job and the car is looking really nice. I really need to figure out a way to make some time to do some of these projects, but my work is picking up so it won't be anytime soon. I am very happy to have your thread and Mike D's as comparisons for when I dip my wheels. I'll have to come up with a third way to dip the wheels! (I already have 2 ideas in mind) :D

I won't comment on the lights except, I really hope they come out with reasonably priced black/smoke lens LED tail lights. I love the look of your lights, but I will wait until I can replace the whole assembly instead of dipping or smoking mine out. Maybe if I get too antsy I will put a thin coat of smoke on them. The black really works nice with your car and I have similar ideas in mind for my car!

As for the tire, I think you are going to have a tough time getting it covered. Hitting potholes, rough roads, curbs etc can cause this which is what the manufacturer is likely going to say happened. It is nearly impossible to prove a bulge in the side is a manufacture defect after driving on them for a year and these tires don't come with a road hazard warranty. I had a similar issue with a tire on my 2011 Sonata when I was about 1 year in and it was not covered. Unfortunately they don't exactly put the best tires on these cars, but that is to be expected based on their price point. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
22,792 Posts
Wow! Nice job: calipers and wheels! About the tire..."Oh, boy!" Over on our sedan side, we have a member that just experienced "exactly" what you've described: sidewall bulge." His, however, "may" have come from a pothole at a earlier time. His name is JayS109. Maybe he can offer an assist. Try a PM. All the best!!!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
106 Posts
Quick question - isn't the plastidip opaque? In which case you just completely obliterated your tail lights. Is that legal?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good job! I really like the blacked out chrome wheel inserts.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you take the pads out of the calipers? Seems like it would have been a little easier. And I assume you're going to do the rears as well?

I mentioned in another thread that I'm thinking about doing that brushed aluminum strip under the windows. Any thoughts? I did my mirrors and really like that as well.

·
Banned
998 Posts
so did you remove the calipers or painted them installed?
It appears they were on the car, right? I wonder how long the paint will last. Any chips or whatnot...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I didn't think it would take me so long to reply. Thanks to alex2006sonata, OkieRich, and vxmoto23. I've had a great time with the car and making it my own.

jamina1 - the plastidip is translucent, allowing enough light through to make the lights visible when lights are on, even without the brakes being applied. No troubles thus far...

vxmoto23 - painting the calipers without removing any parts was not as difficult as it looks or as tedious as I thought it would be. I painted all 4 calipers at one time, not just the fronts. The kit is a one-time use setup because of the hardening agent that you add to the paint, giving you only 3 hours or so before the paint becomes useless. I have also considered plasti-dip for the remaining chrome bits, but haven't gotten around to the window trim idea... It seems like it would be fairly easy, but I am afraid to even touch the trim under the windows for fear it will come off like I have seen so many owners are experiencing...

PLP - calipers stayed on for paint, I feel like the color should last a long time without chipping. I've read people still have no issues after a years time, as long as you do the proper prep and follow the instructions. Time will tell.

As far as the tire issue, I have been out of town for the last week, so I have not gotten around to checking into it yet...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I did the center caps on the wheels black and after seeing yours, I'm going to do the chrome inserts. I started on the window trim last night and it's no biggie. I messed up on one and it peeled right off and left the strip intact.

So if I hear you right, you're saying that pulling the calipers up and taking the pads out takes as much time as painting around the pads as they are. Makes sense.

I'll post some pix of the window trim this weekend when I get it done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excited to see it, vxmoto. I have a feeling my dipping days are not over yet either....

Now I've been reading threads on the K&N Intake.... I see that the gains in power and MPG are negligible, but the sound is nice. I fear that after I get it installed I will convince myself to look into a new exhaust setup.

Everything that I have done to the car so far has been cosmetic, so we'll see if I get the balls to start working under the hood. I'm no mechanic, but I read directions really well and I hear the intake from K&N comes with some detailed steps, with pictures!!!:)

·
Registered
790 Posts
yeah once I installed my K&N i thought to myself now the engine is so loud i cant head the exhaust so I had to upgrade the exhaust system haha

Any idea if your reflectors still reflect when hit with say a headlight?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That I cannot say, I plan to have a buddy drive my car sometime with me following in his during daylight/dusk/dark conditions to see just how it looks from the POV of the other driver. My guess is that there would be no reflection at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Excited to see it, vxmoto. I have a feeling my dipping days are not over yet either....

Now I've been reading threads on the K&N Intake.... I see that the gains in power and MPG are negligible, but the sound is nice. I fear that after I get it installed I will convince myself to look into a new exhaust setup.

Everything that I have done to the car so far has been cosmetic, so we'll see if I get the balls to start working under the hood. I'm no mechanic, but I read directions really well and I hear the intake from K&N comes with some detailed steps, with pictures!!!:)
I have the K&N intake and it's a piece of cake to install so don't fret it! And btw, don't worry about disconnecting the battery as there is absolutely no reason to do that. There are no sensors involved and it's not that close to the terminals.

While I agree that the HP increase is minimal, it definitely sounds great and I think it did help the throttle response a little bit. I'm waiting for a nice CAT-back exhaust option also!

Yeah, I will post some pix when I get all the PD stuff done...I have some time this weekend so I hope to finish up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts