Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my 7500 mile maintenance (oil change, tire rotation, fuel addetive).

Wanting to change the cabin air filter too as it falls u der the 7500 mile severe weather maintanance schedule but am curious if anyone’s found an alternative to the dealer’s OEM filter? I’m sure the OEM from the dealer costs a fortune so....

·
Registered
434 Posts
WIX Filters has an OEM specific cabin filters for the 2017+ Elantra now...

I found he price of the WIX to be pretty much the same as OEM, so I bought the OEM since my dealer is close to my home... otherwise I would have no issue getting the WIX one...

Out of all of the car I have owned, the Elantra is far the easiest to change.. The clips that hold the glove box are well designed to remove.

Did my 7500 mile maintenance (oil change, tire rotation, fuel addetive).

Wanting to change the cabin air filter too as it falls u der the 7500 mile severe weather maintanance schedule but am curious if anyone’s found an alternative to the dealer’s OEM filter? I’m sure the OEM from the dealer costs a fortune so....

·
Registered
174 Posts
WIX Filters has an OEM specific cabin filters for the 2017+ Elantra now...

I found he price of the WIX to be pretty much the same as OEM, so I bought the OEM since my dealer is close to my home... otherwise I would have no issue getting the WIX one...

Out of all of the car I have owned, the Elantra is far the easiest to change.. The clips that hold the glove box are well designed to remove.
Yes. A much better design than my 2007 elantra had.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
7500 may be too early to replace that filter, a lot depends on where you park, where you live etc and where you drive. Check it to see how dirty it is. I do not believe the cabin filter falls under severe for replacement and has no real bearing on much other than interior cabin air so replacing it when not needed is a useless task, check it and if good leave if for the 12,000-15,000 mile cycle or until it gets too dirty for you to live with

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I vacuum mine and throw some Downy (Unstoppables) crystals on it! :nerd:

Reactions: mmahamm

·
Registered
174 Posts
7500 may be too early to replace that filter, a lot depends on where you park, where you live etc and where you drive. Check it to see how dirty it is. I do not believe the cabin filter falls under severe for replacement and has no real bearing on much other than interior cabin air so replacing it when not needed is a useless task, check it and if good leave if for the 12,000-15,000 mile cycle or until it gets too dirty for you to live with
I replace my cabin air filters every four to six months. Every time I've changed mine, with my six month old 2018 elantra or the 2007 Elantra I had for ten years, the filters were dirty and had small pieces or debris trapped on it.

Plus the cabin air filters are inexpensive. So it's not a big deal changing it out more often.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I replace my cabin air filters every four to six months. Every time I've changed mine, with my six month old 2018 elantra or the 2007 Elantra I had for ten years, the filters were dirty and had small pieces or debris trapped on it

Yeah, as stated above, this is one of those "inspect and change as needed" items. Around here you are good if you get three months during oak pollen season, but if you live/travel where there are few oaks you can get a year.

Same with the engine air filter. If we have regular rain and you drive more open areas the filter very slowly gets dirty over time. But a couple of dry months with the trees all doing their thing and the engine, cabin, even house filters double down on the change interval.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found on ebay that the seller I’ve been going to for years for all my cabin air filters now sells an OEM replacement for the 17+ elantras. $7.97 usd for a regular and $8.97 usd for carbon filter. Went ahead and got the carbon one. The buyer’s out of California and have never had an issue. Dealer wanted $20 for the OEM filter which imho you’ve have to be completely bannanas to buy for that price.

I agree to an extent 7,500 may be to early but down south here in Atlanta and GA, pollen kills these filters fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Found on ebay that the seller I’ve been going to for years for all my cabin air filters now sells an OEM replacement for the 17+ elantras. $7.97 usd for a regular and $8.97 usd for carbon filter. Went ahead and got the carbon one. The buyer’s out of California and have never had an issue. Dealer wanted $20 for the OEM filter which imho you’ve have to be completely bannanas to buy for that price.

I agree to an extent 7,500 may be to early but down south here in Atlanta and GA, pollen kills these filters fast.
Do you mind sharing your source?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have read some carbon cabin filters caused air flow reduction. One reason I tried TYC instead. Let us know how it compares to OEM once installed.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I have read some carbon cabin filters caused air flow reduction. One reason I tried TYC instead. Let us know how it compares to OEM once installed.
I have been using TYC since me first filter change and have had no problems whatsoever. Buy them on eBay for $8.00 including shipping. Down here dealers charge $69.00 to change it!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Cam purchased something like this.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/18....jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Sure won't hurt your system just to run your blower at full speed, one dash vent opened, with and without a filter installed to compare the difference, hand feel is close enough for me. Recir has to be off.

Would define replacing the cabin air filter in the no brainer class. Major job is emptying your glove compartment box first, if you don't, all that stuff will be on the floor.

Slightly more difficult job is removing the grille under the windshield, windshield wipers have to come off first, rest is push pin rivets, sure can find a lot of debris under there, and if that drain is plugged, your cabin filter will be soaking wet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a couple cabin filters on eBay for like $3.28 a piece from China . My car has just over 6,000 miles and I was a bit surprised to see the filter so dirty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recommend the AC Delco brand. I bought two. The Aisin and the AC Delco "OEM Replacement" from Rockauto.
The Aisin has horrible dimensions. While it might work, it is not as thick as OEM and does not feel snug in its place, it just kinda wobbles in there.

The AC Delco CF3380 fit like a glove. Anyone looking not to pay the outrageous Hyundai price for cabin filter go for the AC Delco. (Now for the engine filter I think the Hyundai OEM brand is more reasonable price wise)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Back in 1980 there was 8 different types of alternator voltage regulators that could replace 90% of voltage regulators on the road, what the heck, all 12 volts, in 1990 that increased to over 3,400!

Same with oil filters, three would work for all vehicles, small, medium, and large, but hundreds of different types, just different enough so only one would work.

Cabin filters are the new kid on the block, for passenger vehicles, maybe two sizes, not that much difference in the cubic size of the interior, but again, hundreds of different sizes.

One reason, the manufacturers want a monopoly on replacement parts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I only change my cabin filter when I sense the air flow is reduced to an unacceptable level. If they are anything like the engine air filter, they filter better when a little dirty. As far as pollen is concerned, I don't know about health concerns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts