Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-I wanted to take a look at the cabin filter today and when I squeezed the lugs together 3 of them fell off. Any ideas what to do now? Do I need to get in there and pry up what the lug was supposed to release or anybody have a better idea? This is a 2009 SantaFe by the way. And once the filter is released is it easy to pull out or is it kind of jammed in? The dealer wanted to replace it and they showed it to me and it seemed not too bad so I said I'll just vacuum it out.
Thanks anyone, Pawper

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Pawper @ Jul 4 2010, 03:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338822
Hi-I wanted to take a look at the cabin filter today and when I squeezed the lugs together 3 of them fell off. Any ideas what to do now? Do I need to get in there and pry up what the lug was supposed to release or anybody have a better idea? This is a 2009 SantaFe by the way. And once the filter is released is it easy to pull out or is it kind of jammed in? The dealer wanted to replace it and they showed it to me and it seemed not too bad so I said I'll just vacuum it out.
Thanks anyone, Pawper
There's a OLD thread around here - my specific recollection is that the first inclination as to which way to release the piece is exactly the opposite of what's actually called for. A search here for the word "cabin" will probably find that thread for you.

I found this one http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=38463 but that's not the one I was hoping to spot. That user got his replaced for free by the dealer.

Ah ... got it: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=41080

There's also a part number there for the piece that broke.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll add that the filter can't really be vacuumed or blown out, it's a tight weave fabric much like the HEPA filters for home HVAC's. Just buy a new one, but don't buy it from the dealer, they are about $35. You can get them online for half that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the answers and the link. Actually, my dealer wants either $89 or $99 (can't recall exactly) for a new filter which is why I thought I'd have a go at cleaning it.
Pawper

·
Registered
947 Posts
The first time I tried removing the CAF on my 2008 GLS, those plastic tabs both sheared right off. It's not a big deal since the tray that the filter sets in slides in/out. I've lived 'tabless' since without issue. The filter tray stays right in place. Yes you can vacuum off the CAF and reuse it with no problems. In my climate I can go several years on a CAF with periodic vacuuming of the filter.

Joel

·
Registered
90 Posts
I suppose climate might have a small effect, it's very humid here year round, anything that sticks to a filter eventually glues itself to it due to the high humidity.

With only 13k miles, the filter was covered, 120 psi air + a 12hp shop vac wouldn't even remove a hint of what was on it.
If I have to spend $15 or so a year, so be it, gotta be one of the cheaper maintenance items you have to replace on a regular basis. :)

I suppose you could try washing it, it does feel like a fabric more than paper so would probably survive though it might lose it's shape.

If cost is an issue, go to your local home supply (or wal mart) get one of the mid grade hvac filters and cut it to size.
The blue fiber ones are crap (though they make a fine pre-filter), the high end ones will have too much air resistance for the little pull of the blower.

And to the OP, if that's in USD, I could go to the dealer, pay retail + sales tax and ship it to you for less than that. Wonder why he is charging so much for it..

·
Registered
947 Posts
The cost isn't an issue for me at all. I just don't see the need to toss the old and buy new based on how the CAF looks. If the CAF is still allowing for good airflow through the HVAC system, the filter has life in it. The only indication we have that the filter is clogged is reduced airflow. I suppose if you live in a climate with continual high humidity and mold/smell is an issue, that would warrant replacement as well. A dP gauge across the filter would be great, but just another add-on to break.

Joel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.