Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm having a hella rough time finding an exact Cabin Air Filter replacement for the 2016 HSH Limited I own. All of Amazon's recommended cabin air filter models are for the Non-Hybrid Sonatas, which has an air filter approx 1 inch shorter in both dimensions.

The correct part number from Hyundai is 97133-C1010, and this part ONLY fits 2016-2017 Hybrid / Plug-In Hybrid. My dealership quotes $32 for this thing, which is too expensive for my taste.

The only one I found to fit the frame of the original filter is the ACDelco CF177, but this filter does not have the appropriate height on the border walls (0.5 inch ACD vs 1 inch OEM)

Has anyone here have had luck finding an replacement filter Amazon carries for their 16 HSH?

Thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Try online dealers. They'll kill you on shipping (so order a good supply), but their prices are good. Also, find your best quote from online for OEM parts, then give your local dealer a chance to match—they often will. Finally, give KIA a try as they share parts with Hyundai and prices between the two for the same part can sometimes be remarkably different (either way). Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To get the exact right size you have to use a OEM filter. I to have not been able to find an aftermarket that fits like the OEM one. Do a ebay search. I see a few listed there.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey guys, I'm having a hella rough time finding an exact Cabin Air Filter replacement for the 2016 HSH Limited I own. All of Amazon's recommended cabin air filter models are for the Non-Hybrid Sonatas, which has an air filter approx 1 inch shorter in both dimensions.

The correct part number from Hyundai is 97133-C1010, and this part ONLY fits 2016-2017 Hybrid / Plug-In Hybrid. My dealership quotes $32 for this thing, which is too expensive for my taste.

The only one I found to fit the frame of the original filter is the ACDelco CF177, but this filter does not have the appropriate height on the border walls (0.5 inch ACD vs 1 inch OEM)

Has anyone here have had luck finding an replacement filter Amazon carries for their 16 HSH?
Thanks.
Check out Rock Auto:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...heat+&+air+conditioning,cabin+air+filter,6832

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
why do you think this filter fits only your car? i bet the body and dash are the same as the entire line. for hyundai to make a filter specific to only this car would mean huge expense, tooling, molds, manufacturing, etc. they are going to use a part that fits a whole pile of cars. just googling the part number shows it fitting a whole line of cars, including kia. using amazon's search, and the part number, a whole range of filters come up

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why do you think this filter fits only your car? i bet the body and dash are the same as the entire line. for hyundai to make a filter specific to only this car would mean huge expense, tooling, molds, manufacturing, etc. they are going to use a part that fits a whole pile of cars. just googling the part number shows it fitting a whole line of cars, including kia. using amazon's search, and the part number, a whole range of filters come up
Just to clarify, I did not state that this filter fits only my car. I stated that most websites with specification matches for the 2016/17 Hybrid has the wrong sized filter listed. I am guessing someone got lazy and matched the filter size for non-hybrids on the hybrid models. You can verify this by looking at the two very different part numbers (and compatibility list) for Hybrid and Non-Hybrid cabin filters.

KIA does have this filter too, but will need to research which models match what filter.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Just to clarify, I did not state that this filter fits only my car. I stated that most websites with specification matches for the 2016/17 Hybrid has the wrong sized filter listed. I am guessing someone got lazy and matched the filter size for non-hybrids on the hybrid models. You can verify this by looking at the two very different part numbers (and compatibility list) for Hybrid and Non-Hybrid cabin filters.

KIA does have this filter too, but will need to research which models match what filter.
i sold parts for 20+ years. parts are separated in to 2 groups, genuine, and all others. with a genuine part, there can be a mistake, but it is really rare. if you have the part number, that helps a lot. in the all others, companies do a lot of guessing. i always try to order parts by part number, not by description, what car, etc. even the original manufacturer makes mistakes. coupla examples: a long time ago(cause i'm old) we got a load of alternators direct from bosch, the original manufacturer. they were clocked wrong. we sent them back, and told them. bosch was a bunch of stuck up germans, who thought the war was still on, and they were winning. their response was, "yeah, right. we made them, and you are telling us they are wrong?" several months later, we get a notice from them to send the alternators back, because they are wrong. another time, the bosch parts book listed 3 different starters for the same car. so i pulled all 3 out of stock, and they were all different. of course, i knew which one was correct. so, i call bosch, and give them the part numbers, and i tell them to pull them out of stock, and call me back. when they do, i tell them that look at their catalog, and all 3 starters are for the same engine. "oh, yeah, i can see that now. which one is correct?" i tell them that i aint gonna do their work for them. even bosch cross reference guide was wrong, genuine part numbers to a bosch. their tech dept was a bunch of know it alls. so never depend on an aftermarket seller to have the correct part

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the exact same car andwas having the same problem finding some that really fit...I just ordered a few sets of OEM ones online ...for both the engine air filter and cabin air filter it ended coming to @$42 shipped PM

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright ladies and gents. After hours of research on multiple sources (many of them with the wrong information) and ordering and returning 5 different filters from Amazon, I was able to successfully find an exact match replacement.

Here's all the information around the filter part, and hopefully allows for accurate Googling results in the future.

Hyundai OEM Part Number: 97133-C1010
Part Compatibility: 2016 / 2017 Hybrid, Hybrid Limited, Plug-In Hybrid, Plug-In Hybrid Limited
Part NOT Compatible: All other non-hybrid models, all model years.

Amazon Available Replacement Part: TYC 800210P Replacement Cabin Air Filter
Amazon WILL SAY THIS DOES NOT FIT YOUR HYBRID VEHICLE. This is wrong, this part is the only one that will fit out of all the filters available on Amazon.
Link: TYC 800210P Replacement Cabin Air Filter

Have fun, and remember to replace these every 15k miles or 12 months!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alright ladies and gents. After hours of research on multiple sources (many of them with the wrong information) and ordering and returning 5 different filters from Amazon, I was able to successfully find an exact match replacement.

Here's all the information around the filter part, and hopefully allows for accurate Googling results in the future.

Part Compatibility: 2016 / 2017 Hybrid, Hybrid Limited, Plug-In Hybrid, Plug-In Hybrid Limited

Amazon WILL SAY THIS DOES NOT FIT YOUR HYBRID VEHICLE. This is wrong, this part is the only one that will fit out of all the filters available on Amazon.
Link: TYC 800210P Replacement Cabin Air Filter

Thank you for confirming the TYC filter fits. I have also been looking at part numbers and was about to buy it from the dealership until now.

I found the following link, can you confirm please if and of the filters listed aren't compatible (since you ordered and returned a few different brands).

https://www.pgfilters.com/product-page/PC99206C/2018-Kia-Sonata/Cabin-Air-Filter/

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for confirming the TYC filter fits. I have also been looking at part numbers and was about to buy it from the dealership until now.

I found the following link, can you confirm please if and of the filters listed aren't compatible (since you ordered and returned a few different brands).

https://www.pgfilters.com/product-page/PC99206C/2018-Kia-Sonata/Cabin-Air-Filter/
I took a look at the PC99206C you sent and can confirm that this will not fit the 2016-2017 Hybrid/PHEV Sonatas. It will only fit 2016-2018 standard Sonatas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You Da Man

Bought my (used) 2017 Sonata Hybrid less than a week ago and knew I would have to replace this. Already had two failures. Thanks for all the hard work.

Reactions: introspectron

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just ordered a cabin air filter for my '14 HSH on Amazon ($20.00 with shipping). The dealer gave me a laundry list of things that "I should replace" when I had the car in for an oil chance and tire rotation a few weeks ago. One of the things on the list is this filter. They wanted $49.00. I declined everything. The girl came back to me a few minutes later to show me the filter. It was kind of dark and dirty but I told them to put it back in. She then offered to sell me the filter for $20.00 and install it for free. Okay, I understand dealers have to make money but they were going to charge me $30.00 for 30 seconds of work to install a new filter. And that's why I don't have much done at the dealer!

It took about 10 minutes to get a half way decent price quote to replace both of the belts. It was still much higher than a dealer an hour away so it will end up being worth my time to pay extra to have them do it.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
She then offered to sell me the filter for $20.00 and install it for free. Okay, I understand dealers have to make money but they were going to charge me $30.00 for 30 seconds of work to install a new filter. .

Granted their quote was overpriced but it is not a 30 second job. Anywhere from 10-20 min for a cabin filter but not 30 seconds. Engine air filter could be in the 1-5 min range unless you vacuum the housing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Huh? The filter behind the glove compartment?

1. Empty glove compartment
2. Remove glove compartment
3. Remove cover to access filter
4. Remove old filter
5. Install new filter
6. Replace access cover
7. Replace glove compartment
8. Refill glove compartment

Whole thing done in 3 minutes, tops (4 minutes if the glove compartment is full of good things to eat).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have to agree with Richard. It takes close to 4 to 5 minutes to replace the cabin filter if you have the new filter next to you and ready to install. If you rushed it, you probably could get time down a bit more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got my cabin air filters yesterday and installed one in less than 3 minutes. Richard's estimate is probably a better one since I had nothing in the glove compartment to start with.

Reactions: Richard Bicker

·
Registered
10 Posts
Confirmed filter for 2017 Sonata Hybrid

Took the advice from below post. Ordered 3 from Amazon at $12.39 each. Installed one yesterday. Confirmed they are an exact match.

Thanks

Link: [I'm not allowed to post links yet]

Reactions: introspectron
1 - 20 of 28 Posts