Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation. Service writer says your cabin air filter is a little soiled. Having locked the glove box before I got there I asked - how does the tech know??

He checked it! Yeah well the box is locked so that is kinda of impossible.

Well then he went by the mileage. Yeah, right!

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Why didn't you confront him on it? Why didn't you immediately demand to speak with his superior?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just came back from the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation. Service writer says your cabin air filter is a little soiled. Having locked the glove box before I got there I asked - how does the tech know??

That tells me a lot and would be the last time that dealer ever saw my vehicle again for anything I might pay for. I wonder if your oil and/or filter was even changed:eek:

Larry

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am able to go and watch when they change the oil and filter. Made sure tires were rotated and balanced!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
They think we're all stupid. I went to the dealer yesterday to have my steering settings changed (discussed in another thread), waited about ten minutes and the service guy come in and said "it's ready". I don't think they did anything but drive it around the building because I can't tell any difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would have immediately asked to speak with a supervisor or manager of the entire dealership not just in service and told him exactly what you said. That is unacceptable.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My dealer overall is outstanding, however they would hit me up for a new cabin filter every 5,000 miles if I didn't know any better and tell them no. At $89 each to boot! I change them myself when it is really needed for $12 and 5 minutes of my time. Same with the engine air filter.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I've always used the oem cabin air filters on my older Optima and two YFs.
But I just found RockAuto selling the Fram Fresh Breeze filters for the YF, for $6.20 each. They are about $15. and up elsewhere. I have no idea if it's a mistake or just a really low price, but I snagged 8 of them for $59.84 delivered to CA. There is also a $3.00 per filter Fram rebate for up to two filters. Bottom line price is about $54., or $6.75 each. I hope I like them.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts

Dealer did the same to me not knowing I had just replaced it before I brought it in for the oil change. I said "did you check it". He said. No we don't do that because then we have to mess with your personal items in the glove box.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've always used the oem cabin air filters on my older Optima and two YFs.
But I just found RockAuto selling the Fram Fresh Breeze filters for the YF, for $6.20 each. They are about $15. and up elsewhere. I have no idea if it's a mistake or just a really low price, but I snagged 8 of them for $59.84 delivered to CA. There is also a $3.00 per filter Fram rebate for up to two filters. Bottom line price is about $54., or $6.75 each. I hope I like them.
I am using a Fram Fresh Breeze right now. It is noticeably heavier and more rigid than the standard cabin filter, but it fits perfectly. About a week after installing it, I noticed a thick film quickly building up on the inside of the windshield. I attributed it to the baking soda embedded in the filter coming out. I cleaned off the inside of the windshield and the film hasn't returned as heavily since.

The filter is holding up well and seems to be doing its job. Fram's claims that the filter deodorizes odors are a bit dubious, but other than that it seems to be a good filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am using a Fram Fresh Breeze right now. It is noticeably heavier and more rigid than the standard cabin filter, but it fits perfectly. About a week after installing it, I noticed a thick film quickly building up on the inside of the windshield. I attributed it to the baking soda embedded in the filter coming out. I cleaned off the inside of the windshield and the film hasn't returned as heavily since.

The filter is holding up well and seems to be doing its job. Fram's claims that the filter deodorizes odors are a bit dubious, but other than that it seems to be a good filter.
Hi,
I work at FRAM as the tech advisor. The baking soda is impregnated into the fibers of the filter so it shouldnt be coming off. Did you by any chance vacuum out the cavity the CF fits into? Many times dust that has settled in the compartment is disturbed when installing a new filter and out it comes. We recommend using a shop vac to clean the CF compartment before installing.
Thanks very much for buying FRAM:D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi,
I work at FRAM as the tech advisor. The baking soda is impregnated into the fibers of the filter so it shouldnt be coming off. Did you by any chance vacuum out the cavity the CF fits into? Many times dust that has settled in the compartment is disturbed when installing a new filter and out it comes. We recommend using a shop vac to clean the CF compartment before installing.
Thanks very much for buying FRAM:D
Well, all I know is that I had no film on the inside of the windshield, then a week after installing it the film had developed. Nothing else changed with the car or driving conditions. When I installed the FRAM filter I could visibly see and feel the baking soda caked/hardened on the topside of the filter...almost like a white frosting. I checked the filter today, and all of that is gone, so it had to have gone somewhere.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I usually just buy filters from the dealers parts department. They are so cheap it makes no sense to try to find them online. And then I change them myself when I feel the need.

And for some reason I don't trust Fram filters. I can't really decide why. I guess they are just the cheapest filters and I have a gut feeling that they're not built as well as some other filters might be.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I think my cabin filter was TYC brand from Amazon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts