Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I haven't had too much activity on this forum, but I've been an avid reader and learned so much about the love of our Sonata's through this forum. For that I did want to take the time out to thank this community for everything that it is.

Yesterday I traded in my 2008 Sonata SE V6 for an rx8. Although I loved my Sonata and will miss her for the joy she brought me, I could not be happier with my move. So to all a good night!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Congrats on the RX-8! :thumbsup: My friend's dad has an '04 model in yellow and that thing handles like it's on rails. Just make sure you keep tabs on the oil every time you fill up. Those rotary engines burn through it like crazy.

·
1,914 Posts
Congrats on the car! I have driven them and they are really cool cars. As mentioned, watch the oil because those rotary engines use about a quart every 1,000 miles. I think it's recommened to check the oil after every other fill up. 04 wasn't a great year for them, but I'm sure the kinks have been worked out by now.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Congrats on the RX8!
Those rotary engines burn through it like crazy.
More to the point, a piston engine recirculates the oil. Although it has to be changed every X miles/months, the same oil lubricates the engine until you change it.

A rotary engine does NOT recirculate the oil; a metering device dispenses a drop of oil every N revolutions of the rotors to lubricate the parts. In this sense it's akin to a 2-stroke engine. One does not change the oil in a rotary; you fill the oil tank.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I like the RX8's even thought of getting one until a friend of mine did. He spent a lot of time at the pump. The traffic in the DC area is insane like most major cities.
You live in Vegas lots of flat roads and your traffic is not that bad. I lived there for a short time way up in the new communites in North Vegas (not the ghetto area).

I like the interior and the door to get into the back. Nice purchase. I wish that Toyota/Subaru FT 86 would come out so I can see if I want to purchase it or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 23 2010, 10:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325686
No Traffic in Vegas :grin: Traffic was invented in Las Vegas.

Jake, why it seems like just the other day you were swapping Tail lights, and now you have swapped Cars :57:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t48807-tail-light-swap.htm
Haha! inded. I was trying to swap out my tinted lights onto my wifes black 09 and take her stocks so I could trade it in, but the dealership I got the rx8 from made things happen and took the car as is for 12k whcih was more than I owed.

The oil does burn like crazy. I already have to top her off...

Oh and for the record, my Sonata was definitely not as fast as my 8, but still fast none the less :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
OK. You've chosen a good car #1. Please, please remember that this car is for people that baby their vehicle. You MUST check the oil every other fill-up at the pump. You MUST leave the engine running 5 minutes to warm up like the good old days. Don't just take off, especially in cold weather. You're in LV so hopefully that won't be an issue too often, but I know in the desert - anything is possible.

The only reason I'm telling you this is because I considered the car before realizing the potential it has for catastrphoic failure. The newer versions will cycle the oil through the engine automatically every 8 or so shut-downs. The rotary engine simply isn't built for traffic, nor is it built for frequent ignition on and offs. It's built for planes!

Good luck - enjoy. Remember though that you will probably get generally poor mileage. After all is said and done, the reason you're doing this is to get one of the most unique rides out there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (factrzero @ May 25 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326185
OK. You've chosen a good car #1. Please, please remember that this car is for people that baby their vehicle. You MUST check the oil every other fill-up at the pump. You MUST leave the engine running 5 minutes to warm up like the good old days. Don't just take off, especially in cold weather. You're in LV so hopefully that won't be an issue too often, but I know in the desert - anything is possible.

The only reason I'm telling you this is because I considered the car before realizing the potential it has for catastrphoic failure. The newer versions will cycle the oil through the engine automatically every 8 or so shut-downs. The rotary engine simply isn't built for traffic, nor is it built for frequent ignition on and offs. It's built for planes!

Good luck - enjoy. Remember though that you will probably get generally poor mileage. After all is said and done, the reason you're doing this is to get one of the most unique rides out there.
You couldn't be more correct! I wouldn't say the car isn't so much built for traffic but it is an engine that thrives off of high rpm's. It's basically useless to drive under 3k and it always encourages you to go higher lol. I was also concerned about the potential issues with rotarys but honestly as long as you take care of it and follow its strict rules, then the engine will last for a really long time. On a day full of running errands, you can be sure that I'll be taking out my wifes 09 sonata.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts