Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into buying my first car and after much deliberation and consideration, I've decided on a 3rd gen Accent, but I'm hung up over two models being sold locally.

One's an '09 model, with 110 000 KM on the clock, and is priced at $5200, and the other's an '08 with only 80 000 KM, but priced a bit higher at $5900.

I guess my main question is, what's the main differences between the two and which model would you guys recommend assuming that they're both in similar condition and have a clean background? Also, do any of you have any tips regarding purchasing a gen 3 Accent in terms of what to look for? Is there any common damage or problems that you're all aware of? Would you recommend a different Hyundai altogether?

Cheers,
-Evan

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think that the 08-09 are basically the same car. So I would focus on maintenance history.

My 09 GS has only been to the dealer for the brake-light-recall, and ECM re-flash to address random misfire CELs. Besides that, basic maintenance (oil / filters /plugs / tranny fluid). And I just got a new set of tires after 38K+ miles on OEM. I went with General Altimax HP - 185/65R14 tires. Car feels a little "heavier" but so much better than the feeling with the OEM Kuhmos.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
They're good cars for what they are and if you treat them right they will return the favor. Very little changed during the entire MC Accent model run, mainly removal or adding of various features. Mechanically there should not be much of a difference, aside from how the previous owner treated the vehicle.

I agree with focusing on service history.

Number one concern I would have is with the timing belt. In the US, intervals are 5 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. In that case, the older one is due time-wise and the one with higher km's is at the replacement interval in terms of distance. With either car, I would suggest adding several hundred dollars to the budget for repairs if it has not been changed. It's expensive but still more cost effective than replacing a destroyed engine should the belt break.

Then look for the basics. ATF if automatic, spark plugs (OEM copper plugs had 30,000 mi service intervals,) coolant, stuff like that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies and help so far, it's much appreciated!

In regards to servicing it, do you guys generally like taking it into the dealer or a local mechanic? Also, any of you have any experience changing the timing belt yourselves or doing general maintenance at home?

Finally, are there any "must have" aftermarket mods or replacements to stock parts?

Thanks again,
-Evan

350 Posts
We sent it to the dealer until the warranty was up, then we started doing all of the maintenance at home- it's easy and it costs far less.

This board has a detailed pdf linked somewhere for timing belt replacements. I expect to be using it about this time next year.

If you're looking at automatics, learn about the overdrive bearing problem. We haven't had that one on ours but it sounds like it's nearly inevitable but not terribly expensive to renew.

The only mods we've done are a headlight reminder buzzer and low wattage LED interior lighting to preserve the battery when a door is left open. OK, and a stereo deck. We try to keep the cheap car cheap :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
At the mileage of the cars you are looking at, I assume the warranties are gone through Hyundai. The car is relatively simple and easy to do most maintenance yourself, including the timing belt. I had never changed a timing belt before and I changed mine. I wouldn't hesitate to use a trusted local shop to have work done on the car but so far I have been able to do everything myself. 105k miles and its running great!

hmaservice.com is a free website, create an account and you can view the entire shop manual online which is super handy.

·
Registered
538 Posts
These cars are very reliable, cheap to maintain cars if routine maintenance has been kept up, beware of dealers pushing 'snake oils' and other must haves to preserve any warranty. The car doesn't need it. Treat it for what it is, a basic point A to B car with average performance, good safety equipment and reasonable build quality and you will get years of reliable motoring.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 2008 GS has only seen dealer shop time for the stop lamp switch recall (Campaign 110) and for an ECM reflash to take care of random MIL lamps for misfires. Other than that, I'm almost due for the timing belt, and I kinda want to do it myself to save some coin. I just need a service manual and a couple more tools, and I can do it in my garage.

2008 and 2009 are pretty much identical, save maybe a few options and aesthetics. Engine and trans are still the same 1.6L and 4AT or 5MT. I can't remember if the '09s had the same green dash lighting as previous years, or if that was the first year for the blue backlighting (which looks way better, imo). Anyway, I agree with the others on this one; focus on how well maintained they are, that will be the biggest difference between the two cars.

·
Registered
763 Posts
anything as long as its a GS or SE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some differences of note.

The '08 rear seats have a fold down arm rest in the center, with a pair of cup holders. This was deleted for '09.

Additionally, the '08 rear bench seat could flip forward, allowing the seatbacks to fold down into a nearly flat floor. This was also deleted for '09.

I'm sure if we poked around there are a few other differences.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some differences of note.

The '08 rear seats have a fold down arm rest in the center, with a pair of cup holders. This was deleted for '09.

Additionally, the '08 rear bench seat could flip forward, allowing the seatbacks to fold down into a nearly flat floor. This was also deleted for '09.

I'm sure if we poked around there are a few other differences.
That's what I bought... a 2008 Accent SE...(123,000 km)

I did the timing belt and water pump replacement, did transmission oil change, and spark plug replacement ( i had misfire P0304) with the help of this forum

-Timing belt, tensionner, pulley, 3 accessories belts and water pump kit(with gasket) OEM parts on ebay , seller from South Korea shipped $127.00
-Spark plug replacement $17.00
_transmission oil change $30.00

And never regretted it ... nice little car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts