Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Not sold in stores TV ads are out, if unhappy with the product, can cost you a zillion bucks to send it back. Did print out the Hyundai oil filter prices of the internet, showed this to my Hyundai parts guys, I can beat that.

If you only have one vehicle and need a part, can your afford to wait to save a couple of bucks? Always had good luck with rockauto.com, but do consider shipping charges in the price.

Nobody can give you better prices than your dealer, purchase parts by the zillions and only one level of distribution, with NAPA may have to go through several layers of distribution, each one wants a piece of that pie.

For some reason, least around here, this really changed after that crash in 2008, want super MSRP prices. Chevy dealer wanted 350 bucks for fog lamps for my Cruze, screw you, purchased an identical OEM set from ebay for 130 bucks with free shipping.

But this was in the good old day, year later, GM changed the firmware so they didn't work, did the same thing for cruise control, well screw you GM, purchased a Hyundai.

Daughters base model Soul did not have cruise, purchase the switch for 15 bucks off the net, could have tacked in two wires, but to make her happy, paid an extra 40 bucks for a stock harness, was a 30 minute job. GM changed the firmware so guys with a cruise could not do this.

Purchased these so-call splash shields for my Elantra from my Fleet Farm store, fit perfectly for $9.99 a pair, that 20 bucks and installed them myself because I can put them on straight.

http://www.powerflowinc.com/pdf/powerflow-profit-splashguard-catalog.pdf

But had to lay our another five bucks for Dorman push pin rivets because you can't expect a screw metal screw to stay in an 1/8th piece of plastic.

All unibody cars need these, if you don't install them, would get stone chips on your doors and rear bumper. Never checked with my Hyundai dealer, GM wanted 150 bucks for little tiny ones, dealer installed and can't even put those on straight.

None of the OEM's designed these bodies, the DOT did, I hate dealer installed items, should come from the factory this way.

You can buy custom fit floor mats for around 150 bucks, just went with Goodyears for 20 bucks, do the job. Another mystery, comes with carpeted floor mats, ever try to clean these? For the trunk, found a black throw rug from Walmart for ten bucks, can't even tell this from stock, but sure protects the OE mat.

Cars are not made for the road, just for the sales floor.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

·
22,792 Posts
Yes, most dealer's parts countermen will do this. But they have to be coerced with a visual of what's being requested and the price. If you're lucky, they won't say something like, "Yesh, but you have to pay for shipping to get it at that price." Just like everything else at the dealership, negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. That game gets so old after a while. "Mr. Parts Man, just shut up, match this deal, I'll pay for it, you hand it to me, and I'll leave. What do ya think? Is there any reason why we can not do this?"

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
The odd thing to me is how it is inconsistent from brand to brand (and Hyundai is weird) ...

We've had Fords, Hondas, and Hyundai's.

Ford pretty much had a set MSRP price: Fuel Pump Assembly | Genuine Mazda | PELL-13-35ZA : Genuine Factory OEM Parts & Accessories | TascaParts.com - I like Tasca, but this part will be $206.73 at EVERY Ford dealer. You tell them I can get it for $158.81 shipped (I'm guessing $10 shipping) from Tasca as quickly as I can get it here, and they will say, okay - order from them then ... (And the other way with Tasca - I've had them say "Our price is $7.50, but shipping will be $5, but it's only $10.50 at the dealer, so if that's all you're buying, you might as well just get it locally.") (Basically, I just put the Tasca part in the cart until it calculates shipping, then order locally if that is more than MSRP.)

Honda - https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.co...=16010-S01-A32&vinnosrch=Enter+VIN+Number+--- - This part lists for $33.98, but Majestic Honda has it for $22.78. It is probably cheaper to order from them in this case, but if I go to the local Honda dealer, he'll initially tell me the part is $45. I'll mention the online price and he'll say "I can't compete with that guy in Rhode Island - he buys everything in volume", and I'll say "Okay, you can't match the $22.78 plus shipping price, but the MSRP is $33.98 for it." and he'll say "Okay, I can do that for you." (Same as above, put the part in the cart, but if shipped price is higher than MSRP, I buy local, but I have to print out the ad and ARGUE to get MSRP.)

Hyundai - Hyundai Accent 2013 COIL ASSEMBLY - IGNITION - 273012B100 | Jim Ellis Hyundai Parts, Atlanta GA - Jim Ellis is fairly close to me. Coil lists for $101.58, online for $85.02 plus shipping. Oddly, Jim Ellis walk-in will NOT match price with Jim Ellis online. Another Hyundai dealer will probably charge me $110, and then when I say I can get a better price, he'll say they can't discount the parts, then when I say I'll just buy it elsewhere, he'll "see how they have me listed in the computer" and sell it to me for $80 or so. <Basically, you are dealing between the wholesale and retail sale price here - except they don't track how much of a discount you are supposed to get to buy at wholesale>.

Sad you have to play the games so much, but that's the way it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.