Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to Sonata ownership and have recently joined this forum. I love my Hyundai after 6 months of ownership.

I purchased the Sonata with 38K miles and noticed immediately that two of the tires would need replaced soon. The other two tires have plenty of tread life but are a brand that I am not familiar with (Fuzion VRi). Given that I need to replace at least two tires, I have a few options to consider. Should I just replace the two worn tires with two new Fuzion Vri tires (they've driven OK so far but I don't have a lot of experience with them yet)? Or, should I replace all four tires with a more familiar brand of tires (e.g. Continental ExtremeContact DWS - have heard great things about these tires online)? I know the Fuzion tires will be cheaper ($90ish per tire vs. $120ish per tire for Continental) but the promise of higher performance ratings (per online reviews) and a 50K mile tread warranty with the Contis is tempting. It basically comes down to a cheaper short term investment in what seems to be a decent tire (Fuzion) vs. a more expensive, longer term investment in a familiar brand of tires that might last longer (Continental). Any thoughts?

A few more tire-related questions while I'm at it :grin: :grin:

Are there any negative aspects to mounting two new tires with slightly used tires (as I would have to do in buying just the 2 Fuzion tires)?

Does anyone have long term experience with either the Fuzion Vri tires and/or the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

AP_34

·
Registered
587 Posts
Fuzion tires are made by Bridgestone. If you are happy with the two on the car now and they are fairly new I might be inclined to get a pair of the matching tires and go with that until they are due to be replaced. Then you can get a complete set of whatever you want.

I wouldn't put too much stock in any tire warranty. Most of them will not be of much use if you need to make a claim on them. There will always be some reason why it is your fault that they did not last as long as claimed.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (rallyman @ Dec 7 2010, 06:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377762
Fuzion tires are made by Bridgestone. If you are happy with the two on the car now and they are fairly new I might be inclined to get a pair of the matching tires and go with that until they are due to be replaced. Then you can get a complete set of whatever you want.

I wouldn't put too much stock in any tire warranty. Most of them will not be of much use if you need to make a claim on them. There will always be some reason why it is your fault that they did not last as long as claimed.
My experience with Firestone and tire warranties has been more than satisfactory. I plan to replace my OEM Michelin's with Bridgestone Potenza Grid 019, the same tires I had on my Saturn. They cost around $100/tire and have a 50K mile warranty. I've always gotten a pro-rated price when it comes time to replace them. On one set, I only got 25K miles of useful life out of them and sure enough I received 50% off the next set I bought. There was never any attempts to blame the low mileage on me or my driving habits. Not to mention one time when I had a sidewall puncture, they worked with me to replace all of my tires at what I though was a reasonable and fair price rather than have one new tire and 3 other relatively worn ones. This is one of the major reasons I use Firestone for most of my car maintenance needs.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have 16" on my 06 Sonata. I've been using the Summitomo Touring LST, they are a good tire for the price but not sure what you can get for 17" tires. I have about 40k on a couple and they are doing ok. I have one mis-matched Good Year tire I bought from Wal Mart, it has about 15k on it no complaints, but since its just one tire I can't really rate the handling or noise. All I can say, I think the Summitomo is a more sporty tire with stiffer side wall. The Good Year no complaints but out the door was around $110.00 at Wal Mart.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you were happy with them I'd probably get 2 more and then keep up on the rotation. The surveys at tirerack don't speak highly of winter grip pending how much of that you get in your area. The reviews I read said decent but numbers didn't show that?

The DWS got good rating's from the tirerack tests in snow as well as the rest. So it depends if your up for spending $200 or $500 now. I drove on a set of the DWS's and liked them. The sidewalls seemed a little soft so turn in wasn't real sharp but they never let loose and rode nice. For my car with the 16" I'd need to get a slightly lower profile to get them which might not be all bad.

I'd hate to spend the extra unless I really disliked the tires. My truck tires I won't ever buy the same again but don't dislike them enough to shell out $800 when I can get another 10-15k (3-4 years) out of them. If 2 were shot and needed replacement I spring for the extra and swap them because 25k out of 60k treadlife tires for large $$ sucks. The warranties might be an issue pending documentation. I do my own work most of the time and rotate regularly but where is that documented with proof? Ive known many to get screwed over that way. I'll have 4 perfectly evenly prematurely worn tires and hey probably won't honor it so keep that in mind. All the warranties state it in fine print that way for a reason.

My 4 cyl Sonata wears the fronts at least TWICE as fast as the rears so keep that in mind for future maintenance also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally I like the DWS's. I've got about 6000 miles on mine now and they're a huge improvement over the stock kumho solus kh16's. We just had our first snow of the year and they got really good traction on snow for not being snow tires. They did too well in fact, I stopped normally in about 3 inches of unplowed snow, unfortunately the van behind me didn't have DWS's and plowed into me..... I have 18's though so I'm not sure if the taller sidewall on 16's will affect the cornering much. The only complaint I have about them is that they tend to track more than other tires I've had in the past.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Dec 7 2010, 07:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377773
I plan to replace my OEM Michelin's with Bridgestone Potenza Grid 019, the same tires I had on my Saturn. They cost around $100/tire and have a 50K mile warranty.

QUOTE (hmr1979 @ Dec 8 2010, 06:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377833
spend about 30 mins on tirerack, you won't regret it.
I think Tiretrack.com is a great website for tire/wheel information/ratings/reviews/etc. I was thinking of going that route for my next set of tires, but with the tire sale on now at Firestone, cost + $1, I can get them cheaper locally then from them and without the wait. Without the sale Tiretrack was about $10/tire cheaper, but that did not include shipping.

·
Registered
44 Posts
tirerack gives two oe sizes for the 17in wheels. is the difference just the 06-07 and 08-10? i have 215/55. tirerack offers 215/55 and 225/50.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (John... @ Jan 14 2011, 01:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=390802
tirerack gives two oe sizes for the 17in wheels. is the difference just the 06-07 and 08-10? i have 215/55. tirerack offers 215/55 and 225/50.
For every 10 increase/decrease of the section width, a corresponding 5 decrease/increase of the aspect ratio will basically maintain the same overall circumference of the tire given the same diameter wheel. If both sizes are listed, than both of those sizes should fit the wheels of your vehicle without any fit problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello All,

Just wanted to follow up on my original post. After much thought on which tires to buy, I decided to get a full set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. I've only driven on them for a limited time but will let you know how they turn out. I shouldn't have to worry about tires for a long while now. Thanks for all the feedback!

AP_34

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the board, first contribution. I have an '08 SE, and I just purchased some Michelin Primacy tires from Tirerack.com that are to be installed on Monday. My Kumho Solus 16's have lasted 50K miles, so I can't complain, but got stuck in the snow last week so it was time. Can't wait for the new shoes though, I hope I get a better and quieter ride. I'll update once I've had them on for a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts