Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying new rims for my 2017 hyundai elantra se.
Was just wondering what would be the biggest size I could put on it.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Just one of many sites.

https://www.discounttire.com

Select wheels, type in your year, make, and model and look at many different wheels.

Or just type in car wheels in google.

Before you purchase anything, clear it with your insurance company first, tell them what you are planning to do and learn what they have to say. Either this or try to figure out how to change the time back to the 60's before all these new limitations came into effect.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's all a matter of overall diameter, preference, and comfort. The larger the wheel you want to put on, the smaller the series tire you'll have to go. The shorter the sidewall, the worse the ride will be. Not to mention stress on suspension and steering components as well as the wheel itself, as any impact that cannot be absorbed by the tire is transferred into the wheel, suspension, and steering. My stock 205/55/16 on my VE has an Overall Diameter of 24.88". Going as high as a 205/40/18 would yield an OD of 24.45", so that would technically work. Again at the cost of ride quality. Keep in mind larger wheels/tires increase your unsprung mass which will also decrease your acceleration/braking. Sports also have different suspensions on them, so are able to easily run the larger wheels. Keep in mind if you want to increase your width, you could run into problems when steering, especially at lock, with fender clearance issues. But, like you, I prefer a larger wheel/smaller tire You can check the differences of the tire width/diameters with a quick google search. I went here - Tire Size Calculator ? Tire dimensions/diameter/circumference/revolutions per mile

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Before you purchase anything, clear it with your insurance company first, tell them what you are planning to do and learn what they have to say. Either this or try to figure out how to change the time back to the 60's before all these new limitations came into effect.
Omg, really? While I’ll agree some things might need to be disclosed to your insurance company, wheels doesn’t need to be one of them unless the owner is drastically changing the size from stock to something ridiculous.

Everyone (or so I hope) knows a well maintained brake system along with a set of nice sticky tires are what’s stopping the car. I mean, when I buy new tires, I’m not off running to my insurance company, ‘hey...look what I just purchased’. If you think about it, an insurance company is more concerned about your tires aren’t bald if there’s an accident with whom is in question as to at fault along with other key factors as to the accident.

There’s tons of aftermarket products on the market that are indeed better than factory parts. To make this brief, BBS produces wheels for BMW and other car manufacturers, but you wouldn’t know unless you ventured off to read about it since BMW and other car manufacturers have their own logo on the center wheel cap instead of a BBS wheel cap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
becareful with aftermarket rims. They may look awesome and sometimes have a cheaper price but if you happen to get cheapo knockoff wheels like I did on my veloster turbo (XXR 530 225/40/18) they will bend and crack like rubber. Make sure to get quality rims. I learned my lesson and am never going back to big/low profile tires.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Omg, really? While I’ll agree some things might need to be disclosed to your insurance company, wheels doesn’t need to be one of them unless the owner is drastically changing the size from stock to something ridiculous.

Everyone (or so I hope) knows a well maintained brake system along with a set of nice sticky tires are what’s stopping the car. I mean, when I buy new tires, I’m not off running to my insurance company, ‘hey...look what I just purchased’. If you think about it, an insurance company is more concerned about your tires aren’t bald if there’s an accident with whom is in question as to at fault along with other key factors as to the accident.

There’s tons of aftermarket products on the market that are indeed better than factory parts. To make this brief, BBS produces wheels for BMW and other car manufacturers, but you wouldn’t know unless you ventured off to read about it since BMW and other car manufacturers have their own logo on the center wheel cap instead of a BBS wheel cap.
Ha, was watching Counting Cars when Danny visited a guy with a brand new MGA kit car, guy was asking $25K for it, Danny passed this up, while an extremely neat job, can't get insurance on these things.

Son wanted me to get started on a project liked this called over a dozen insurance companies, the one or two that would cover it wanted just as much for the premium as the coverage they were offering.

Replacing wheels of a different size is major, affects the entire handling of the vehicle, don't have to take my word for it, call your insurance company first. If involved in an accident, your fault or not, may not have any coverage.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Beyond that, if you go with the best wheel ever made and the cost is 2-3X the OEM wheel, good luck getting full reimbursement if they are stolen or damaged. Around here the insurance company adds a premium for aftermarket high dollar items like wheels, gonzo sound systems, etc. You don't have to pay the additional premium, but then they don't have to cover the loss, either.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Ha, as a kid dumped into a dirt poor family, for 150 bucks could drop in a late model low mileage V-8 in a 48 couple and leave spoiled brat rich kids in the dust. Can't do this anymore, use to live in the land of the free.

Basic liability was only 5 bucks per month, and they didn't care what you did with your vehicle. But feel those spoiled brat rich kids got their revenge by taking over this country.

Can buy one of these for $30K if you want to leave other vehicle in the dust.

But 55 still means 55.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ha, as a kid dumped into a dirt poor family, for 150 bucks could drop in a late model low mileage V-8 in a 48 couple and leave spoiled brat rich kids in the dust. Can't do this anymore, use to live in the land of the free.

Basic liability was only 5 bucks per month, and they didn't care what you did with your vehicle. But feel those spoiled brat rich kids got their revenge by taking over this country.

Can buy one of these for $30K if you want to leave other vehicle in the dust.

But 55 still means 55.

30k is kind of a hope and a dream for that car. Most around here are going close to 40, lowest being 35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
30k is kind of a hope and a dream for that car. Most around here are going close to 40, lowest being 35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a road where you can legally open it up? Top speed is 167 mph. same as my Supra. Could go faster, but has a governor to limit this speed.

Ha, already got a speeding ticket in this thing driving 58 mph in a 55, fine wasn't bad, three bucks, but that 200 buck court cost killed me. Picked up a couple mph going down a steep hill.

In 1994 Al Gore banned R-12 refrigerant, sure he was getting a kick back from DuPont, just received a patent on R-134a, but you still could buy it in the USA, but instead of a quarter, 25 cents a pound, was as high as 80 bucks a pound.

South of our border clear down to Peru, R-12 was plentiful, but if you tried to smuggle in a can of it, worse than bringing crack back.

But Canada banned it completely, most vehicles to convert to R-134a required a complete change in the AC system from the firewall forward, but parts were not even available. If you R-12 system went bad, you Canadians were dead. But know of several that came down here for service, paying 80 bucks was cheaper then completely redoing the entire system.

It was never proven that R-12 was causing the Antarctic ozone depleting, NADA could not find a single molecule of it. You can't have an ozone layer without sunlight, and no sunlight means no ozone layer, NASA concluded wind currents were mostly responsible for changing what was left of it.

Besides, CFC's, only 4% of the total production was used for its intended purpose, refrigeration, other 96% was used for cleaning and spray cans.

Still have spray cans, using propane instead. but these can also be used as a flamethrower rest was shifted to soap and water.

Now saying R-134a is causing global warming, can believe this, it is not biodegradable, R-12 is, so now the EPA wants to replace this, guess what, with propane. Was against this for years because of the fire hazard.

Supra uses R-12, in 30 year only had to add 2 ounces to it, tube and fin condenser is practically bullet proof. New systems are crap, using aluminum foil for the condenser and super leaky quick coupler ports, one little stone can cost you a small fortune. Still exposed and using woman's facial cream for the lubricant.

If only Americans had more technical knowledge, we the people would have a say in this matter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts