Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First time posting on the Elantra forum. I am currently driving a 2007 Azera Limited that is starting to die on me (13.0mpg local!!!!). I "think" I have settled on the 2018 Elantra, and I am trying to figure out if I should go for the 1. Value 2. Limited 3. Limited w/Ultimate or 4. Sport (Since I coming from the V6).

I have a few questions:

1. How comfortable is the driver seat for tall guys? I am 6'3" and 250lbs (long top/shorter legs)
2. How do you guys feel about the quality of the cloth seats in the Value vs the leather in the Limited and Sport?
3. My daily commute is 7-10 minutes, all local driving. I probably won't see a highway until the weekends. How bad is the real world mileage around town vs the stated?
4. How is merging on to the highway?
5. For the golfers, can I fit my cart bag completely horizontally and have my golf cart in the back of the trunk? Kind of a dealbreaker for me! haha

Sorry for so many questions!

Thank you, in advance!

Danny

·
Registered
369 Posts
Get a sonata lol. Just more room for your needs and more power. I’m 6’3 and 175. If I was any bigger I’d probably gotten a bigger car but I fit well in it. I have an 18 sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a sonata lol. Just more room for your needs and more power. I’m 6’3 and 175. If I was any bigger I’d probably gotten a bigger car but I fit well in it. I have an 18 sport.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that! I had a '16 Elantra Limited as a loaner and I remember not feeling claustrophobic in it. When I drove my friends '16 Sonata Hybrid SE, I remember feeling trapped (too close to headliner) and the aerodynamics of the car make it hard to not hit your head when getting in.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was hoping you wouldn't say that! I had a '16 Elantra Limited as a loaner and I remember not feeling claustrophobic in it. When I drove my friends '16 Sonata Hybrid SE, I remember feeling trapped (too close to headliner) and the aerodynamics of the car make it hard to not hit your head when getting in.

If you fit in the 16 fine you’ll fit in the 18 probably even better as they gave it a bit more room.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If were you I would buy something else. I have 2017 Elantra it takes forever to warm up. (i live in Canada). My commute is almost same as yours so mileage is not what they said.It came up as 15.9 in city and 5.6 Highway. (Kmp/h)

·
Registered
369 Posts
If were you I would buy something else. I have 2017 Elantra it takes forever to warm up. (i live in Canada). My commute is almost same as yours so mileage is not what they said.It came up as 15.9 in city and 5.6 Highway. (Kmp/h)

7-10 min commute is usually not long enough for a car to fully warm up in a cold climate. Even here in NC it took my 2016 a bit to warm up. Also, letting it idle to warm up is not the greatest thing to do if that’s what you’re doing.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If you fit in the 16 fine you’ll fit in the 18 probably even better as they gave it a bit more room.

I disagree with you. No offense, but I dunno how you’re cramming yourself in this midsize car at 6 feet + :wink:

The OP is coming from the Azera platform which is more along the size of the Sonata. I’ve said this from the very start since joining the forum —> making a car purchase is a serious decision and I would go to your nearest car rental company and rent the car for a few days. If you like it, then purchase one.

Everyone’s opinion will different given their own personal taste. Now that being said...I own the 2018 Sport model and absolutely love it. The car looks so sleek and sexy. The limited had a few features I wish were on the Sport model like power front seats...but I can easily speed onto the freeway without worrying about the power being their to quickly get me onto the freeway...unlike the SE/Limited models which are really sluggish to accelerate in comparison to the Sport model.

The Sport model has bucket seats with more lateral support which cradles your torso far better than the other platforms. The Sport model is also sweet as they’re so rare...so you’ll be one of the few on the street that owns one which makes it feel more exclusive. Love the D shaped steering wheel on the Sport platform. That might make a difference too when it comes to drives leg room given the flat bottom sharp of the steering wheel.

MPG- I’m always filling with premium, and the MPG is as mentioned by Hyundai or better. You don’t have to fill with premium as to the Sport model, but it’s highly recommend.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I disagree with you. No offense, but I dunno how you’re cramming yourself in this midsize car at 6 feet + :wink:

The OP is coming from the Azera platform which is more along the size of the Sonata. I’ve said this from the very start since joining the forum —> making a car purchase is a serious decision and I would go to your nearest car rental company and rent the car for a few days. If you like it, then purchase one.

Everyone’s opinion will different given their own personal taste. Now that being said...I own the 2018 Sport model and absolutely love it. The car looks so sleek and sexy. The limited had a few features I wish were on the Sport model like power front seats...but I can easily speed onto the freeway without worrying about the power being their to quickly get me onto the freeway...unlike the SE/Limited models which are really sluggish to accelerate in comparison to the Sport model.

The Sport model has bucket seats with more lateral support which cradles your torso far better than the other platforms. The Sport model is also sweet as they’re so rare...so you’ll be one of the few on the street that owns one which makes it feel more exclusive. Love the D shaped steering wheel on the Sport platform. That might make a difference too when it comes to drives leg room given the flat bottom sharp of the steering wheel.

MPG- I’m always filling with premium, and the MPG is as mentioned by Hyundai or better. You don’t have to fill with premium as to the Sport model, but it’s highly recommend.

Hahaha I didn’t think I’d fit in the Elantra as well when it was first shown to me. But I’m pretty comfortable in it, but I’m also not the biggest guy. Only 170-175 so the seat fits me bout perfect. Plenty of headroom. I love the sport as well, glad I upgraded for sure. But like I said in my original post, I’d go with a sonata as well if I were him given his requirements and what he’s used to.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hahaha I didn’t think I’d fit in the Elantra as well when it was first shown to me. But I’m pretty comfortable in it, but I’m also not the biggest guy. Only 170-175 so the seat fits me bout perfect. Plenty of headroom. I love the sport as well, glad I upgraded for sure. But like I said in my original post, I’d go with a sonata as well if I were him given his requirements and what he’s used to.

Eh, then I’m in agreement as to the Sonata statement. Dude, you’re tall...you must really depend on the BSD in your side mirrors (I’m kidding). Love, love...love the Sport model! Every time I see mine, it makes me smile.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Eh, then I’m in agreement as to the Sonata statement. Dude, you’re tall...you must really depend on the BSD in your side mirrors (I’m kidding). Love, love...love the Sport model! Every time I see mine, it makes me smile.

Hahahahaa. Who uses mirrors anyway? Or turn signals for that matter. I had a guy pull me to the side today and ask me about it cause he couldn’t believe it was a Hyundai.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed a remote starter and usually give 10-12 minutes to before I start driving that being said my 2002 Chevy still warm up faster than Elantra, Good thing is that Elantra have heated seats otherwise its just brutal in -20. (c)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hahahahaa. Who uses mirrors anyway? Or turn signals for that matter. I had a guy pull me to the side today and ask me about it cause he couldn’t believe it was a Hyundai.

I know, right. It’s such an awesome little car. I love seeing the surprised faces as I zip by, then the open jaw with the expression like...’that’s a hyundai?’ The Sport model is really where it’s at with the excitement factor. Are you fully using the BlueLink features on yours? Man, I use the remote start feature all the time. I’m addicted to it.

I was waiting on my wife while keeping an eye on the baby (the car) when a couple of people walked up to take a look at the car. My wife was finishing up and we were close to leaving, so I used the remote start feature and the people looking at my car jumped ever so slightly back. It was a funny moment. We talked a little and the people looking at my car were deeply intrested in it.

Man, I absolutely love my car!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the Elantra GL (SE w/popular tech pkg) I'm 6'2 and 250lbs I fit comfortably in it, merging is great especially with the blind spot detection. Not sure about the club's though lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the responses! I had dinner with my wife last night and she suggested that we switch cars when we get the new car. (of course she wants the new toy!!!) This "possibly" eliminates the size issue. Thank you for the rental suggestion. I did drive a 2016 Elantra Limited for 4 days and had no problem fitting into the car and my knees were not close to the dash, so I am not sure if I need to repeat. While I love my Azera, and I'll probably miss the acceleration of the V6, I am getting sick and tired of the poor mileage at 10.5 years old and 147k miles. It's time to move on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
IMHO the Elantra Limited is a bargain. Much more upscale feel to it (leather, HID headlights, etc.) than the lower trim levels at not much of an increase in actual selling price.
However adding the Ultimate package (US$4300!!) ain't such a bargain unless you get a BIG dealer discount on it (or just have to have all the extra features).

Regarding mileage- most any vehicle's mpg stinks on single short city trips. Engine running mainly cold in stop/go driving. FWIW- This winter my E typically gets 25-28mpg for short (2-5mi) city drives, which I'm pleased with. Those kind of short city trips I got 19-21mpg from my 2010 Nissan Altima, and as low as 11-12mpg in my wife's 6cyl minivan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMHO the Elantra Limited is a bargain. Much more upscale feel to it (leather, HID headlights, etc.) than the lower trim levels at not much of an increase in actual selling price.
However adding the Ultimate package (US$4300!!) ain't such a bargain unless you get a BIG dealer discount on it (or just have to have all the extra features).

Regarding mileage- most any vehicle's mpg stinks on single short city trips. Engine running mainly cold in stop/go driving. FWIW- This winter my E typically gets 25-28mpg for short (2-5mi) city drives, which I'm pleased with. Those kind of short city trips I got 19-21mpg from my 2010 Nissan Altima, and as low as 11-12mpg in my wife's 6cyl minivan.
I would be extremely happy with 25-28mpg on my short commute! Since I started having issues, my local driving has dropped down to under 13mpg. I can't deal with it anymore and would definitely deal with a smaller car to get it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would be extremely happy with 25-28mpg on my short commute! Since I started having issues, my local driving has dropped down to under 13mpg. I can't deal with it anymore and would definitely deal with a smaller car to get it.
Real world 13mpg seems low to me, but then the '07 Azera V6 was only EPA rated at 17/26mpg (just a tick better than my wife's minivan).
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/23293.shtml
Using the (2.0/auto trans) Elantra's EPA est of 28 city and your Azera's actual mpg vs EPA city est, not unreasonable to predict a new Elantra might do 21-22mpg for your driving conditions (short commuting). Or even better considering most Elantra owners seem to be beating those EPA estimates in our real world driving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Real world 13mpg seems low to me, but then the '07 Azera V6 was only EPA rated at 17/26mpg (just a tick better than my wife's minivan).
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/23293.shtml
Using the (2.0/auto trans) Elantra's EPA est of 28 city and your Azera's actual mpg vs EPA city est, not unreasonable to predict a new Elantra might do 21-22mpg for your driving conditions (short commuting). Or even better considering most Elantra owners seem to be beating those EPA estimates in our real world driving.
The 13 is low because of a few issues with the catalytic converter (using cat cleaner for now - replacing all three = $2,500) and probably 3 O2 sensors on the way out (replaced one that failed). The car has served me very well for 10.5 years and it's time to move on. I would take the 21-22mpg during the week, because I could quickly bring it up over the weekend travel.

I am using Honcker to price out some leases and the difference between the Value (as low as $153/month), Limited (as low as $179), Limited w/ultimate (as low as $258). All leases are $0 down/just pay taxes and fees (about $1,300) and 12,000 miles for 3 years. I am interested in the Leather seats of the Limited, but there no way I am paying the exta $ to get the sunroof. At this point, I just might deal with the cloth seats in the Value Edition because it has everything else I need.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Only way to know if you will fit is to test drive one. The opinions of all of the most well intentioned, well informed people in the world is worth nothing compared to taking a test drive to see how you'd fit.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Only way to know if you will fit is to test drive one. The opinions of all of the most well intentioned, well informed people in the world is worth nothing compared to taking a test drive to see how you'd fit.
In full agreement with your assessment.

...then again, I know the likes of certain media places wouldn’t like a customer thinking for themselves and would rather have the consumer take a media opinion.

I’m back with the rental option since a test drive is under the dealership controlling a potential sale. Man, $25-40 on a rental to fully test so many features out without the added pressure to make a purchase feels oh so comforting. Yeah, it’s a given certain packaged options won’t be on car rentals and renting a limited model might be scarce in the market, but a potential consumer can test those features out at a dealership.

It’s not difficult to gage an opinion on leather vs cloth seats, HID headlights vs normal....and on and on. The radio along with certain safety features could play a role into a purchase, but the basic car no matter if it’s the limited or SE model all have the same suspension, design body, and whatnot.

This is becoming a long post...so, I’ll just say...

The new redesigned Toyota 2018 Camry might be worth looking into. The interior cabin reminds me a lot of Honda per a design element (it looks so futuristic on the interior). I sat in it and messed around with it for a bit, but at that time I already made my purchased and I’m happy with my choice with the Elantra. I’m not basing my opinion on b/c I already made a purchase at that time. It’s just, if I wanted what Toyota now offered on their 2018 Camry at the time of making a purchase, I would have went with Honda for several reasons....BUT, I’m not feeling those types of interiors that look so edgy and futuristic nor am I into things that look dull.

In my opinion the Elantra AD platform offers what I think is balanced without over doing it from a visual design element.

Reactions: mmahamm
1 - 20 of 40 Posts