Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2011 Sonata used in 2012. Had it for a few years and it was a good car. Ended up replacing that with a little Mazda 3. It's been fun but I want to get back into something bigger again.

I've been looking at the new Sonatas and I think that's probably the route I'm gonna take.

I was looking at an SEL with the Tech package, but then I made the mistake of driving the Limited with the Ultimate pkg. Now I don't know what to do. I honestly have no use for leather seats or a sunroof (Nav either, kinda redundant with Carplay) but the extra items sure are nice, as is the bigger touch screen. Is it really worth $6k more though?

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's difficult to really say. I had the option to buy a 2018 but ended going certified pre-owned because over the years Hyundai has been removing some luxure features from the sonata to make a more clear distinction between Hyundai and the Genesis brand. In my own opinion, stepping up from the SEL is worth it. My reasoning being the safety features (and empty buttons really annoy me), though you can add those for an extra 1k on the SEL. The parking sensors don't really do much unless youre in a snowy/muddy area where the backup camera always gets dirty. Same with the heated steering wheel in cold climates, definitely worth it. The sunshades are nice if you have children, and high beams are great if you live off the beaten path like me. Lastly, the sound system imo is worth the upgrade alone. The dimension audio on the SEL is a horrible experience for loud listeners.

I also can't stand the refreshed looks. I think they're horribly excessive. But I heard they go conservative and then outlandish each refresh to appeal to the styling preferences of both American and Korean markets. Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I really want the SEL to be all I need, but my brain and my heart are both telling me I'm going to be happier with the Limited. I almost feel like the SEL even with the Tech package is a step down in terms of equipment from my Mazda 3 Touring.

·
Registered
86 Posts
After 30 years of Camrys I bought the Limited last fall. I am very happy with it. Mine was $26,000 plus state tax OTD for the non-turbo 4 cyl.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dimension audio on the SEL is a horrible experience for loud listeners.
Please explain more on this, I got the 2018 Hyundai Sonata SEL and I recently sat in the rear of my car while my friend drove it and the sound in the rear speakers are way lower than the front. Is there a way to fix that?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please explain more on this, I got the 2018 Hyundai Sonata SEL and I recently sat in the rear of my car while my friend drove it and the sound in the rear speakers are way lower than the front. Is there a way to fix that?
Could be that the fader adjustment is too far forward?

·
Registered
156 Posts
imo, get a CPO 2017 limited turbo. The extra power is well worth it. The really nice part about the turbo engine is if you drive it normal. It doesn't sound 'busy' like the 2.4 does. Just make sure you buy from a dealership that offers lifetime powertrain if you plan to keep it well past the warranty.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Watch out with the "dealer" lifetime warranty. They'll have you in every 4K for $200 checks and $350 "service". I have one by me that offers that, and when you put in $2400 of "service" to 60K, a $400 "service" is coming at 90K. They offer lifetime tires, again pay for tire rotation and alignment every 6 months at $$$.

I posted their flier on one of my messages.

Get a CPO, that is from Hyundai. Plus, a dealer changes names... by-by dealer warranty ! !

I saw a long time Ford dealer do that, gave lifetime oil changes since the 80's. One day the dealer just closed. Months later found out one of the employees stole some $300K from the dealership. They never opened under that name again. Lots of angry customers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started with 2015 2.0t sport non limited (new), loved this car but it was totaled 5 month later by teen running red light. Went to 2016 Ram 1500 sport crew. Now I'm in 2018 sonata 2.0t limited and it is miles above my 2015 sonata. The infinity stereo sounds great, Led headlights are night and day vs non led lights, heated and cooled seats, adaptive cruise control all tech features to me are worth it. My 2015 left me wanting the options i skipped after 1 month of ownership. These cars are great either way, the only person who can answer is it worth it is you. Will you be happy down the road with tech vs fully loaded.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's sitting dead center actually
Could it have something to do with the fact that 4 of the speakers are in the front and only 2 in the rear? I would just adjust it for whichever position that you are in the most.

I am curious for the answer to your question too about the stereo. I do not have the money to upgrade to the LTD (would love the better stereo but at most will get an SEL wTech). There is an Elantra thread talking about the stereo in the Elantra and a lot of people praise the stock stereo and speakers in the Elantra. i was hoping for the same thing with the Sonata, that the stock stereo and speakers would be pretty good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not that I know of. I only test drove it. It didn't sound good at all so I quickly went back to the lot and tried the Limited. They really wanted me to buy new but I went for a CPO. On another note my friend has a 2015 Elantra with the dimension audio and that one is just as bad

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
398 Posts
I really want the SEL to be all I need, but my brain and my heart are both telling me I'm going to be happier with the Limited. . .
I think that if you plan on keeping the car over the long haul, get the Limited; if you plan on trading every 3 years, go with the SEL (and hope you don't build a personal bond with it). In past purchases, I usually end up wishing I'd gone with the upgraded model.

My [paraphrased] adage, "The Bitterness of Mediocre (with the car payment) remains Long after the Sweetness of it's Low Price is Forgotten".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up going with the Limited. It was quite a bit more but what the heck. You only live once so enjoy it. Also I figure the trade in value will be better down the road.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
398 Posts
I don't think you'll regret your decision, especially since it has the 'Ultimate Package'. Whether you ever use the extra electronics and 400 watt sound system, it's available to play with. Bet You're gonna love that heated steering wheel in Illinois.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts