Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking at a 2008 AWD Santa Fe. Anything I should be concerned about? Common mechanical, audio, or body problems? What are the major differences between them and the '10's? Any help is appreciated.

If I buy it, the wife will be so excited I have an excuse to spend twice the amount of time on the forum as I normally do! :p

·
Registered
947 Posts
What model and what engine does it have? 2.7L or 3.3? The 2010's have a different front fascia and totally different powertrain. I own a 2008 GLS AWD 2.7L and love it. There's no real consistent weak spots or trouble spots on these vehicles. Being a used 2008, first thing I'd do is change the transmission fluid. There's lots of coverage on that on these forums. When I got mine used last Sept, I swapped out the ATF, transfer case oil, rear diff oil and engine coolant. Pretty easy compared to some vehicles I've maintained.

Joel

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (ultragod @ May 28 2010, 01:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327392
Hey all,

I'm looking at a 2008 AWD Santa Fe. Anything I should be concerned about? Common mechanical, audio, or body problems? What are the major differences between them and the '10's? Any help is appreciated.

If I buy it, the wife will be so excited I have an excuse to spend twice the amount of time on the forum as I normally do! :p
Before you take delivery, just be aware of a couple of small trouble spots. Front stabilizer bar links have been known to fail early. Make sure they're checked and dealt with under warranty before you buy. Second item won't be such an issue if that vehicle has lived in your area its whole life, but in the rust belt it should be an annual event - the rear caliper slides should be cleaned and lubed so that you don't hang a rear brake and ruin pad/rotor. In your area, I'd consider doing this every other year, and being a 2008, it's the "every other" already. Last, if it still has the original Bridgestone 684II tires, don't be surprised if they're toast at 30K miles and run hard/noisy. It's the nature of the original junk tires. You'll find a couple of threads here that deal with the replacements people have made and how they feel about them.

Apart from that, there's very little to report on these vehicles of interest.

·
Registered
399 Posts
No problems experienced on our 26,000 mile '07 Limited FWD 3.3L. Zero complaints. Get it and enjoy it.

·
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the 2.7. Thanks for the info, I'll have to look at where its been and check out the stabilizer bar links for sure. It's certified preowned, so that might help with getting those links looked at and changed if need be.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (ultragod @ May 31 2010, 02:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328025
It's the 2.7. Thanks for the info, I'll have to look at where its been and check out the stabilizer bar links for sure. It's certified preowned, so that might help with getting those links looked at and changed if need be.
The 2.7 needs a new timing belt every 100,000km or so, whereas the 3.3 uses a long-life chain.

With respect to the stabilizer links, simply listen for knocking sounds over low-speed bumps or rock the vehicle from side to side while feeling the connection where the long bar running under the transmission connects to the vertical linkage at each wheel. Apparently they are not expensive to replace; mine were done under warranty.

Overall the '08s are a pretty good buy. Very solid vehicle, with fewer bugs than the '07s.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our 2008 2.7l GLS AWD w/25k miles runs like a Swiss watch or I should say a well built in Alabama SUV.
every 7500 miles do it myself change oil and filter use conventional Castrol 05w-20w oil, Hyundai factory oil filter.
changed air filter once and cabin filter 3 times.
rotated tires twice.
recently rear wiper blade replaced. Frts are still streak free.
never seen a Hyundai service dept.
Runs Great.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Listen for the sticky calipers. Just had mine serviced at 31k. No pad wear, thankfully, though. Relatively inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
947 Posts
QUOTE (jsven @ Jun 10 2010, 10:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331638
Listen for the sticky calipers. Just had mine serviced at 31k. No pad wear, thankfully, though. Relatively inexpensive fix.

That's a fact. For the first time in my life I paid my local mega-dealership (which includes Hyundai) "Quick-Lane" to do a tire rotation and caliper clean/lube while I waited. Normally I do it myself. I actually rolled out the jack and jackstands, tire iron, etc.. Crawled under and then lost interest in a big way!! My 2008, purchased used w/40K had the rear pads swapped with Carquest pads unbeknownst to me. All the rotors are original. At 51Kmi the pads badly needed to be removed, the contact points, pins, etc re-lubed. It was well worth the $75 spent. If you want your brakes to last more than ~30Kmi, especially in the rust belt, this is a job you might want to consider.

Joel

·
Registered
10 Posts
I considered doing it myself too, but decided it was too much of a hassle. It cost me around the same to have all four done. Problem solved! I caught it early enough that the pads weren't worn down much at all.

·
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually ended up buying it today. It looks to be in pretty good shape, I didn't notice any of the problems you guys brought up, but I'll definitely keep an eye out in the future. I took it on a 24-hour test drive before I bought it, so my wife and I were able to get a good feel for it. She loves it, although she would like to get some sort of iPod integration with the stock radio. If anyone has any tips on that it'd be awesome. It's the slate blue metallic, and I'll get some pics up soon (it's too dark now). It didn't come with the cover for the stowage area, and it is missing a fog light blank. Is there anywhere cheap to get those.

Also it only came with one programmed fob, so I will Google it, but if anyone knows what to do offhand to program another, feel free to share with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts