Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, fellow Sonata enthusiasts!
I have just checked out a 2009 Sonata in my search for the next car. Overall, the car looks and runs great, 1 owner, 40K miles, no accidents, clean AuotoCheck, maintenance records. What made me pause is some rust in top engine area(bolts, few connecting pipes), also underneath front and rear of the car and metal rims. I wonder how typical this is or it's a definite sign of the car being flooded before? I also checked out a few other Sonatas and no rust around engine(but other issues:)) This is in New Jersey(humid but far from the coastal flood areas)

Thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Have your mechanic check it out. rust around bolts underneath, the exhaust or the engine are common no matter where you live, NJ, well you do use salt on the roads but corrosion would be mostly on body and especially the brake lines. For $50-75 have your mechanic check it out if you are really interested in the car. If one ownere and you knwo where they live you may be able to tell if a flood car but you would have a lot of rust in areas not common and interior issues.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
As I understand it, if a car has flood damage, an expert can spot it pretty darn quick by looking in the trunk underneath the mat, as armtdm said. I don't think the engine is one of those places where they look for flood damage. Agreed on having it checked out by a mechanic.

·
22,788 Posts
If the previous owner was someone that lifted the hood, hit it with soap and water, it's possible there could be some surface rusting of bolts, or iron alloys. And you're in the Jersey area. How's the winter road treatments up there? And then, there was that hurricane/flooding a while back. All things to think about. Not trying to alarm you, just point out some things to think about...which you're doing pretty well, BTW.

But, like the other guys said, I would check it out just to be on the safe side...if nothing more than for your own peace of mind.

This purchase isn't one you can take back to Wal-Mart and get a refund or store credit. You may have found your next great car.

A keen eye for detail tells me that you're looking in the right areas and asking the right questions. Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I live in a salt heavy area and both my cars have some rust/corrosion on most of the bolts in the engine bay. I'm sure it's normal!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, guys, thanks so much for your insights on the issue. Yes, it’s probably indeed the road salt that is to blame for those rust spots I saw.(how I didn’t think of that!) I will check out the car again with a knowledgeable sidekick and hope to become a proud Hyundai Sonata owner :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts