Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you would have told me a month ago that I'd have a Hyundai (2014 Elantra) in my garage right now, I would have wondered if you had suffered a head injury. But when I started looking for my work / airport car, all roads eventually led to the 2014 Elantra SE with Pref Pkg.

I picked it up Jan 2nd, and I have almost 1K miles on it ... 95% highway. It's used less than $90 in fuel, and my company has reimbursed my personal mileage appr $560. This thing literally will more than pay for itself. And even beyond that, I genuinely enjoy the car.

It drives very nicely, plenty quiet at speed for work conference and customer calls. Impressive amount of tech and features, and super comfortable. It even impresses my Denali wife, and that's no easy feat. Good looking small ride too. I'm sold!

It has the added benefit of puzzling my friends who only know me for Vipers and Vettes. My wife still seems shocked I did something so practical. I'm a bit shocked that practical isn't painful as I always envisioned. Turned on by MPG and value ... Guilty it seems.

Mike in MO

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Yes this is certainly a great car if you are reimbursed for mileage. I certainly don't mind doing work errands when being reimbursed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Haha, yes! Congrats Mike. Even with mostly city driving, I was reimbursed 251.43 after spending 52.37 my first month with this GT, and in the 13 months previous with the Limited I got back 3855.82 for the 1510.65 spent. So all my personal mileage is paid for along with my insurance, lunches, coffee's etc and I'm still making cash on a car with 100% warranty. I know when the time comes, even the tires and brakes will be covered. Welcome to the plus side!

·
Registered
798 Posts
It has so much style for a commuter that eventually you're gonna start driving it more and more.

·
22,788 Posts
Congrats, Mike. Say, where can a brother get hooked up for some of the type of mileage reimbursement you're posting. LOL That's a tad bit better than what I'm getting from Hyundai. A tad. :grin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See that's the thing ... The math of the deal covers all the expenses, plus I'm driving a car that I actually enjoy and looks great IMO. I'm old enough to remember when 'economy' meant low quality and boring as all get out. Some things do manage to change for the better - Way better!

·
22,788 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when 'economy' meant low quality and boring as all get out.
Ford Fiesta, Pinto? Chevy Sprint, Vega, Citation? Dodge/Plymouth Colt, Aries K, Reliant? Pontiac Phoenix? To name a few off the top of my head. Yeah...me too!

·
22,788 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa Rich!!!! No idea what those are!! lol
They're examples of American failure. While GM, Ford, & Chrysler were busy trying to laud the greatness of their eco-boxes, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota were cleaning their clocks!

Why, some of those imports are still on the streets, today. Yeah, they show a little wear, but they are still motoring on. When is the last time you saw a Citation? Rusting away in someone's backyard on blocks doesn't count.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
They're examples of American failure. While GM, Ford, & Chrysler were busy trying to laud the greatness of their eco-boxes, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota were cleaning their clocks!

Why, some of those imports are still on the streets, today. Yeah, they show a little wear, but they are still motoring on. When is the last time you saw a Citation? Rusting away in someone's backyard on blocks doesn't count.
Ugh, never want to see another Citation or Celebrity!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey Rich, I've owned a couple of those and a few others that probably would also fit! Does Chevy Monza count? Does this make ME and "Old Fa&t" too? I guess I'm in good company.

No question about it, the Elantra quality, comfort and safety is worlds above the Vega I had, not to mention my VW Golf, Mazda GLC and Ford Pinto too. The $3000 I spent on my brand new Pinto in 1973 equates to $15,740 in today's dollars. Not far off from the Elantra's pricing, considering....

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
A friend of mine had a Monza, I remember bringing it in a wood with friends and beating it to death and destroying it with hammers. LOL that was fun. I have a picture of that.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
okay, you are forgetting depreciation,. Your reimbursement amount includes more than gas if it is like most companies. IRS is like 56 cents a mile which includes depreciation. remember your car will depreciate 50% of its value in 3 years and even more with higher than average miles on it. You may think you are winning but need to look at the long run when your trade in is worth zilch and you need to lay out another 15,000 to replace it and did not save the reimbursement money that was paid!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
@armtdm - correct, but it works out ... i.e. if he is using the E for work, he is hurting the value more than if he just used the E privately. OTOH, using the E for work compared to using a Viper for work, he is still putting the same mileage on both cars and would still only get 56 cents/mile - and a high-mileage Vette/Viper probably depreciates more than a high-mileage E.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts