Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
33 Posts
LOL!

Honestly the timing belt job isn't that bad, like I said, doing all belts with that took me about 3.5 hours. I bet I could slam it out in about 1.5 hours now. I'd rather do it than pay the $1300 - $1400 they quoted me, anyday!!!

Ah professional wrencher. I'm only a home gamer. Have been since I was a teenager, but feel I should open a shop up between this car, my good truck, my older plow truck, my wife's car, and my other car. (Like I said, I do most of my own work.)

Sounds like you're doing a lot of the same work I'm doing!
Some of the best mechanics I know have never worked professionally, and can make anything happen with a husky tools starter set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Wow you certainly got your money's worth out of the shoes. Looks like you live in the salt belt. I take my hat off to you for doing the job. I have been teaching mechanics for 38 years now so I get to know a lot and surprising a lot of new ones won't touch drum brakes. Their scared and lack ability and knowledge. They run for cover if the car has a set of points.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I’ve been wrenching since I was a teenager.

I swore I’d never do drum brakes again. But this was easy.

Just finished the valve cover and plug rings today. About an hour and a half with cleaning. Just waiting for the rear shocks. I’ll do those and the one bad wheel cylinder (just because the rubber boots are shot) next weekend.

Nice to share this stuff so others can see it’s doable!

Checked the timing belt I did just and all looks good.

His car is nice and quiet now (noisy front sway bar links I replaced last weekend). Seems like it’s got some more pep with new plugs too!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Going to run some sea foam in crank before next oil change. Man it’s dirty in there!

Reactions: 1neeto

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This has been my year long project on the side. I plow driveways as a side hustle before and after work as well. It’s needed a lot of love and I have to do injectors still, but it has a heart of gold. 2000 Chevrolet k3500 with the monster 7.4l.

Coming up on a year of ownership in 2 weeks. We call him hank the tank, thing is serious a tank!!

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
33 Posts
Wow you certainly got your money's worth out of the shoes. Looks like you live in the salt belt. I take my hat off to you for doing the job. I have been teaching mechanics for 38 years now so I get to know a lot and surprising a lot of new ones won't touch drum brakes. Their scared and lack ability and knowledge. They run for cover if the car has a set of points.
I’ve been a professional mechanic for over 20 years and automotive brake drums still send chills down my spine. give me heavy duty truck brake drums, I can do those all day.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
33 Posts
Yeah my cylinder head was quite nasty too. Completely avoidable with scheduled oil changes. That’s a cool plow truck with the right engine inside.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yup that’s about right. Oh well. Like I said I’ll sea foam it and see if that helps.

I sea foamed my plow truck’s crank and it pulled some crap out. But the oil in that thing is always black. Maybe it’ll be better next time around. I’ll sea foam it before the change. That thing seriously moves snow without any effort. It’s nuts!

I’m a firm believer in synthetic oil. My 2004 Silverado (above, my baby)‘s dipstick looks clean when the oil is ready to be changed. I’ve owned it since 2009 and it’s always had synthetic oils.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
P.s. shocks showed up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Easy swap outs. Anti seized threads on all 3 bolts, lubed middle of bottom bolt (pivot).

With replacing 1 wheel cylinder’s boots, took us right around and hour. Got it done just before dark.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
33 Posts
Easy swap outs. Anti seized threads on all 3 bolts, lubed middle of bottom bolt (pivot).

With replacing 1 wheel cylinder’s boots, took us right around and hour. Got it done just before dark.

That’s the next thing on my list. Also the AC blower seems to be on its last legs. A few times it doesn’t turn on and I have to give it a kick.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good luck, shocks are simple. Note: the bottom bolt only come out from the inside. Outside nut is welded on to the trailing arm.

As far as the AC, that will be a bit more painful to do.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
33 Posts
Good luck, shocks are simple. Note: the bottom bolt only come out from the inside. Outside nut is welded on to the trailing arm.

As far as the AC, that will be a bit more painful to do.

Those welded nuts will get even the most experienced mechanics from time to time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It did for me! I had my big bad impact on it and was wondering why it wouldn’t come lose! Then I added heat and looked more close.... yup welded!

I’m used to through bolts (like on my trucks) with a separate nut.

To be fair the lighting wasn’t the best. Anyway, figured it out pretty quick.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts