Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the rear shoes and drums. Right rears were gone (could hear them so I knew they needed to be replaced). Right side wheel cylinder should be replaced but I couldn’t get one so I’ll have to do that later. I cleaned up the surfaces and lubed the slide adjuster and contact points.

I haven’t done drums since I was a teenager, but do discs every few years (we have a total of 5 vehicles).

Pulled the plugs and replaced them as well since it’s got 89k on it now.

Also swapped out the exterior door handle my wife broke.

Hope I’m done with this car for awhile. My son should be happy his car won’t make sounds braking now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure is, just ordered 2 rears. $50. And the wheel cylinder.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s the pic of the wheel cylinder that needs replacing, this was prior to any cleaning. The one side seal is bad. You can’t tell from the pic, bit it’s ripped on the back. Should be able to swap it without taking the shoes off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s the name of the game. I really should call and see how much the timing belt replacement along with the other belts would run. Since I did that last month. I’d figure $800

I will say this: this car isn’t awful to work on. The only gripe I have is the starter location. I know the starter has some bad “spots” on it.

For 89k, his plugs looked good (I replace one with a coil pack as well about 2 years ago due to a misfire).

Doing front sway bar links today. They are making all sorts of noise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Links are done. No more rattling sounds. The lower joints were both shot. I could wiggle them with my pinkie fingers once removed

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When I replaced the spark plugs, the 2 right coil packs were soaked in oil. Just ordered valve cover gasket with spark plug o rings. I just keep rolling here... good thing they are easy to replace. Gotta find torque specs

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
38 Posts
When I replaced the spark plugs, the 2 right coil packs were soaked in oil. Just ordered valve cover gasket with spark plug o rings. I just keep rolling here... good things they are easy to replace.

Just did the valve cover gasket a few weeks ago. The right top (when looking at the engine) engine cover bracket can be a bit of a pain. Also don’t forget the two bolts that go through the timing belt cover.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! Found the specs:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some fun showed up

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
38 Posts
Some fun showed up

Have fun. Good time to inspect the timing belt and variable valve timing chain. Also good idea to put some RTV on the corners where the gasket goes over the cams.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just did the timing belt about a month ago (idler and tensioner as well), along with all of the other belts, but I'll make sure it still looks good. I was hoping to not have to use RTV, but alot suggest it on the corners by the cam, so I'll go ahead and do that.

Local stealership charges $500 for this job LOL

In fact when i called to get quotes for all the work I've done, saved $3-3500.00

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
38 Posts
I just did the timing belt about a month ago (idler and tensioner as well), along with all of the other belts, but I'll make sure it still looks good. I was hoping to not have to use RTV, but alot suggest it on the corners by the cam, so I'll go ahead and do that.

Local stealership charges $500 for this job LOL

In fact when i called to get quotes for all the work I've done, saved $3-3500.00
Wow that’s insane they quoted that much. The RTV thing is more of a peace of mind thing for me. How was the timing belt job? According to the previous owner, he said he had the job done “a few years ago”. The car has 126k miles now, so if he did the timing belt at let’s say 90k 5 years ago, then it’s probably close to due again. When I checked it, I didn’t see any cracks, but I’ll probably do the job just for my peace of mind. I’m sure this is an interference engine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The RTV makes sense, picked some up tonight.

The timing belt job isn’t bad honesty. Highly suggest a strong impact gun.

I did all of the belts at the same time as the power steering was squealing (cracked bad!) and the ac belt was cracked too.

I got my timing belt kit (pulley and tensioner too!) on amazon. It’s a gates kit. The key to doing the job is to make sure you line the crank and the cam to the top dead center. Sounds hard, but it’s not. The videos I used on you tube were fantastic. Happy to send them to you. Seriously, just take your time and as long as you triple check the marks, you’re good. I ended up spinning the crank pulley about 360° (more like 350° roughly) as it slipped ahead when I took the timing belt off. I just put the crank bolt back in and spun it with my impact, got it lined back up.

These are interference engines. Do not, I repeat do NOT spin the cam or crank pulleys counter clock wise. Only spin clock wise!

I was worried about this job, but I’d totally do it again in less time.

Did you find my thread talking about it?

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
38 Posts

I did all of the belts at the same time as the power steering was squealing (cracked bad!) and the ac belt was cracked too.

I got my timing belt kit (pulley and tensioner too!) on amazon. It’s a gates kit. The key to doing the job is to make sure you line the crank and the cam to the top dead center. Sounds hard, but it’s not. The videos I used on you tube were fantastic. Happy to send them to you. Seriously, just take your time and as long as you triple check the marks, you’re good. I ended up spinning the crank pulley about 360° (more like 350° roughly) as it slipped ahead when I took the timing belt off. I just put the crank bolt back in and spun it with my impact, got it lined back up.

These are interference engines. Do not, I repeat do NOT spin the cam or crank pulleys counter clock wise. Only spin clock wise!

Just checked them out. Looks like a good video. Timing belt/chain jobs are usually straight forward but time consuming. I know I’m more than capable of doing the job considering I earn my living twisting wrenches, but sometimes I rather not do time consuming jobs on my free time. Insert joke about the mechanic’s car is falling apart here.

But so far I did some work on this car. I have a thread about it. Still more to come, my shocks are all gone, have yet to inspect the rear shoes, the AC blower sometimes doesn’t work the first minute or so after startup.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just checked them out. Looks like a good video. Timing belt/chain jobs are usually straight forward but time consuming. I know I’m more than capable of doing the job considering I earn my living twisting wrenches, but sometimes I rather not do time consuming jobs on my free time. Insert joke about the mechanic’s car is falling apart here.

But so far I did some work on this car. I have a thread about it. Still more to come, my shocks are all gone, have yet to inspect the rear shoes, the AC blower sometimes doesn’t work the first minute or so after startup.

LOL!

Honestly the timing belt job isn't that bad, like I said, doing all belts with that took me about 3.5 hours. I bet I could slam it out in about 1.5 hours now. I'd rather do it than pay the $1300 - $1400 they quoted me, anyday!!!

Ah professional wrencher. I'm only a home gamer. Have been since I was a teenager, but feel I should open a shop up between this car, my good truck, my older plow truck, my wife's car, and my other car. (Like I said, I do most of my own work.)

Sounds like you're doing a lot of the same work I'm doing!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts