Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
So I think I figured out what the burning smell was... seems like something was shorting out in my aftermarket HIDs. I noticed when I got home that my drivers side headlight was out.. when I got under the hood to see what was up, I noticed a distinct electrical burn smell. No good at all. Thankfully I still had my OEM headlights, so I swapped them back in.

Not very impressed with the HID kit that I wasted $150 on.. lasted all of 4 months. Now I've got two dust caps with holes drilled in them as well, that I'm going to have to replace. In the meantime, I hope duct tape will provide enough of a seal :/

·
Registered
132 Posts
So I think I figured out what the burning smell was... seems like something was shorting out in my aftermarket HIDs. I noticed when I got home that my drivers side headlight was out.. when I got under the hood to see what was up, I noticed a distinct electrical burn smell. No good at all. Thankfully I still had my OEM headlights, so I swapped them back in.

Not very impressed with the HID kit that I wasted $150 on.. lasted all of 4 months. Now I've got two dust caps with holes drilled in them as well, that I'm going to have to replace. In the meantime, I hope duct tape will provide enough of a seal :/
Well, Atleast it didn't catch fire. As for the caps. The should only be a few bucks. I had after market HID kit in my old Tucson. They died quick. The caps were only $6. Can't be to much more for a Santa Fe.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I'm going to hazard a guess and say this is slushy, salty snow or water burning off the muffler. The smell goes away so fast I can't think of what else it might be. Right rear corner is exactly where the muffler is located. If it was in fact the rubber of the spare we would smell it while stop and idling. I smelled it again the other night and the roads were pretty clear and dry for the most part with the exception of a few wet spots from melting snow.

Never had any issues in the fall when it rained so I chaulk it up to mineral burnoff on the muffler.
Yep, in fact, as I said earlier, that is what the dealer of previous vehicle told me. I thought I was being sold a bill of goods, but it does make sense given it happens mostly in the winter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Add me on the list too. It's definitely happened to smell it after using AWD button. Strange enough , this is second winter that we have the car and I don't recall to feel the smell last winter and I used the system. I didn't see on drive way any stain of oil . I was thinking about low level of the oil on the rear differential but a visual inspection doesn't show any oil leakage .

Also starting this winter (when very cold <-10C) the transmission gives quite few shocks while changing the gears. That is happening for the first few hundred meters .
I'll mention to the dealer at next oil change.
I hope it wouldn't be a gear box issue ...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Also starting this winter (when very cold <-10C) the transmission gives quite few shocks while changing the gears. That is happening for the first few hundred meters .
I'll mention to the dealer at next oil change.
I hope it wouldn't be a gear box issue ...
There is a thread dedicated to this, but it's normal - happens with most cars. The tranny fluid is not up to temp - and the shifting will be "jumpy" until it warms up.
Happened on my Jeep before the SFS, and Saturn before that....

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is a thread dedicated to this, but it's normal - happens with most cars. The tranny fluid is not up to temp - and the shifting will be "jumpy" until it warms up.
Happened on my Jeep before the SFS, and Saturn before that....
To be honest the 2013 SF is the first one that is happening so hard. I never get that on my Acura (SF is my wife's car) and neither on the 2009 SF (v6) that we own previously. Like I said this is the second winter with our SF and it's just start to act like that on last October . it doesn't happened all the time , but when is <-10C outside I get that now almost everytime. The last winter (we go it on November 2012) was ok even at -25C. That's worrying me a little bit , the reliability on the "long run" .

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've got the exact same thing - it's nice to know it's not just my car. This is my first year with the car and I noticed it after the first snow. At first I thought it was my new winter tires mounted wrong, but from what everyone else is saying there is a common denominator of cold weather/snow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had my SFS 2.0T AWD in for its first oil change and I asked the advisor. When I picked it up there was a note from the technician saying it's a rust prevention coating on the muffler that will go away, and that it's unique to AWD models. It didn't say why it was unique to AWD models which annoyed me somewhat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hot smell from right rear wheel

I have a 2013 Santa Fe Sport AWD that also has the same problem. It is 1 year old and has 8000 miles. I first noticed the smell last summer, but appeared to disappear during the cold winter months. It has been warmer recently and the smell is back. I have also noticed it is worse after driving at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just joined and not sure I am doing this all right but I have a rather urgent situation right now. 2013 Santa Fe AWD 2.0T. Originally noted burning smell and a right rear wheel that heated excessively to the point you could not touch it. Vehicle was brought into the dealer and they stated "tech inspected pad and rotors, found no discoloration or glazing." Vehicle continued to exhibit same symptoms of heat and smell only from that right rear tire. Fast forward to last Wednesday when on a business trip with 33,000 miles the right rear begins grinding. I knew what that was but had no choice but to continue as I was meeting with a State Senator and really couldn't miss it or be late. After my meeting I took the car to the nearest Hyundai dealer and asked if they could take a look at it to ensure my safety. The rotor had visible significant damage. They were great and took it in. After about an hour and a half they came out and said the piston from the caliper had caused the damage and they could not get the piston back in. (Other threads speak volumes about this issue with other Hyundais) They told me they did not have the parts and the car was not driveable. I am two hours from home and did not have an option. I told them to put it back together and I would have to take my chances. The sales manager stepped in and asked for my license and gave me a loaner car. They were alerted to the previous repair order at a different dealer on the same wheel that just failed. When I asked them they said the other three pads had a sufficient amount of material left on them.
A report and claim were initiated by me for the vehicle to ensure the repair and associated damage to the rotor and now non existent pad would be covered. The woman on the phone was courteous and gracious and explained the process that they would reach out to the dealership. I had another meeting the next day so I returned to find out the parts had not yet come in and they were not expected to come in time to make the repair that day. A later call from the dealer revealed that the part was not coming but they could get me a different caliper for an increased cost of $156 over the original part. I told them I didn't know why the cost would matter as I was expecting this all to be covered under warranty due to the earlier service. Also stated that I was very concerned what this had done to my gas mileage over the last 15,000 miles.
Again I called the consumer help line with my case number and told them of the latest issue with the parts and my continued insistance that this was a warranty issue and my gas mileage and safety concerns since the initial complaint.
Today I call them to find out the progress late in the afternoon leaving myself just enough time to get there to return their car and pick up mine. They tell me they will have a manager call me back with answers. A short while later the desk person calls and says the car is done and that I have a $750 plus bill. I asked for what and she told me they were nice enough to cover the caliper but that I owed them for parts and labor for the pad and rotor and that they had turned the other three rotors and replaced all the pads. I told her that work was not authorized. She put the service manager on who stated that my estimate should have shown this. I told him I never received an estimate and never authorized work. He said "we gave you a car and you didn't expect work to be done?". I said it should be warranty and that costumer affairs had reached out to him two days earlier. He said he would have to look and get back to me.
I have a message to call customer affairs that was left while I was on with the manager. I returned the call and they told me the caliper failure was reported as lack of maintenance and as such the repairs were not covered from their initial investigation. I told them I wanted to speak to a supervisor and they told me I would get a return call in 2-4 hours. I was not happy and expressed that to them.
The dealership called back and at this point I had already left so that I could get there before they closed. She told me the dealer manager would need to speak with all the people I spoke with before a decision could be made. I told her I was on my way to give them their car and pick up mine. She said my car would not be released until the bill was paid. I said "so you are telling me to keep yours until we resolve the issue with mine?." She said that my car would not be allowed to leave the dealership.
I called to the sales manager who actually stepped in to give me the loaner. He didn't return my call so I called ten minutes before they closed and was told he had left. My feeling that the dealership had gone above and beyond for the safety of a person who was on his third Hyundai product since 2011 became clear to not be the case.
Does anybody have advice for this repair as it sounds like this is a fairly common issue across the product line that the calipers fail/seize. As I said I suspect the caliper had been engaged for the better part of this vehicles mileage thus far. I do not want to own this car anymore. I did have the dealer quote me on a new one yesterday but I would be hard pressed to trust any deal after today's interactions.
Are their service bulletins or related materials on this type of brake failure that I can reference if I get a call back tonight from consumer affairs?
Thanks and sorry for the length....overly frustrated at this point!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Just joined and not sure I am doing this all right but I have a rather urgent situation right now. 2013 Santa Fe AWD 2.0T. Originally noted burning smell and a right rear wheel that heated excessively to the point you could not touch it. Vehicle was brought into the dealer and they stated "tech inspected pad and rotors, found no discoloration or glazing." Vehicle continued to exhibit same symptoms of heat and smell only from that right rear tire. Fast forward to last Wednesday when on a business trip with 33,000 miles the right rear begins grinding. I knew what that was but had no choice but to continue as I was meeting with a State Senator and really couldn't miss it or be late. After my meeting I took the car to the nearest Hyundai dealer and asked if they could take a look at it to ensure my safety. The rotor had visible significant damage. They were great and took it in. After about an hour and a half they came out and said the piston from the caliper had caused the damage and they could not get the piston back in. (Other threads speak volumes about this issue with other Hyundais) They told me they did not have the parts and the car was not driveable. I am two hours from home and did not have an option. I told them to put it back together and I would have to take my chances. The sales manager stepped in and asked for my license and gave me a loaner car. They were alerted to the previous repair order at a different dealer on the same wheel that just failed. When I asked them they said the other three pads had a sufficient amount of material left on them.
A report and claim were initiated by me for the vehicle to ensure the repair and associated damage to the rotor and now non existent pad would be covered. The woman on the phone was courteous and gracious and explained the process that they would reach out to the dealership. I had another meeting the next day so I returned to find out the parts had not yet come in and they were not expected to come in time to make the repair that day. A later call from the dealer revealed that the part was not coming but they could get me a different caliper for an increased cost of $156 over the original part. I told them I didn't know why the cost would matter as I was expecting this all to be covered under warranty due to the earlier service. Also stated that I was very concerned what this had done to my gas mileage over the last 15,000 miles.
Again I called the consumer help line with my case number and told them of the latest issue with the parts and my continued insistance that this was a warranty issue and my gas mileage and safety concerns since the initial complaint.
Today I call them to find out the progress late in the afternoon leaving myself just enough time to get there to return their car and pick up mine. They tell me they will have a manager call me back with answers. A short while later the desk person calls and says the car is done and that I have a $750 plus bill. I asked for what and she told me they were nice enough to cover the caliper but that I owed them for parts and labor for the pad and rotor and that they had turned the other three rotors and replaced all the pads. I told her that work was not authorized. She put the service manager on who stated that my estimate should have shown this. I told him I never received an estimate and never authorized work. He said "we gave you a car and you didn't expect work to be done?". I said it should be warranty and that costumer affairs had reached out to him two days earlier. He said he would have to look and get back to me.
I have a message to call customer affairs that was left while I was on with the manager. I returned the call and they told me the caliper failure was reported as lack of maintenance and as such the repairs were not covered from their initial investigation. I told them I wanted to speak to a supervisor and they told me I would get a return call in 2-4 hours. I was not happy and expressed that to them.
The dealership called back and at this point I had already left so that I could get there before they closed. She told me the dealer manager would need to speak with all the people I spoke with before a decision could be made. I told her I was on my way to give them their car and pick up mine. She said my car would not be released until the bill was paid. I said "so you are telling me to keep yours until we resolve the issue with mine?." She said that my car would not be allowed to leave the dealership.
I called to the sales manager who actually stepped in to give me the loaner. He didn't return my call so I called ten minutes before they closed and was told he had left. My feeling that the dealership had gone above and beyond for the safety of a person who was on his third Hyundai product since 2011 became clear to not be the case.
Does anybody have advice for this repair as it sounds like this is a fairly common issue across the product line that the calipers fail/seize. As I said I suspect the caliper had been engaged for the better part of this vehicles mileage thus far. I do not want to own this car anymore. I did have the dealer quote me on a new one yesterday but I would be hard pressed to trust any deal after today's interactions.
Are their service bulletins or related materials on this type of brake failure that I can reference if I get a call back tonight from consumer affairs?
Thanks and sorry for the length....overly frustrated at this point!
This is the kind of post that really frustrates me. Hyundai has had problems with their rear brake design for a time now and insist on calling it wear and tear. The dealership you are doing business with don't deserve to exist and should go under. But you have to understand, there are other dealerships that don't do business that way. Whatever the outcome, I would bad-mouth that dealership to my dying day. And speaking of that- what is the dealerships name and location?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is one of the Fuccillo dealerships. Currently they still have my car that they won't give me back. I am hopeful after a conversation with a supervisor on at Hyundai Consumer Affairs they will remedy the situation. I have also not spoken with the manager as he has been out. I am hoping I can get a resolution from him prior to the consumer affairs manager being able to reach them and further investigate it next week.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
If they inspected that after you complained about the hot wheel then they failed big time. This should have been obvious due to pad thickness difference as well as drag on the wheel.

The other brake repairs were not needed and they should not have done them unless you asked. At the most it would have been two pads a caliper and rotor. Sounds like they originally were just going to rebuild the caliper.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've gone through the whole thread. Has anyone figured out what the problem is? Where is the smell coming from?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try dropping the spare and setting it in the back of the vehicle to see if the smell goes away.
So I am almost positive that jmwhite has the right idea. So if slush/moisture is splashing up on the spare tire that is also close to the warm exhaust it will cause that moisture to evaporate taking with it the smell of the rubber from the spare tire. I have not fully tested this theory but have noticed that even in light rain and slightly wet roads the smell is present however when dry I don't smell anything at all. Next time it snows/rains I will drop the spare tire and test it out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So I am almost positive that jmwhite has the right idea. So if slush/moisture is splashing up on the spare tire that is also close to the warm exhaust it will cause that moisture to evaporate taking with it the smell of the rubber from the spare tire. I have not fully tested this theory but have noticed that even in light rain and slightly wet roads the smell is present however when dry I don't smell anything at all. Next time it snows/rains I will drop the spare tire and test it out.
Maybe, but if that was the case a lot of those driving in winter weather should be getting the smell at least occasionally and a lot more reports should be in the thread.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I noticed this too when I bought it new. I now have 60000 km on my 2013. I am sure it has something to do with the exhaust. I'm not worried about. Been like that since day one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Am at the dealership for routine service and they noticed there is an oil leak. The line leading to the turbo is leaking. Service advisor said it was above the exhaust, which could explain the burning smell I've been experiencing. Glad they're catching it. Going to start cross-town driving with my new job. And the heat of the desert southwest will be starting just any minute . . . So, good news.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 santafe 2.0t operated no problems for 4 years. Cold temps this past winter no problem. Yesterday, warmer slushy driving in town and burning rubber smell right rear tire. No heat obvious at -10c temps on the tire. 86,000km on vehicle. This is a new smell as we have had this car at least 4 winters. Next oil change I will have the brakes checked for sticking calipers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today I noticed a strong burning rubber or plastic smell coming out of the right rear wheel well. All other wheel wells did not have this odour.

We had a bout of freezing temp's here recently and some snow, I'm wondering if the brake on that wheel may have seized slightly through the all wheel drives tourque vectoring or through parking brake use.

I'm going to drive it to the dealership tomorrow without making an appointment in hopes they will look at it right away as making an appointment this time of year is probably going to take forever.

Any thoughts on something I might be missing or can do?
Check your spare wheel it's very close to the exhaust on my 2014 I think this might be the problem a fire proof foil fitted may be a good idea

41 - 60 of 62 Posts