Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Today I noticed a strong burning rubber or plastic smell coming out of the right rear wheel well. All other wheel wells did not have this odour.

We had a bout of freezing temp's here recently and some snow, I'm wondering if the brake on that wheel may have seized slightly through the all wheel drives tourque vectoring or through parking brake use.

I'm going to drive it to the dealership tomorrow without making an appointment in hopes they will look at it right away as making an appointment this time of year is probably going to take forever.

Any thoughts on something I might be missing or can do?
I would take it in to the dealership ASAP. I had this on my 11 Sonata SE for about a week and today my front right brakes were squealing bad so I had roadside assistance pick it up. Im pretty sure my piston in my caliper got stuck and wore my pads out that I just put on there a little over a month ago.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mark me down as someone else who has noticed this. It always happens when the roads are snow covered. I don't know if its the anti-lock braking system or the traction control system. Thought it was snow/ice buildup in the wheel wells rubbing on the tires but even after letting that all melt off in the indoor garage at my work I still noticed the smell driving home. As someone mentioned, it does go away very quickly once I stop moving.

I'm very curious to find out what this is. I'm driving a 2013 AWD 2.0T.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I can confirm I noticed it on my LWB a couple of times, but only since I installed the Bridgestone Blizzaks, and it only happens when wet outside. Mostly near rear tires area, and never in the cabin. That said, I had a similar problem with my 2005 Subaru Outback XT, and if I recall correctly, perhaps my 09 Toyota Highlander (don't quote me on this second one). Believe it or not, if my memory is not failing, the excuse the service rep gave me was that the chemicals in the salt used on our roads sometimes reacts with the particular composition of the metal used in the exhaust to create that smell. He confirmed that many Subaru owners complained of the same and what we thought was rubber was actually a hot metallic smell. I am no chemist, so I would not even know whether this is possible or not, but I got the distinct sense that the next words out of his mouth were going to be related to some sort of bridge he has for sale.

We are not alone though. Google it and you will find many makes and models with the similar problems, although, some are attributed to oil, or grease from cracked boots, getting on the exhaust. If you're also noticing abnormal tire wear, I've read it could be improper alignment or torque balancing. I remember I once had a plastic bag melt to my catalytic converter and smell for weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello everyone, I am driving a 2013 SF sport 2.0t limited and have been getting this smell when driving on snow/slush covered roads. I've noticed that the smell really comes on strong when I am driving and actually using the awd. ( playing in the snow ). I noticed that it does also come from the rear passenger side tire wheel well. I talked to my buddy and he said it could be the traction control which brakes certain tires helping to prevent the wheel spin. I will be using a temperature gun to see if the right side brakes are getting hotter than the driver side and post back with my results. If problem persists I'll probably end up taking it in to the dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello everyone, I am driving a 2013 SF sport 2.0t limited and have been getting this smell when driving on snow/slush covered roads. I've noticed that the smell really comes on strong when I am driving and actually using the awd. ( playing in the snow ). I noticed that it does also come from the rear passenger side tire wheel well. I talked to my buddy and he said it could be the traction control which brakes certain tires helping to prevent the wheel spin. I will be using a temperature gun to see if the right side brakes are getting hotter than the driver side and post back with my results. If problem persists I'll probably end up taking it in to the dealership.
So yesterday I locked the diff, and cruised around a couple snow filled alleys by my house and went home. When I pulled in the driveway I had the burning rubber smell coming from the rear passenger side wheel well. I used the temp gun and all of the brake and wheel temperatures seemed normal from both sides.. I will be pulling the wheel off tonight to have a look but if I don't find anything noticeable I will be taking the car into Hyundai.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So yesterday I locked the diff, and cruised around a couple snow filled alleys by my house and went home. When I pulled in the driveway I had the burning rubber smell coming from the rear passenger side wheel well. I used the temp gun and all of the brake and wheel temperatures seemed normal from both sides.. I will be pulling the wheel off tonight to have a look but if I don't find anything noticeable I will be taking the car into Hyundai.
Have any of you tried turning off the traction control to see if the smell goes away?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have any of you tried turning off the traction control to see if the smell goes away?
Yes, when I have been testing my SF Sport in the snow I usually hold the traction control button for 3 seconds which disables traction/stability control ( fun mode ) in which I had the burning rubber smell happen. Today on my way home from work with traction control on I had a very normal drive and as soon as I pulled into the driveway I went to that rear wheel well and could faintly smell it again. I pulled the wheel off to have a look and could not find anything out of the ordinary.. No leaking fluids, no sticky brakes, nothing stuck on the exhaust system and the tires are only 2 months old with no signs of uneven wear so far. The only other possible thought that went through my head was water/slush is maybe splashing up on the spare tire and the heat from the exhaust which is only 2-3 inches away could be causing that water to melt rapidly causing the smell. I am not to sure what else to think.
Thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
Add me to the list. I drove this morning after getting snow and ice so the roads were a mess and the car probably got very dirty underneath. I parked home and went to get my son on the backseat, passenger side, and noticed the smell right awal. Visual inspection didn't bring anything up right away, I recalled seeing this thread here and came to read it. I guess it's the same as all you guys, AWD SFS, roads with salt/snow/ice and first time I noticed it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
me too... noticed it quite a few times. Originally I noticed it after turning off the traction control (fully - after 5 second old of the button) and having some snow after our first decent snow fall... thought the tires must have really "warmed up" during the dounut session.
But now, i've noticed it here and there... and without me messing around, just driving from point A to B.
I'd love to hear what a dealership thinks this could be... I can't possibly think what it could be - nothing seems to be rubbing against the tires...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I always have this smell coming from any car I'm driving during winter months. Most of the times during slush time when the snow buildup in the wheel area is brown because of the salt/sand used on the road...

There is no problem at all and I think it's probably from the melting of this brown mix with the heat of the brake and exhaust...

E

·
0 Posts
We bought our 2013 Santa Fe sport (2.0T) back in october (barely 3 months ago) and we are also getting the smell. Seems to be coming from front end and fills the cabin while driving. Brought it to dealership and they didn't find anything. We are kinda pissed and worried at the same time :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've noticed this as well, usually after running around town. Rear passenger side. The dealership told me the brakes run very hot, thought maybe that's what I was smelling. 13 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have noticed this smell from the same location. I've had the 2014 AWD for just two weeks, been an issue from day one. Will bring it up to the dealer when I take it in for it's first check-up on 1/30.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Walking back to my car in the Costco lot this aft and passed a Toyota Rav4, fairly new, that was waiting for a spot to free up. As soon as I walked past the rear, guess what? Same smell as we describe burning rubber/plastic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2103 Santa Fe XL, and have noticed this smell about 4 or 5 times now. We have just over 3,000km on it. Thinking back, I suppose I started to notice the smell after driving in snowy conditions. Will have dealership look into it when I bring it in for 1st service… I am curious about what this could be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Add me to the list. I've smelled burning rubber in the cabin twice. 2013 SFS AWD.

Both times were slush/snowy conditions. The first time I thought I was smelling a car driving ahead of me. The second time I was like WTF? I hadn't seen this thread, so I haven't checked to see if it's coming from rear passenger.. I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Add me to the list. First time noticing it after about 7 miles on the highway doing a modest 60mph. No snow or rain, dry pavement. Parked in garage and noticed smell.

2014 2.0T FWD
2200 Miles

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm going to hazard a guess and say this is slushy, salty snow or water burning off the muffler. The smell goes away so fast I can't think of what else it might be. Right rear corner is exactly where the muffler is located. If it was in fact the rubber of the spare we would smell it while stop and idling. I smelled it again the other night and the roads were pretty clear and dry for the most part with the exception of a few wet spots from melting snow.

Never had any issues in the fall when it rained so I chaulk it up to mineral burnoff on the muffler.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts