Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed a strong burning rubber or plastic smell coming out of the right rear wheel well. All other wheel wells did not have this odour.

We had a bout of freezing temp's here recently and some snow, I'm wondering if the brake on that wheel may have seized slightly through the all wheel drives tourque vectoring or through parking brake use.

I'm going to drive it to the dealership tomorrow without making an appointment in hopes they will look at it right away as making an appointment this time of year is probably going to take forever.

Any thoughts on something I might be missing or can do?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I might be wrong, but if think that's where the e-brake gets applied to (right rear wheel). Maybe it got stuck on... Since no other wheel had the smell.
There should be no rubber smell, not a burning hot brake pad would smell close.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Very interesting, (its our second week with the SFS) last night I noticed a strange smell after a twenty minute drive to a friends house. I drove very slowly due to a motion sick wife, so I was surprised to smell what I thought was brakes. I thought it might have been part of the "new" burning off. :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Very interesting, (its our second week with the SFS) last night I noticed a strange smell after a twenty minute drive to a friends house. I drove very slowly due to a motion sick wife, so I was surprised to smell what I thought was brakes. I thought it might have been part of the "new" burning off. :(
We've had our SFS for 2 weeks now and also noticed a slight burning rubber smell the first few days driving it. I asked the dealership guy and he said something about the catalytic converter and it should go away soon :confused: I haven't noticed it as much the last few days though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back from service, turns out it was some plastic (road debris) kicked up and melted onto the exaughst. They scraped it off and that's the end of that.

Nice little scare though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 13500 km on mine and have noticed a smell at the right rear in the past few days. As I have been driving in the snow and slush, not sure if it just stuff slashed up. Todays is cold and dry so will check it again. My first thought was a locked up brake caliper but the smell wasn't quite right. Will post if I find anything or have to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If it's a brand new SFS - for the first couple hundred KM, there's going to be some burn off of stickers on the exhaust and stuff... there will be a burning smell right off the bat. After having it for a few months... then it would warrant some looking into.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am at about 8000km and noticed the smell as well, sometimes I could smell it in the cabin after parking the SF. Not sure when it started since the wife 99% of the time and since we have a little one.

Prior to noticing the smell I noticed my SF pulls to the right, ask the dealer to look into and they said no issue with suspension or steering spec, noticed it still and took it to the other dealer and he said tire pressure was low, but still noticed the pull. Now I am wondering if a seized calliper on the right rear could cause the pull to the right?

·
Banned
532 Posts
I am at about 8000km and noticed the smell as well, sometimes I could smell it in the cabin after parking the SF. Not sure when it started since the wife 99% of the time and since we have a little one.

Prior to noticing the smell I noticed my SF pulls to the right, ask the dealer to look into and they said no issue with suspension or steering spec, noticed it still and took it to the other dealer and he said tire pressure was low, but still noticed the pull. Now I am wondering if a seized calliper on the right rear could cause the pull to the right?
What's your build date?

On early builds HMA came out with new alignment & toe in/out metrics. I realize the dealer looked at it but just wonder if he's not sure of the new spec's or just took tire to tire alignments.

I'll try to find, or perhaps someone will beat me with the TSB.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Came here looking to see if rear passenger side burning rubber smell was common - appears it is.

I've got about 5000km on my '13 SFS 2.0T. Same smell.

How many of you experiencing this smell have AWD? And does this smell seem to occur after driving in snow/slush/ice?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Came here looking to see if rear passenger side burning rubber smell was common - appears it is.

I've got about 5000km on my '13 SFS 2.0T. Same smell.

How many of you experiencing this smell have AWD? And does this smell seem to occur after driving in snow/slush/ice?
I don`t have it (yet)...12,000 miles...FWD..

·
Registered
160 Posts
My build date is Jul 18 2013 and not the earlier production.

Mine is AWD and I smell it more during snow and slush conditions.

However I have smelled it when I was out on the highway when there is moisture on the road but not wet. I pulled over as the little one was crying (first time parent :) ) and as I walked around I smelled it and went to each tire and all was fine except the right rear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have noticed this a few times, we have been dealing with ice/sleet/snow over the past two weeks and I only have 560 miles on the SF. I figure it was just some breaking in smells at first, things burning off etc. I will have to keep an eye, or in this case, a nose on it!

·
Banned
532 Posts
My build date is Jul 18 2013 and not the earlier production.
Mine is AWD and I smell it more during snow and slush conditions.
However I have smelled it when I was out on the highway when there is moisture on the road but not wet. I pulled over as the little one was crying (first time parent :) ) and as I walked around I smelled it and went to each tire and all was fine except the right rear.
Being a 1st time parent ...... are you sure it was a rubber smell and not something else possibly? ..... :eek:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've smelled that too, since new 2 years old now. It's definitely not brake linings smell and my discs and parking brake are not dragging at all. It smells like burning rubber as posted before. I always assumed it would go away, just left over "shmush" from the manufacturing process. Guess not, I've looked it over at oil changes and tire rotation, all looks normal. Could be something to do with the cat converter, although I've always associated a sulfur smell with that. I don't drive in snow here in Ca, so most likely not a snow packed underside of the car connection. Since the smell crosses models, I'm leaning toward a normal cat converter function of burning away gas fumes before exhausting at the tail pipe, not an model specific issue. I'm not worried about it at this point. cheers.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Don't forget that the SFS DM uses a plastic slide guard under the front engine. Maybe it is off gassing where it is closest to the down pipe?

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is burning rubber or plastic, not gas fumes. There's no mistaking it.

Seeing as this appears to be contained to AWD models, I wonder if heat from the AWD differential or the different exhaust routing is burning the spare tire? I'll try to get a better look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmmmm ... Very interesting. I have about 900 miles on my AWD Limited Santa Fe and I noticed this "smell" the other night after I pulled it into my garage. I don't notice it all the time, but it had been raining that day ALL DAY, so maybe that's a factor.

I'm VERY unclear about what it could possibly be, but I'll also check my spare tire in the morning and post if I find anything ... I'd be interesting if anyone else finds anything of value. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
After a good drive the other day I parked and the smell was there. The temperature outside was reasonable so I took the opportunity to crawl underneath and take a good look at things.

I could not identify the source. Rear passenger tire appeared/felt normal all around. Same with the spare. The smell seems to go away quick.

I'll give it another look at my next opportunity. I really wanna know what it is!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts