Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not much but it's beginning to become a problem. I'm thinking that it could be the pcv valve. Has anyone changed one on these cars? Any other suggestions of what it could be? Thanks

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Blowby?

And pcv valves are cheap and easy to change. It's on the end of the hose between the valve cover and intake manifold.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's not much but it's beginning to become a problem. I'm thinking that it could be the pcv valve. Has anyone changed one on these cars? Any other suggestions of what it could be? Thanks
How much is "a little bit" and over how many miles?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
141,000 miles. Not a lot but like every week a quarter of a quart or a little more.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Check your car and if it blows smoke after sitting at lights, cold starts or idling for some time its valve stem seals. If you start fouling plugs with wet oil its rings. High mileage oil wont help.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
But what is the purpose of high mileage oil but to help stop oil burning? It did cut my oil consumption in half on my Accent.

Coked up rings and dirty valve stems can be cleaned with Auto-RX.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can test and replace the PCV valve if you have any worries; it's cheap and probably should be done anyway but that will not resolve your consumption issues. If you have a ton of blowby because your rings and seals are worn out, a PCV valve is not going to hold things back. Probably some thicker high mileage oil (synthetic if you're not using it anyway), check your coolant to see if you have any headgasket leaks, maybe do a tuneup and call it a day.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok will do thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Hyundai Accent with 170k miles was burning oil quite a bit, like well over over a quart every thousand miles. Then my engine died. Turns out the catalytic converter was clogged, and the back pressure was shutting down the engine. Replaced catalytic converter a month ago .... checked the oil after a thousand miles, and needed zero replacement .... pretty significant. Thanks. mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts