Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have discovered that the "burglar horn" I.E. that sheepish little meep that happens when you lock the car is NOT connected to the main horn and is easily accessible.

I've been reading online and I am contemplating installing one of these instead. If it works properly, it should end up sounding like a fancy pants BMW.

Anyone see any drawbacks to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho9r2sbfGfA

Here's an example of one installed on a motorcycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5Au9xYlbU

·
22,792 Posts
Only drawback I see is the extra expense and time/labor to do it. Unless you're in a neighborhood that houses unsavory characters, I think you could put those bucks to better use, elsewhere. Or save them back, add along the way, and get something you've really been craving.

And besides, if you're not around and the thing goes off, most folks have become annoyed at hearing them over the years and programmed themselves to ignore them. Some might look in the direction of the alarm but apathy, sadly, runs deep in this day and age!

On a humorous note, you should've bought the Beemer. Then you'd have the horn! If you're dead set on doing this, go pull off a BMW horn at the salvage yard for a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its more the fact that the stock horn is pitifully embarassing and hard to hear from a distance. As we all know, the alarm is *most* useful for finding the car, and if you can't hear it well...

Anyway, time and effort is minimal - $6 and about 5 minutes, tops.

Here's some videos! I just need some electrical tape and a zip tie and I'll be all set.

Stock:
2013 Hyundai Elantra Stock Burglar Alarm - YouTube

With $6 siren:
Replacing 2013 Elantra Buglar Alarm - YouTube

·
22,792 Posts
$6 and 5 minutes, some quality electrical tape, and a zip tie? Phooey...go for it! :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts