Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a manufacturers defect within the inside of their vehicle where the warranty applied?

Our 18' Elantra has a 1 to 1 1/2 inch rip on the passenger side seat on the side near the door. The passenger side seat is never used for anything except for a box of tissues. When me and hubby go out, we ALWAYS take the Santa Fe so in reality, the passenger side seat has NEVER been sat in (except for when he test drove it and the salesman was with him). We have only had the vehicle for about 6 months (if that). Hubby noticed it when he vacuumed the car today (first time cleaning the inside due to the fact that the weather up here in the northeast has been horrific).

I am hoping the dealer can help us out since this is, in fact, our 5th vehicle purchased through them. We are going to contact them on Monday to take the car in for the service manager to look at it but, until then, I am looking for you input or if anyone has dealt with such a thing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Take it back and let them deal with it..

Picture of offending part ??

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Let's hope this works....
Is this the bottom, or back rest ??

Either way, that looks to be nice cut in material,, I will venture they going to deny coverage, as fabric coming apart will not occur 90* to actual fabric lines,, that just me..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take it back and let them deal with it..

Picture of offending part ??
We are going to take it back and have the service manager look at it..having them deal with it is another story..just keeping fingers crossed they will do right by us. If they leave us hanging with a 6 month old car and not take care of it we will never go there again. Also many dealerships thrive on good ratings..won't happen with us if they do not take care of it.

Picture us posted.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Assuming that it was not there when you purchased/inspected the vehicle at delivery then something must have cut into the fabric. Looks like some sort of sharp object made the cut.

Good luck with the dealer!

If dealer will not repair find a good detail shop, they should be able to repair it without an issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming that it was not there when you purchased/inspected the vehicle at delivery then something must have cut into the fabric. Looks like some sort of sharp object made the cut.

Good luck with the dealer!

If dealer will not repair find a good detail shop, they should be able to repair it without an issue.
My hubby is livid!! He was in a bad car accident with his 2013 which was totaled and it took the wind right out of his sails. Took him 4-5 months to finally get this 18' to grow on him and now this happens.

I just scratch my head because the damage is on the backrest part of the seat. Would make more sense if it was on the seat part itself. Still, the passenger seat has yet to be used other than the salesman when they took it for the test ride. Just very frustrated and would be nice if we could get a break with everything else he was through. :crying2:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We are going to take it back and have the service manager look at it..having them deal with it is another story..just keeping fingers crossed they will do right by us. If they leave us hanging with a 6 month old car and not take care of it we will never go there again. Also many dealerships thrive on good ratings..won't happen with us if they do not take care of it.

Picture us posted.

To clarify on comments,, most dealer will have you sign off that car was looked at by at time of delivery and accepted,, from that point, the car is your baby..

6 month down road, somebody or something cause cut in seat.. you wish for dealer to claim it as a warranty repair,, but they need to look at the concern, and determine if it was a material - workmanship fault, or caused by outside source that is beyond Hyundai Motor Co control..

Dealer will deny if deemed cause by owner fault, as they have to submit to Hyundai Motor for payment of replacement part, and labor,, then Hyundai Motor sends notice to dealer that they want old part returned for inspection, and upon inspection of damage part,, decide to allow claim pay, ,or deny claim.

They (Warranty Tech Center) will either allow claim to be paid to dealer if found to be Hyundai part fault,, if NOT a part fault, Claim DENIED... then it just cost Mr local independent Hyundai franchise the cost of a seat cover and labor to tech,, and some places will keep tech labor money as a "back flag",, so dealer lost seat cover, and tech essentially replaced cover for free... dont be mad at dealer.. try to get dealer to send pics and see if Hyundai help, but to me, it look like a knife cut

Keep in touch please

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 13 Sonata Hybrid drivers seat back started wearing low on the door side at 30K miles. Hyundai replaced the seat skin with no questions asked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to dealer last week. Service manager told us it could be fixed and that they have their own upholstery guy that will make it look like it never happened. We are in the process of waiting for a phone call from the dealership to see which day it can be done. Dealership is giving my husband a free rental for the day so he does not have to miss work, BUT, we are still not sure if they are going to eat the cost or pass it on to us.

I will update here on this thread as the story unfolds.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is this the bottom, or back rest ??

Either way, that looks to be nice cut in material,, I will venture they going to deny coverage, as fabric coming apart will not occur 90* to actual fabric lines,, that just me..
If the dealer covered this they are awesome. This was obviously cut by something and in no way would be considered a manufactures defect. If I may speak bluntly (I mean no disrespect) if this large of a tear was not seen or brought up prior to driving off the lot with the car then you technically own that cut. I was expecting something like a seam opening up or something.

Hyundai as a manufacturer may not be top dog for quality cars like Toyota, but I have had nothing but great experiences with my dealer.

Reactions: joegr
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.