Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have attached a photo of the same bumper I own. It is currently on the car but the problem is the very edge of the back of it is broken and sticking out. I have circled in red the clip that looks like it is missing. The lady at the dealer wanted $1200 to replace the entire bumper which is out of the question and quite ridiculous. I have tried using epoxy and leaving it over night but as soon as I removed the weight against it from the boards I had placed to hold it down it popped right back out and the glue just peeled right off. The glue was a plastic weld epoxy. Any tips on better glues that would hold or can I fix it another way? It's not missing a clip but is the actual hook that was attached to actual bumper that has separated and fallen off. Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The damage doesn't show up that well in the photo.. But there are special adhesives, patching, and hot 'welding' materials made specifically for plastic car bumpers.

Go on Youtube and search for "Repair plastic bumper". There are a bunch of videos showing how to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The damage doesn't show up that well in the photo.. But there are special adhesives, patching, and welding materials made specifically for plastic car bumpers.

Go on Youtube and search for "Repair plastic bumper". There are a bunch of videos showing how to do it.
The picture is just of a whole bumper I found online. The actual clip shown in that picture is missing on mine.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You might have to "jerry rig" some other sort of attachment.

Have you also tried JB Weld??? I've seen them use it on almost anything...

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's true that many Hyundai dealers will tell you that you have to replace the whole bumper... some good body shops will fabricate a solution for you for around $200-$300. Ask me how I know...! This is the huge disadvantage of the front end being so low on these cars! You can pull up over a curb - but don't BACK OUT!

The picture is just of a whole bumper I found online. The actual clip shown in that picture is missing on mine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
where you have circled, there is usually a screw that holds that in. maybe the screw is loose or the plastic has broken which holds in it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the same issue, except mine it's the little clamp stripe that is actually broke, they told me 1100$ replacing the front bumper.. and my back bumper I got a crack in it, they are asking me 1350$ for replacing it.. I went to see a bodyshop man that have his own business.. 600$ for front and back all repainted and completely done... big BS what they say at the dealership. my father also tried the plastic weld for piping .. and it did not last.

300$ to get this repair + underneath 4 inches crack and the other side clip too..

and about 300-350$ for this

my bodyshop man is doing job for insurance, so it will never show up as it got broken.. I just need to get some money, fews days of and I'm in business ! :p

·
Registered
251 Posts
jb weld for plastics

·
Registered
386 Posts
Plastic welding is the strongest, but requires heat. Next best, a good epoxy (high peel strength). If you need to make a plastic part, you can use PlastiFix to make a new tab (mirrored from other side of bumper).

For me, the hardest part about plastic repair is the identification of which plastic it is.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How about if you really just wanna get the thing to hold get a self taping screw a small one mind you and drill it into some existing plastic and you're done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts