Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice, I was driving and had to swerve away from a dog and hit an elevated curb, did some damage below the fog light on the bumper. I want to order the part myself and get my friend to paint it rather than pay $480 through the dealership for a new bumper, I see bumper cover replacements online (ebay/part stores) for $150

Front Bumper Primed Plastic Fascia Cover Fits 2011 2012 Hyundai Sonata 4DR Sedan | eBay

are these the same as the bumper or are they of lower quality/not oem parts. Should I buy the bumper cover replacement or buy the oem bumper?

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
It's "OE Style" which means it's an aftermarket knockoff and not a genuine Hyundai part. Take your chances but you get what you pay for- don't be surprised if the fitment is off, holes are missing or in the wrong place etc.
Try calling some local junkyards to see if they have one, since you have a hookup to get it painted the color won't matter.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Aftermarket ones do not fit as well as OE ones, usually the body shop needs to tweak them a bit for proper fitment. Oh, and forget about shipping. even the OE bumpers can get tweaked during shipment. IMHO, let a body shop do it. $480 sounds fair for a new one plus P/L. I paid 400 to have mine removed, repaired, repainted, reinstalled.

Im great with repair, doing body work is a whole other ball game.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Be sure to figure in time (.5 hr min) to remove and reinstall EACH DRL LED lamp. They have to be removed, cleaned of tape, retaped and reinstalled. I know and it's a bitc# !!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
oh man that looks bad.. Honestly, you'll spend $150 on a bumper and roughly $200 - 300 for a bumper repaint and install. Thats around 350-450 already for a non OEM bumper. A lot of shops don't like aftermarket bumpers that are primed, because it may not be primed as well as a shop would like it and that could result in more work for the shop which also means that the quality of the paint on the bumper might not be up to your standards..

Just get a genuine one

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you still want to do aftermarket, RockAuto.com sells various levels of bumper covers as well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I stripped my bumper cover all the way down and paid $300 for Labor and paint to get it repaired and re-painted. Then I put it back together and on again. It sounds like you are getting a fair deal, but you can always shop around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My car looks nearly identical. Except the damage is on the driver's side.

Is there any aftermarket bumper covers anywhere? As in, styled differently? (Not just manufactured somewhere else.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Rock Auto replacement

After years of bandaiding the cover on (clips broke after hitting a parking curb), I decided to replace the cover. Got the CAPA certified version from Rockauto. The cover was $63 but the shipping was $~180. Came primed (but had a big drip/bubble I had to sand out and fill). I sprayed it with Matrix base and PPG Omni clear). Some pictures to show what you have to swap from the old to new cover.

I have the cover off and the car on the lift if someone wants pictures of anything.

I'll put up the final finished pic after a few hours. Hopefully will be a boring picture of a 2011 Silver that looks like it should.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts