Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bummed out :mad: Got hit last Tuesday by valet driver.

Company owner sketchy, doesn't want to give up his insurance info :confused:, requests that I use body shop where he does business. It may save him money, but will car be repaired to spec and my satisfaction. His company claims department suggests that I file claim with my insurance and they (my ins) will be reimbursed. Not likely as I would have to pay $500 deductible.

Two questions:
1. In pic #1, is the front bumper/frame member (center of pic) bent or OEM?

2. Would anyone here trust a shop that does regular business with the at fault
party?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
dunno about your insurance, but ours will recover the full deductible. and, again, when we got hit by uninsured/underinsured, the deductible was half(250). and the only way i would send our car to a shop used by the other party is if they did the same as other companies, loan car, work guaranteed for life, stuff like that. because of the age of your car, expect used or non factory parts to be installed. so here again, insurance does have hidden damage protection. if the part installed fails, it is covered. i dont think other party shop will do all of this. lotsa legal questions here.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
In most instance, I want to say it is illegal for insurance company to "steer" you to one of their body shops,, it's your car, have work done by shop of your choice..

Reactions: CADMAN58

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Were the police called. I think legally they have to give you their insurance info. Especially if it's a buisness. Contact the BBB, I would make this guys life,very uncomfortable, until you get the information you need.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
In most instance, I want to say it is illegal for insurance company to "steer" you to one of their body shops,, it's your car, have work done by shop of your choice..
It's not the insurance company, it's the buisness owner. He won't even give him, his insurance info.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
It's not the insurance company, it's the buisness owner. He won't even give him, his insurance info.
probably because he is self insured. iow, any damage, he pays out of pocket. so he will cut corners as much as possible. probably also takes it out of the valet's pay. or body

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
In hinds sight, should have gotten a police report on it and reported to your ins co. the rules have already been broken it seems but I would report it to ins co and see what develops. To avoid the ded have his body shop give estimate and see what the shop is like etc. At this point nothing to lose by investigating the place.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If the state (in this case, Georgia) requires minimum liability insurance both parties are legally required to provide proof of insurance even if self insured.

And no, the at fault party does not get to choose the body shop. If the valet company continues to balk and sidestep, notify your insurance and let them deal with it. People forget, we don't just have insurance to pay for repairs when we are at fault, we pay them to protect us when at-fault parties will not take responsibility.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The $500 deductible should only apply if you were at fault, but check with your insurance to be sure.

He has to give you his insurance info, pretty sure that would be the standard law in any state. If you can't get it you could contact your insurance company to see what you should do but you might go as far as reporting the accident to the police and letting them know that the other party has refused to give you their insurance information, maybe get their help in obtaining the information (with that much damage there should have been police at the scene for an accident report).

But if no deductible applies, let your insurance handle it.

Using the body shop he does business at --- if it's an actual reputable shop, not just some joe blow's garage, I wouldn't be TOO concerned. Yeah he gives them a lot of business so he'll get a cheaper repair bill, I doubt they would cut any corners doing the repair as a favor to him.. again, if it's a reputable shop. If the job goes through the insurance company they can't use used parts, that would probably be illegal, even using used/non factory parts at a registered body shop might be against some state law or something too, you could ask about what parts they use. And if it does go through insurance then you can use any shop, anyways.

As to your question, I believe that cross bar is bent on the end.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
no deductible only applies if the at fault party(or their ins) pays. if your insurance handles it, the deductible applies. since it appears the at fault is self insured, your company might handle it as uninsured motorist, and the deductible should only be 250. with the position the other person has taken, i would just call your ins, and tell them to handle it. that is what you pay for. also, if there is hidden damage, or additional cost during the job, it will be a helluva lot easier to get payment. most ins companies deal with shops that will warranty the work done for as long as you own the car.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Pick whatever body shop you want

Most body shops are competent enough to contact at-fault party for insurance info. Accident report should have company info.

Tired of shady businesses and civilians that avoid paying up or providing info

Lawyer up if owner doesn't provide insurance info to the body shop

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a friend who owns a car wash and he has a deal with a local body shop to fix any damage that is caused to his customers cars. He gives the owner free details for a priority and discounted rates. This makes sure that his customers get their damage fixed as quick as possible and he wants to make sure that the work is done right. I wouldn't assume that this is some scam, more likely he has a deal with them to make sure his customers also get fixed quickly. Then again, who knows. Last time I checked Hyundai didn't have a body shop so you are just taking it to a third party shop anyway. At least, that is how it works here.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I have a friend who owns a car wash and he has a deal with a local body shop to fix any damage that is caused to his customers cars. He gives the owner free details for a priority and discounted rates. This makes sure that his customers get their damage fixed as quick as possible and he wants to make sure that the work is done right. I wouldn't assume that this is some scam, more likely he has a deal with them to make sure his customers also get fixed quickly. Then again, who knows. Last time I checked Hyundai didn't have a body shop so you are just taking it to a third party shop anyway. At least, that is how it works here.
the difference here is that your friend wants the customer to come back. in this case, the valet owner dont give a dang.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Were the police called. I think legally they have to give you their insurance info. Especially if it's a buisness. Contact the BBB, I would make this guys life,very uncomfortable, until you get the information you need.
Police called, all I got was a case #, have to wait (7-10 days) to get report (slow a__ APD :angry:). Checked BBB site and amazingly there are 3 outstanding claims filed, two in the past 3 weeks. This guy looks more and more shady.

Getting estimate from Hyundai dealer associated body shop. I want a thorough investigation of damages since I also noticed the hood shifted to the right, no bends or creases but I'll let the shop open it to check for hidden damage.

Holding off on getting my insurance involved until I give him the estimate and checking if he'll pay for a comparable rental.

Thanks folks for all the responses and info, already considered most of the options, but I want to ensure if he foots the entire bill.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Something to keep in my mind. I think in the manuals it call outs repairs must be done by authorized body shop to maintain coverage.

"Covers 7 years/unlimited miles starting with 2005 model year (previously 5 years/100,000 miles for 2004 and prior model years).

Covers perforation (rust hole through the body panel from inside to outside) corrosion of original Hyundai body sheet metal due to defects in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Excludes surface corrosion."

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In hinds sight, should have gotten a police report on it and reported to your ins co. the rules have already been broken it seems but I would report it to ins co and see what develops. To avoid the ded have his body shop give estimate and see what the shop is like etc. At this point nothing to lose by investigating the place.
Planned on doing this to compare his shop quote to authorized Hyundai body shop. Also if he will pay up front costs for comparable rental, I shouldn't have any cost as his driver was at fault.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts