Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting here at the dealer waiting for oil change, tire rotation, and steering recall. Now waiting 2 hours. I didn't mention the recall when I arrived, and they didn't check for it, so it had to go back in again after they did the oil change and tire rotation.

I was getting bored so I went into the showroom and poked around in another 2011 Sonata. Of main interest was to see if there were any noticeable build quality differences. My Sonata has numerous creaks and rattles. Many are in the area of the center console and area around the power ports and the ipod jack. If I lightly push on mine, they creak loudly. Also have a couple of interior pillar covers that are not flush fitting with the headliner (noticeable gap).

The Sonata on the showroom has no such noises if I push lightly on the same pieces, and appears to have much tighter build tolerances than mine. My car was built in April...the one on the showroom was built in August. Interesting there would be such noticeable build differences. Wonder if it is a parts issue, or if it is an assembly issue?

I wanted to see what the horn sounded like, but figured the people in the showroom would have not liked that :whistling:

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (ryster @ Oct 19 2010, 11:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364532
Sitting here at the dealer waiting for oil change, tire rotation, and steering recall. Now waiting 2 hours. I didn't mention the recall when I arrived, and they didn't check for it, so it had to go back in again after they did the oil change and tire rotation.

I was getting bored so I went into the showroom and poked around in another 2011 Sonata. Of main interest was to see if there were any noticeable build quality differences. My Sonata has numerous creaks and rattles. Many are in the area of the center console and area around the power ports and the ipod jack. If I lightly push on mine, they creak loudly. Also have a couple of interior pillar covers that are not flush fitting with the headliner (noticeable gap).

The Sonata on the showroom has no such noises if I push lightly on the same pieces, and appears to have much tighter build tolerances than mine. My car was built in April...the one on the showroom was built in August. Interesting there would be such noticeable build differences. Wonder if it is a parts issue, or if it is an assembly issue?

I wanted to see what the horn sounded like, but figured the people in the showroom would have not liked that :whistling:
Its very possible things improved between April and August, and its also possible that on the same assembly line there could be minute variances that could cause some cars to have more rattles than others.

However, its most likely that since your car is a little older and has been driven on the road and subjected to road vibrations and use, that things have loosened up over time.

Its really not fair to compare build quality of a car on the showroom floor with 20 miles on it to a car thats been on the road already for several thousand.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (OMEGA_WEAPON @ Oct 19 2010, 01:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364541
Just because you didn't mention the recall they assumed there wasn't one? I would make that the last time that dealer gets my business.
They apologized profusely for the oversight and immediately took care of checking the bolts and reprogramming the steering module. True, they should have run my VIN through the Hyundai service system as part of their service procedures. Ultimately, I have no real complaint. They took care of the problem right away once it was brought to their attention.

I was kind of hoping for some cookies or something...like others have received when getting the recall done. Guess since I was there for regular maintenance anyway I didn't qualify for free cookies :grin:

The funny thing is, they left me a voice mail last week (after I had originally scheduled my appointment for today) informing me of the recall and asking that I schedule an appointment to get the recall completed. It seems as though there is a disconnect in their system somewhere.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 19 2010, 01:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364552
Its very possible things improved between April and August, and its also possible that on the same assembly line there could be minute variances that could cause some cars to have more rattles than others.

However, its most likely that since your car is a little older and has been driven on the road and subjected to road vibrations and use, that things have loosened up over time.

Its really not fair to compare build quality of a car on the showroom floor with 20 miles on it to a car thats been on the road already for several thousand.
It seems perfectly fair to me. Dealers will frequently compare a customer's car to others on the lot to determine if the customer's concern is unique or "normal". My creaks and rattles popped up around the 1,200 mile mark. Now has 6,300 miles on it. A new car should not loosen up that quickly. I can understand a rattle or two after 30,000 miles or so but not several after only 5 months of ownership.

With other owners reporting 12,000+ miles with no audible rattles, it indicates that there is a variance with my particular example...which is why I was poking around in the one on the showroom.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I personally don't have any rattles/squeaks or other issues (wind noise) yet on mine. I have 3K miles on it. Some cars have them..and others don't. My last two cars, one that went 165K miles was quiet as a new one and the other, with 126K on it had one slight squeak in the rear captains chair, which i determined to be from removal several times. A co-worker of mine has the exact same model and year and trim line of vehichle...of which his only had 68K on it and it rattled and squeaked everywhere! sometimes, i think it is just how it was assembled and how the person was feeling that day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is why I requested that my sonata be built by the "A" team preferably between the hours of 8-11 am. Your car was probably built by the interns after lunch. :harhar:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine was built on October 6th and has zero rattles. I am truly amazed at how quiet it is. I go over two sets of train tracks on the way to work and not rattle or squeak anywhere. Of course it only has 1300 miles on it, so things may "Loosen" up.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
i have a rattle from my drivers side door, a buzz from both seat belt hight adjusters on certain pavement, creaking from the console and a styrofoam rubbing sound where the drivers a pillar meets the dash.
Car was super quiet for a while , now i have tonnes of road noise and these rattles etc.
I have 20,000 kms

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (hyunnychub @ Oct 20 2010, 11:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364831
i have a rattle from my drivers side door, a buzz from both seat belt hight adjusters on certain pavement, creaking from the console and a styrofoam rubbing sound where the drivers a pillar meets the dash.
Car was super quiet for a while , now i have tonnes of road noise and these rattles etc.
I have 20,000 kms
build date?

·
Registered
650 Posts
2011 SE with 6000k. I got a few noises but nothing serious the glovebox got fixed. Now right above the gauges there's that piece that hovers around it. That makes a certain noise that drives me up the wall. Went to the dealer monday for an oil change and tire rotation and i told them about it. At this point they think i'm playing around. I told them I'm not leaving here until that noise is gone.

One of the service workers took it for a drive claimed he didn't hear anything. Then he got his manager and he requested i'd go with him for a drive, (him driving because its right infront of him). He was really nice and he heard it after going on a bumpy road and uneven pavement. He said he has no problem taking apart the dash and getting rid of whatever the noise was.

But he did say since the car is still new, things are starting to break in and that includes everything in the car. I've thought about this and decided to give it a few more thousand miles. If problem doesn't go away he's gonna have to take apart the dash because i can't stand that noise.

Usually if I put my volume around 6+ I can't here it. I like my music blasting anyway but sometimes I just want piece and quiet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts