Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Hyundai Elantra (2000 GLS model). There are couple of issues -
1. Recently I figured out that power steering fluid was leaking and that PS fluid tank was empty. But then I noticed that there is a leak in power steering high pressure hose. Mechanic told me expense of 350 bucks to do it. Is there any way I can get it this hose for cheap (even used will do)?

2. Secondly, I drove my car 100 miles in a stretch. (Never did that before in a stretch). And when I returned home, coolant inside radiator tank was boiling and splashing out from the small hose (located on the radiator tank - overflow hose). Temperature gauge was in the middle position and was not showing any overheating, etc. In a parking position, when I start engine, fan is running fine but secondary fan is just running when is tapped. Is it normal? Then I took my car to the couple of mechanics. One says that I need to replace thermostat, AC fan and radiator hoses. Second mechanic told me that radiator hoses and fan is fine but I may need to replace head gasket as that coolant is boiling. He ain't sure though about the issue. Changing the head gasket is **** costly. And I can not afford that much money as I am a student and these mechanics do not even look confident about what they are saying! I kindly request for some advises.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (merryfrankster @ Jul 10 2010, 07:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340634
You can order a quality P/S pressure hose from a reputable seller like rockauto.com for $80 plus shipping. Installation should be about 1 hour labor. If you are handy and have some tools and a jack and jackstands, you can probably do it yourself.

The coolant issue. It sounds like more than just a cracked or leaking overflow hose. However, before anyone starts blindly replacing parts, they should take the time to do some careful diagnostics. Here's a test you can do with just basic tools. Starting cold, open and remove the radiator cap. Idle the car for twenty minutes or so until it comes up to temperature. At operating temperature (needle in the middle) the thermostat should open, and you will see the flow through the top of the radiator. If it does not open, or if bubbles start to appear, you'll need to go to the next stage. Let the car cool down, then remove the thermostat housing and remove the thermostat itself. Put the housing back together minus thermostat. Replenish any spilled coolant. Repeat the same idle test. If everything appears normal with the thermostat removed, you'll know that replacing the thermostat is all you need to do. Order one from rockauto.com, and put it in.

What if you still get bubbles with the thermostat removed? Then you'll need to perform some diagnostic tests that require special equipment. A radiator pressure tester will tell you if your coolant system holds pressure. And finally, a compression tester will tell you whether your cylinders are holding pressure. Loss of pressure on one or both of these tests can point to a broken head gasket, or cracked head, or other problems that would cause bubbles to appear in the radiator.

Once you do all these tests, you will have a much better idea of what exactly is going on with your car.

Good luck.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your reply. I did the basic testing told by you and I did not see any problem with radiator. But when I switch the AC on, then the AC fan does not start immediately. But if I just tap that fan the it starts running. Is it normal? Does it have to work always? I took my car to Firestone today for the advanced testing you told me. They told me that my head gasket is fine and they think I need to replace the AC fan as the way it behaves is not normal. Any comments on this? The problem is, though it was firestone, the guy was not at all confident. I was telling him more things (based on your comments) that what he should do. That worries me a lot. I do not want t overheat my car. I am really worried even to drive on interstate these days. Also that guy said that even if I just do not use my AC then it should be fine.
Any comments? Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts