Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate AWD purchased new last August. Dealt with acceleration issues (now fixed after software update) and a lane departure warning issue (some sort of control unit replaced & issue resolved). I noticed my BSD system ONLY illuminates the mirror symbols, so I went to turn it on in the steering wheel menu under sound. The option for BSD is there but it won’t let me check the box. Has any one else experienced this? Is there an easy fix, or do I need to make a service appointment for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
BSD will only make sound if you operate turn signal while car in active blind spot (yellow symbol on mirror illuminated).. I dont trust system anyway, mirrors and turn head and use eyeballs to check the zone is what I was taught in Driver Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BSD will only make sound if you operate turn signal while car in active blind spot (yellow symbol on mirror illuminated).. I dont trust system anyway, mirrors and turn head and use eyeballs to check the zone is what I was taught in Driver Ed
Yes it won’t beep even when a car is in my blind spot and I put my signal on at a highway speed. The box won’t check in the menu. I always check as well; muscle memory dies hard... however, I paid a lot for this car to have all the bells and whistles and one whilstle isn’t working (from what I can tell) ?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
As long as you have the factory audio system you should be able to activate the sound. If you altered the audio system you "may" have affected it's ability to notify you audibly. Assuming that the system is switched on since you indicate that the mirrors are lighting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as you have the factory audio system you should be able to activate the sound. If you altered the audio system you "may" have affected it's ability to notify you audibly. Assuming that the system is switched on since you indicate that the mirrors are lighting.
Yep factory stock everything except my hitch is from U-Haul... I tested it again last night on the interstate. Waited til the amber light came on then flipped my signal - no beeping. Which I guess makes sense since the box won’t check. So this is something no one has ever heard of before??

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That's a new one for me.....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Have dealer verify no system codes, and do a calibration system,, then drive again..

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
SBR.....The system "appears" to be working as it visually displays a warning. I'm having a hard time sorting out why the sound selection in the menu would be grayed out / not available. Would a stored code disable a portion of the system and if so....Why no warning messages or indicators to the driver that the system is disabled? Just trying to pick your brain and understand more about how the system works and what happens when the internal diagnostics detect a fault.

Your insight is appreciated :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have dealer verify no system codes, and do a calibration system,, then drive again..
Okay thank you - this is my first Hyundai and it seems like I’ve experienced a lot of little issues like this! I wasn’t sure if this was a known one or not. I’ll make another appointment... will post an update when I get it looked at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my 2014 Santa Fe Sport in for BSD service numerous times. The usual fix is a recalibration. The dealer asked if the car had ever been in an accident because it could effect the components behind the rear bumper. It had but since it was the original owner involved in the accident, I was told the warranty on any further BSD repair work might be void. Warranty coverage is generally transferable to a new owner but apparently not in an instance like this.

Didn’t seem right to me so I checked the service records of the first owner which their dealership had sent me. (the same records my dealer said they couldn't provide when I purchased the vehicle.) I forwarded the invoice to my service manager which showed that the original owner had problems with the BSD from the get-go and long before the accident took place. One issue resolved.

After a recent recalibration, the BSD failed again. This time I questioned whether there might be a problem with a system component considering the ongoing issues. I presume a more thorough check was done this time and a module was found to be faulty. The dealer covered the $1000+ repair job and 5k later no problems. Bottom line, do your homework and don't let the dealer always dictate your vehicle’s maintenance. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
A prior collision repair does NOT void the warranty in any way as long as it was done correctly. Now if you come to a Dealer after just having a rear end collision repaired and a module located in the damaged area is malfunctioning then yes, we might send you back to your body shop or work with your insurance carrier to cover the repair that way. Beyond that.....It sounds like your Dealer was out of line.

Glad it was repaired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had my 2014 Santa Fe Sport in for BSD service numerous times. The usual fix is a recalibration. The dealer asked if the car had ever been in an accident because it could effect the components behind the rear bumper. It had but since it was the original owner involved in the accident, I was told the warranty on any further BSD repair work might be void. Warranty coverage is generally transferable to a new owner but apparently not in an instance like this.

Didn’t seem right to me so I checked the service records of the first owner which their dealership had sent me. (the same records my dealer said they couldn't provide when I purchased the vehicle.) I forwarded the invoice to my service manager which showed that the original owner had problems with the BSD from the get-go and long before the accident took place. One issue resolved.

After a recent recalibration, the BSD failed again. This time I questioned whether there might be a problem with a system component considering the ongoing issues. I presume a more thorough check was done this time and a module was found to be faulty. The dealer covered the $1000+ repair job and 5k later no problems. Bottom line, do your homework and don't let the dealer always dictate your vehicle’s maintenance. Good luck.
Thank you for the insight. My appointment isn’t until Monday. I did have a minor fender bender in December - just a dent/paint transfer while it was parked at a grocery store; hit and run! Front bumper was replaced or at least removed. Maybe this is the root cause? Not sure. Hoping they can fix it. I’ve had so many little things like this go wrong I’m feeling discouraged about my choice of vehicle... the whole reason I got a Hyundai is because I wanted to stop the constant visits to the shop! Kind of missing my VW at this point. ?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I do not see how a front end collision would affect blind side / cross traffic alerting. The sensors for that are typically located in the rear quarter panels, so unless there was damage there as well.....Front damage should not be an issue.....

Now if the vehicle has any type of front monitoring.....lane keeping, autonomous braking etc,.... Then maybe related if the systems are tied together somewhere.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Little update:

Car is in the dealers shop. They are “stumped.” Having to keep it a 2nd day. ? I’ll have to check my records but I think this is the 8th or 9th time I’ve had it in the shop. It’ll be one year old August 1st..... is this typical for Hyundai’s to have so many problems? Perhaps with the higher end models - all the fancy electronic components keep breaking.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The more toys.......Typically the more issues. This is not just a Hyundai thing, and to me Hyundai seems to have less of these types of issues that others I have worked with.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Interesting given the symptoms. Not what I would have suspected although....If the module as having communication issues....Might explain it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts