Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.0 T AWD Ultimate. Twice now the BSD (Blind Spot Detection) system has stopped working and a warning notice has come up on the dash screen upon starting the engine. In both cases (6 months apart) the warning has occurred after driving through very minor mud puddles... and at minimal speed. It appears that muddy water is thrown up under the rear bumper cover where the sensors are located (and shorting them out?). First fix cost $58 to repair at dealer. Have inquired at dealer and they are checking into possibility of other occurrences before repairing again.

Surely this top of the line all-wheel drive vehicle should be able to handle a 6" deep mud puddle... and at slow speed to boot!

Anybody else experiencing a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I do not drive on dirt roadways as a general rule. Still have had the system go dark a couple of times in the winter when road dirt / salt builds up on the body panels and prevents the system from working. That's normal. It would be helpful to know specifically what was done to "repair" it as $58 would not even cover the diagnostic charges at most service facilities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally, I think Hyundai is really struggling with the electronic safety features. I have a 2016 Tucson, top of the line, with BSD, Lane Departure, and Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection. It's the last that we've had problems with. I simply does not engage, under any circumstance, and all Hyundai will say is "functioning as intended" with a whole bunch of disclaimers. We paid a LOT of money for these safety features and they aren't working. I've filed complaints with BBB and NHTSA (online form, super easy). If you aren't getting any resolution from the dealer, I'd recommend that you do the same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2016 is giving the error now, has been there for the last few days. I have an appointment scheduled next week to have tires changed, and 2 recalls done (wire in seat, and turbo oil line), and will have it looked into then also.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I will say again folks....Items...Especially like pedestrian detection and automatic braking....Are systems designed to assist you. They are NOT fail safe and probably never will be. They will never operate without missing something or alerting for something that is not there under all driving conditions and circumstances. Most manufacturers have that in the fine print. Yes, I know how they market these systems and I hate it. They make them look foolproof.

Items like blind spot / cross traffic detection operate better because they do not have to be 100% specific and perfect as compared to pedestrian detection or automatic braking. Cross traffic detection WILL false alarm depending on what obstacles are along side or behind you and how you have the steering wheel turned. Mine false alarms backing into my driveway 50% of the time. NORMAL!

The public is expecting far more from these systems than they are capable of delivering and again.....I blame the marketing strategy as well as all of the media hype about self driving cars (Another thing that will never happen under the current designs) for this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
was at dealership today, and had them look into the BSD error. Invoice says the re-calibrated the slave sensor(under warranty) and it works fine now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm on my third time of this warning appearing. Seems to be after rain or the car has been a bit dirty (from driving in said rain). Twice before it has been "recalibrated" but seems the problem comes back.... I've booked it in again (which is not easy for me to do because of my work hours) and explained that it may be a physical problem with the sensor instead of just "calibrating"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine still does it occasionally when it's raining out and I'm driving on the highway. It works fine again after shutting car off and then back on. Service advisor said there wasn't really much they could do, as it does work, just "acts" up sometimes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine still does it occasionally when it's raining out and I'm driving on the highway. It works fine again after shutting car off and then back on. Service advisor said there wasn't really much they could do, as it does work, just "acts" up sometimes.
Unfortunately mine doesn't go away. It reminds me every time I turn the car on (2017 i30 SR turbo petrol). If all ghry do is calibrate it again, I think I'll be turning it off and leaving it off. Hopefully that might stop it throwing up the error? ?‍♀

·
Registered
182 Posts
I do not drive on dirt roadways as a general rule. Still have had the system go dark a couple of times in the winter when road dirt / salt builds up on the body panels and prevents the system from working. That's normal. It would be helpful to know specifically what was done to "repair" it as $58 would not even cover the diagnostic charges at most service facilities.
My wife has a 2014 and I have a 2015 both with BSD.....Her's has NEVER gone out, even with bikes on the back, snow on the bumper and heavy rain. Mine has gone out with the bikes on the back after 20 minutes, some road salt and heavy rain have all caused it to disable. Last week it (2015) went out with water running off the tailgate, I cleaned it off and it was fine after that.. Either it's a software glitch or a tuning glitch. But these should not go silent so easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts