Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, while I love the Santa Fe, I have to say I'm terribly disappointed so far with the fuel economy.

I drove as gently as possible and in town I average 15L/100km or 15.6mpg. when my wife drives, it's 17 or 18L/100km (13mpg) and she isn't at all beating on it.

My question - with 4,000km on the car, is there some kind of break in process that consumes more fuel. Or is something wrong with the car?

Past and alternate vehicles are always under stated EPA estimates... So am confident in it not being our driving.

Thanks folks, any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
809 Posts
2020 2.0t gets easy 27+(mpg)
When one views the 2020 Santa Fe AWD with the 2.0T engine, EPA 20/26 22 avg.
Now, I must say, the 2.0T is terrible on mileage, and if one has a AWD Santa FE that sees 27+ mpg, maybe that SUV should be put in the Hyundai museum.

Not certain as to the engine in the OP 2019, but fuel mileage is a given and what you see is what you're going to get, and as stated above, cold weather and local driving, mileage is about the norm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think my shock is when I'm in my sister in-law's Chevrolet Traverse with the 3.6, 300hp. That thing is quite a bit bigger, heavier and her average is 11L/100km or 21mpg all city driving. Is it just the thing is underpowered given it's weight and has to work way harder? Or?

Past vehicle was an Impala with the 3.6, similar weight and got around 9L/100km or 26mpg city. Help me understand :)

Full transparency - I'm gentle getting up to speed, because that's what I'm used to in the larger 6cyl engines of my past vehicles. Do these bigger guys like to snap to speeds faster and then be gentle? Or?

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Essential
135 Posts
I'm in Canada, Ottawa to be exact, cold winters, 8k km on the car and have been getting about 11.5 or so city and 8 or so highway. I have the 2.4L non turbo Essential. I don't drive it very hard at all and rarely have the 4wd lock on unless it's really slippery. This has been pretty consistent from the start. I will say that the distance estimator is out of whack in the winter. It usually says around 525 or so but I've done a couple of trips of that distance and I arrive with a quarter tank. My old santa fe did this as well and in the summer when I fill up it will say 650 or so.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Let's talk about the vehicles mentioned:
2018 Traverse 3.6 17/25 20 avg. As the EPA mileage is fairly consistent that's lower than the Santa Fe, albeit only 1 mpg, and the 2015 Impala 3.6 18/28 21 avg. You can see that the two aforementioned vehicles are worse than the SF in city driving, so ????
It's not going to change, but wait for some warm weather and recheck the mileage.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
That is bad mileage. I get 18 locally in my 4300lb hemi Charger and 30 on the highway.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
134 Posts
My fuel economy has been pretty bad too. I guess from using remote start and winter. Right now I'm getting around 16 MPG combined with about a 60/40 split in city/highway driving. In "milder" weather and not using remote start as well as letting the ISG stay on, I got 20 mpg combined.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess my big concern is I've had this car during warm and cold - and consistently it's 40+% worse than EPA rating no matter how delicate I dance on the pedals. My past life (due to aggressive family brainwashing) was in Chevrolet - and they seem to be easy to get better than EPA ratings.

So the question - how in ****'s bathroom did they come up with that 20mpg rating?! Even going downhill from one end to the other of the city I'm in for ~15km best I can get is 15mpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I have the same year and trim as you with about 12K on it. Here is my experience, just to help you compare.

During the summer, I was averaging around 11.5 or 12 l/100km with mostly (80%) city driving (highway was below 10 litres.) I've noticed a significant increase in fuel consumption in the winter - now averaging closer to 13.5 or 14 litres. I use remote start a fair bit in the mornings, so that hurts, as does the shift in gas formulation here on the east coast. I used to have a Murano and consistently saw at least a 7% or 8% decline in fuel economy due just to the gas formulation/winter road conditions.

I've also noticed that the auto start/stop is continually disabled in the winter - I haven't had the autostop kick in once since about November. That's probably due to the heater/ac, heated seats, steering wheel, and I also have a dash cam connected to the OBD port now. So no autostop/start is hurting fuel economy too.

Driving in sport mode could hurt fuel economy a bit too - I use smart mode.

The only other factor I can think of is if you are doing a lot of very short haul commutes. I gather the vehicles use a richer fuel mixture when cold, so if you are constantly making 2km or 3km commutes, you won't see good mileage.

But if you aren't doing all short haul trips, 15 litres/100 seems pretty high to me.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
134 Posts
Hi, I have the same year and trim as you with about 12K on it. Here is my experience, just to help you compare.

During the summer, I was averaging around 11.5 or 12 l/100km with mostly (80%) city driving (highway was below 10 litres.) I've noticed a significant increase in fuel consumption in the winter - now averaging closer to 13.5 or 14 litres. I use remote start a fair bit in the mornings, so that hurts, as does the shift in gas formulation here on the east coast. I used to have a Murano and consistently saw at least a 7% or 8% decline in fuel economy due just to the gas formulation/winter road conditions.

I've also noticed that the auto start/stop is continually disabled in the winter - I haven't had the autostop kick in once since about November. That's probably due to the heater/ac, heated seats, steering wheel, and I also have a dash cam connected to the OBD port now. So no autostop/start is hurting fuel economy too.

Driving in sport mode could hurt fuel economy a bit too - I use smart mode.

The only other factor I can think of is if you are doing a lot of very short haul commutes. I gather the vehicles use a richer fuel mixture when cold, so if you are constantly making 2km or 3km commutes, you won't see good mileage.

But if you aren't doing all short haul trips, 15 litres/100 seems pretty high to me.
Interesting that you mention your dash cam. I also have a dash cam hardwired and have noted that this also has an impact when parking mode is run for an extended period. I also drive in smart mode, and noticed that the smart label is usually green when you are driving "efficiently". I noticed that when I am driving conservatively it is usually green and turns grey when I step on the gas a bit more aggressively. When I let my vehicle sit for a couple of days with parking mode enabled on my dash cam, it must have drained the battery to the point where the alternator had to kick in for quite a while when driving around town to charge the battery back up. Even when driving conservatively, the smart mode label on the speedo was grey.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4l FWD
47 Posts
I agree with many of the comments in the thread.

Some typical efficiency/miles per gallon killers are:

AWD - This adds more weight to the vehicle, more components, more wasted energy in drive transfer

2.0 T is not going to get as good of gas mileage as the 2.4 generally speaking. The 2.0T can give you more power for towing etc and in doing this will generally trade off miles per gallon Nothing in the world wrong with that just more power = less miles per gallon.

Cold weather always negatively affects efficiency as well as driving style, speed, time car idles,weight in the car and traffic conditions.

We took a trip to our relatives last weekend in our 2020 FWD Santa Fe SEL 2.4l . The trip is 80 miles one way and is approximately 70 miles expressway driving at 70 miles per hour and 10 miles on typical city roads at 25 mph. We are cautious drivers obeying the speed limits and driving conservatively with no fast starts or hard stops. We drive in Comfort Mode using the Auto Stop and Idle off function. The outside temperatures were 50 degrees. We averaged 31 mpg going and 29 mpg coming home. This is typical for us in the Santa Fe.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
488 Posts
7500km, 25km to work, 50/50 hwy/stop&go traffic, not aggressive driver, number from carputer, no warm up, Smart mode

Back in the summer, new SF, I got consistently 8.5l/100km (27.7mpg). Things to consider, less cars because of vacation period; I was on the adjusto program for 4 mths (log driving pattern to get insurance discount) so I was like a truck driver – anticipate traffic and avoid braking. BTW, I got 24% discount out of the maximum 25%, failed :cry:.

As the season transited to winter, the fuel consumption got worst. Back in Dec, was getting 11.5l/100km (20.5mpg WTF???). The last 2 fill-ups were 10.5l/100km (22.4mpg). Hope it returns to 8.5l/100km (27.7mpg) in the warmer season which I lot of our southern neighbors reported.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate
62 Posts
With this lovely weather here it seems to be around 10-11 L/100km. That is also warming it up for a few minutes before driving as well. That is a mix of city/highway so its about right for the rating. I do wish it had a dedicated eco mode tho

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,455 Posts
Few are going to get worse mileage than an AWD city driver in Canada ( who may be using remote start frequently) in the middle of winter. Very few. Oh, maybe Nanook of the North does worse.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts