Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke off a stud tonight trying to rotate tires. Was going to use a sledge hammer to get it out but thought I shouldn't. Is there a tool to get it out? Thank in advance.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Front or rear? I used a regular hammer. The fronts are going to involve more work than just knocking them out.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The back is blocked a bit by the knuckle? I forget what it's called... but the way I got it out was I grounded out a path for the bolt to come out. Once you see the back of the hub you'll know.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Front or rear? I used a regular hammer. The fronts are going to involve more work than just knocking them out.
Ricer i havent done the rears are they easier? how would u break the steps down for that?

& at OP

ive done the fronts 2wice already.

remove dustshield by unscrewing it (3 screws located at 2, 6,10 o clock locations) and cutting it off at the smallest area with shears. then shaved a bit off the knuckle with a dremel (twds the front portion of it), hammer out, and hammer in new ones.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I haven't done the rears either but from the looks of it you just have to smack it out, nothing blocking the path of the bolt like the fronts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ricer i havent done the rears are they easier? how would u break the steps down for that?

& at OP

remove dustshield by unscrewing it (3 screws located at 2, 6,10 o clock locations) and cutting it off at the smallest area with shears. then shaved a bit off the knuckle with a dremel (twds the front portion of it), hammer out, and hammer in new ones.
Haven't used a Dremel before. What kind of bit would I need to get to shave done the knuckle

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Haven't used a Dremel before. What kind of bit would I need to get to shave done the knuckle
Some have used an angle grinder I believe. Anything that can fight the steel. Its not that big of a portion u have to shave off.

U can also cut a portion off of the studs head. But im sure that woukd weaken the integrity of it to a certain extent.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have never seen a vehicle where changing a broken stud required grinding anything.

Somewhere in the 360 degree rotation there should be just enough room to poke through a stud. Heavy 1 pound hammer and pin punch normally required.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have never seen a vehicle where changing a broken stud required grinding anything.

Somewhere in the 360 degree rotation there should be just enough room to poke through a stud. Heavy 1 pound hammer and pin punch normally required.
If you don't grind it you'll have to take off the wheel hub. Just depends what you'd rather do.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Perfect...

I took off the dust shields and wala, space to pull them out.
Happy it turned out well for you! Nice to know what to expect if I have the same happen.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The dealer was the last to touch mine and they cross threaded a stud. Of course it snapped when I went to put snows on.

They cut a notch in the dust shield to get them out and replace.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

& at OP

Were you able to reuse the dust shield once you got it off? I used snips to take mine completely off and butchered it so bad I'm just to leave it off the car. I mangled it. It was rubbing against the rotor.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Were you able to reuse the dust shield once you got it off? I used snips to take mine completely off and butchered it so bad I'm just to leave it off the car. I mangled it. It was rubbing against the rotor.
i didn't intend on reusing them. i think ud have to remove the hub if u wanted to change the studs while leaving the dust shield in tact.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is exactly what I need to do on my 2010 Sonata. Good thread...

BTW, is Hyundai using some low quality studs, I did not use a lot of force when I broke it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts