Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live north of 60 in a small isolated down without any highways and the maximum speed anywhere is 50 kph. I had 62,000 km on my 2.7 L Santat Fe engine when the timing belt broke. I am attempting to replace it and get the timing straight but have a couple of questions for anyone who can help. I have adjusted the belt three times but when I put it back together the timing is still off and I am getting the following codes: 0300,0301, 0303 which point to cylinder misfires on 1 and 3. (I attribute these codes to a timing problem.)

1. Is the timing belt hard to get put on or take off. (Step 24 of the ultimate timing belt guide says it will gently come off) With the tensioner off the belt is extremely difficult to put on and there isn't any slack at all when I finally get it on. It is tight enough that the tensioner has no affect on the tension when reinstalled. In order to remove the new belt with the tensioner removed I have to use a screw driver on one of the cam pulleys and pry a little at a time

2. Do these pictures show correctly aligned cam and crank pulleys?

Crank Sprocket [attachment=19618:Crank_Sprocket.jpg]
Intake Cam [attachment=19616:intake_cam.jpg]
Exhaust Cam [attachment=19617:exhaust_cam.jpg]

3. If I finally get the timing straightened out and the valves are a problem (not sure yet), how difficult is it to change the valves.

The Santa Fe is great shape otherwise and I really like it here in the north where we have snow 9-10 months a year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
it is almost certain that the valves have bent when the belt broke, in 95% of case they do. you will need to remove the cylinder head to replace the bent valves. there is a lot of information about this issue that is already posted on the forums, use the search engine for more information

as you live in and operate your vehicle in extreme weather conditions the timing belt should be changed at more frequent intervals (see your handbook)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Montego.

Will the bent valves cause the vehicle to seem off timing and misfire on the cylinders?

Did the timing look like it was set properly in the photos?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Montego.

I did try a simple and then advanced search on cylinder head removal and valve replacement but came up dry. I will continue to search and will check out hmaservice.com.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I live up north and there aren't any auto parts stores within a 1000 miles and everything is flown in I will have to order parts. Short of taking the engine apart (which I have to do some research on still) does anyone have a recommendation of the parts I should order to replace valves? Is there a kit? I can always return unused parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts