Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had snapped a wheel stud and the lug nut will not come off. I have tried cutting it with an air cutter, torching it and trying to crack it, i do not have access to a hotter torch and I cant seem to get this ******* wheel off. Any suggestions? I think I might be forced to start disassembling the hub from the inside. :confused:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If you snapped it off and all the other lugs come off, how is it being held on? I would keep twisting that lug with a socket wrench.

Or...did just the splines give? In that case it would be spinning forever with nothing to grip. :eek:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you snapped it off and all the other lugs come off, how is it being held on? I would keep twisting that lug with a socket wrench.

Or...did just the splines give? In that case it would be spinning forever with nothing to grip. :eek:
I think the splines gave, because it doesnt stop spinning.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the splines are stripped I suggest putting the wheel back on and drive to a good shop and have them get it out and replace the stud. Good luck.

Bob
I'd rather do it myself, and learn from my mistakes.

Any tech advice please?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wanting to do it yourself is admirable but without the right tools? A good torch and a person skilled in its use should be able to cut the nut off without damaging the wheel. My opinion! Worse case, you could lose the wheel.

Bob

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what your saying is there's no other way to get it off unless its cut off from the front. Is there anyway to access the hub through the inside, and just cut the stud

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
So what your saying is there's no other way to get it off unless its cut off from the front. Is there anyway to access the hub through the inside, and just cut the stud
It will depend on how much of the rotor hat covers the hub. Still, its going to be quite tight.

If you weld you might be able to tack the stud in theory but again your main enemy is clearance.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Aluminum wheel will just make mess of wheel if torach use.. steel wheel not so bad..

Suppose you could attack it with drill bits to point it break off, or die grinder and burr and have at eating the nut and stud away till it break off.

If splines ripped from hub, probably be best to replace hub, wheel bearing and snap ring as package, as when you remove hub from bearing, you'll rip the outer race out of bearing, and it not fit right when try to re-assemble

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bite the Bullet...

I had snapped a wheel stud and the lug nut will not come off. I have tried cutting it with an air cutter, torching it and trying to crack it, i do not have access to a hotter torch and I cant seem to get this ******* wheel off. Any suggestions? I think I might be forced to start disassembling the hub from the inside. :confused:
I see this alot with folks that have not used anti sieze on the wheel stud threads.

Go to a good Tire/Wheel shop and they will use a tool that drills thru the outside end of the lug nut into the stud and a left hand thread pin is installed that has a square or hex head on it.

They will next install an open ended socket sleeve that has a hex or square form on the outside. One wrench on the outside of the lug nut sleeve and a second on the stud anchor then turn the lug sleeve counter clock while the stud anchor is turned clockwise and the lug nut will come off.

Hopefully you haven't boogered the lug nut too much so they have something to work with.

After the stud is replaced, use a good zinc based anti seize paste on the threads so this doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see this alot with folks that have not used anti sieze on the wheel stud threads.

Go to a good Tire/Wheel shop and they will use a tool that drills thru the outside end of the lug nut into the stud and a left hand thread pin is installed that has a square or hex head on it.

They will next install an open ended socket sleeve that has a hex or square form on the outside. One wrench on the outside of the lug nut sleeve and a second on the stud anchor then turn the lug sleeve counter clock while the stud anchor is turned clockwise and the lug nut will come off.

Hopefully you haven't boogered the lug nut too much so they have something to work with.

After the stud is replaced, use a good zinc based anti seize paste on the threads so this doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately the nut has been destroyed, no way of working with it. I am going to get a decent sized metal drill bit and try and drill through this f***er and see if I can pop the head off this stud. But I am going to pick up that paste so this doesnt happen again, thanks for the advice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts