Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my driver side mirror hit, so it broke right at the swivel point. My plan would be to get another one at the pick n' pull, but can't find one in the right color (silver).

Has someone here seen behind the glass holder, and can confirm that there is a way to separate the painted shell from the black holder? I would mix n' match the part to reuse my plastic shell.

New replacement part include both holder+shell... not available separately.

Plan B will be to look also for black or dark gray mirrors... and replace both. Still way cheaper than getting just one painted in silver.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You have to destroy something to get the glass. Break the back plastic shell of the mirror from junk yard to get the glass, then break your old glass to put the new one in. Just use hammer and screwdriver to destroy them. It's immoral but you have to. It's winter now so plastic clips are easy to break. Or you have to buy another mirror

Make sure the plastic clips of mirror cover on door panel side are in good shape. If this plastic trim can't hold tight, you ganna have whistling noise from weatherstrip. Stupid Hyundai put weatherstrip on the door panel

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to destroy something to get the glass. It's immoral but you have to.
Wow, Didn't think I'd have to break it to get access behind. Glass is undamaged on mine, but need to find a way to separate that cover from the swivel base.

Will check at the same time if I can't get a free/cheap broken mirror ass'y to practice before at the yard. ;-)

Thanks for the trick

·
Registered
166 Posts
That doesn't seem right... Although I've never messed with the mirrors on our 2010, there's almost ALWAYS some clips or snap together joints that you can pop off behind the mirror (where the glass holder/plate holds to the mechanism inside the mirror that moves and aims it) to remove the glass without breaking it...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a silver 2010 at my local pick n pull, maybe the mirror can be shipped out
Looking at the snow piling up outside, and getting colder each day... I took a look at car-parts.com instead.

Managed to reserve one from a silver 2010, that I can get 15mins from home. Sure is 50 canuck$ instead of 20$, but seems it will be worth it, reading what's needed to swap the colored shell.

Thanks for the offer!

(For the kicks, I might disassemble and put a post a few pics in this thread from the broken one... might be useful for someone else later)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So camper was right, no easy way to separate heat baked, 8 yrs old plastic, without breaking something.
As careful as I was, I still managed to break one of the 4 tabs from the glass holder.

Enjoy the pics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts