Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing an HID kit in my car last night and as I was tightening one of the power wires on to the negative battery clamp, the bolt broke off leaving the screw with the square end still in the clamp with no way to tighten it. I have tried taking it out but I am unsuccessful with every attempt. Is there anyway I can file the end of it down and pull it out and replace just that screw that secures the clamp?

I am at work and currently can't take a picture of it but if you were to look at the battery under the hood, it is the bolt that is facing at an angle that looks directly at you on the left of the negative clamp.

It is tightened down enough to drive and it does not come loose at all.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would post a picture but I got the bolt off. I went to autozone to buy a replacement bolt. I got so lucky the the replacement bolt that was going to go on which was the same exact looking bolt and there were no other sizes I was stoked. And then my luck got even better when it was maybe a mm in diameter too big. Well I luckily bought a terminal top post as well which had that same bolt plus 2 smaller sized bolts. The smaller bolts fit like a glove and are probably the identical size to the original! Only to find out that they were a 1/4 too short. I'm pissed, due to the fact that I only have one car and I have a work trip that I can not cancel, I'm worried sick that the battery cable will fall off, shutting any working thing in my car off and causing me to die, which wasn't part of my plans this weekend. I found a bolt that fits but I couldn't find a nut in the shed to use with it.

It seems pretty tight on there though. Am I okay to drive like this or no

If anybody can shed some light on this for me I'd be extremely grateful.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My suggestion is to go to the local hardware store and purchase the bolt in the correct mm size and length. I suggest Ace hardware if one is local to your location. They will help you find the correct one and it should be a dollar or less. I suggest a SS bolt and nut.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts