Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a question about replacement tires but did not get a satisfactory answer. I am contemplating replacing my OEM Khumo tires with one
of the following: Continental PureContact Eco or Pirelli Cinturato P7. It appears that from the Tire Rack comparison, the Pirellis come out slightly ahead. However in talking with other knowledgeable individuals, there appears to be some conflict in opinions.

I would appreciate it if any of you who have experience with either of these brands to give your opinions on them. I have researched both to death and am still undecided. HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Have you looked at the Goodyear Comfortreds (assuming you have 17" wheels)? I bought those from Tire Rack and I'm really satisfied with them, much better ride and noise level than the stock Kumhos.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't see a need for a UHP tire on a 4 dr. sedan, maybe a Vette, but not a Sonata. It's not a sports car regardless of one's wishes.

Larry[E]

Larry you dont have a sports car to have UHP tires. Generally tires with a V rating and an aspect ratio of 55 or lower which is what sonata's come with are considered UHP tires. Correct me if im wrong but i don't think i am.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric A/S (#2 on the UHP A/S list). Yes the sonata is not a vette, but all cars need traction. If you can get a really good tire, get it! I picked up the F1 tire because it has great traction & good tread rating. Traction is rated at AA, Temperature is rated at A. I think the tread was rated for 50,000 miles. I have a thread on the tires and was going to update after I take them off for my winter set. I bought A/S because I run them while temps are freezing, but the snow is still not falling.

Plus, Goodyear usually has rebates...see my thread http://www.hyundai-forums.com/230-s...goodyear-eagle-f1-asymmetric-all-seasons.html

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've always purchased Michelin tires and went with Goodyear triple treds for my wife's car a couple years ago and they are very noisy. They were very pricey but the tire dealer talked me into buying them. I personally will stay with Michelins from now on. They've always wore excellent and are very quiet. I would go with the Michelins that are #1 on that consumer report list.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
UHP tires are safer in most weather conditions, and are more fun to drive on. Better grip and shorter stopping distances might be important to some of us non-"Vette" drivers. If touring tires are fine for you and your Sonata, then go for it. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't see a need for a UHP tire on a 4 dr. sedan, maybe a Vette, but not a Sonata. It's not a sports car regardless of one's wishes.

Larry[E]

Larry you dont have a sports car to have UHP tires. Generally tires with a V rating and an aspect ratio of 55 or lower which is what sonata's come with are considered UHP tires. Correct me if im wrong but i don't think i am.
I think you will find the Sonata comes with an "All Season Grand Touring" type tire and not a UHP tire. The point I was making is that the post I quoted was limited to UHP tires, and implied that those were the tires to be considered for our vehicles which in reality only covers a small subclass of tires which should be a consideration for a replacement tire for our Sonata.

Your generalization that some how Sonata's come with UHP tires is in fact wrong. Neither the OEM Kumho or Hankok tires are UHPs, but GT AS tires AFAIK.

lARRY

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think you will find the Sonata comes with an "All Season Grand Touring" type tire and not a UHP tire. The point I was making is that the post I quoted was limited to UHP tires, and implied that those were the tires to be considered for our vehicles which in reality only covers a small subclass of tires which should be a consideration for a replacement tire for our Sonata.

Your generalization that some how Sonata's come with UHP tires is in fact wrong. Neither the OEM Kumho or Hankok tires are UHPs, but GT AS tires AFAIK.

lARRY
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85202&stc=1&d=1382272684
I was under the assumption that any tire with a V rating is considered UPH as stated in this article from consumers digest.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just installed conti purecontacts eco on my sonata. I've put about 1200 miles on them, most of the miles from a long road trip. They are smoother, softer, and less noisy than the OEM's. From watching the Tire Rack road test they had better wet road handling than the other tires in the test. I could of bought a better riding tire, but I decided to go with a tire with a little better grip.
Over all I am very happy with the tire.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all the responses, however I was asking SPECIFICALLY about the Continentals and the Pirellis. These are the two that I have narrowed it down to. Tire Rack's comparison of these two plus the Michelin, was heavily in favor of the Conti and Pirelli. I just wanted help in deciding between these two. Not to offend anyone, but I would not buy a Goodyear under any circumstances...have had bad experience with them.

Thanks anyway for all the responses. Hope more Continental and Pirelli users will respond.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I just put on DWS on my Sonata. I was doing the same research and came to the conclusion that there just wasn't enough winter driving reviews to allow me to do the Eco's. Ecos are about 10-20 bucks cheaper a tire and only one pound lighter than the Kuhmos while the DWS is three pounds lighter a tire. Maybe next time but I need to make sure that light to medium snow traction is good.

My wife is primary driver of the Sonata now and the DWS have high ratings for snow. That and my brother has had a set on since 09 and they wear pretty well when taken care of.

We only have about 300 miles on em now and they drive a little firmer than the Kuhmos but I am also running a bit higher pressure in the tire too. The car also doesn't wallow as much; but they are brand new tires too.

Good luck finding a tire!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I recently posted a question about replacement tires but did not get a satisfactory answer. I am contemplating replacing my OEM Khumo tires with one
of the following: Continental PureContact Eco or Pirelli Cinturato P7. It appears that from the Tire Rack comparison, the Pirellis come out slightly ahead. However in talking with other knowledgeable individuals, there appears to be some conflict in opinions.

I would appreciate it if any of you who have experience with either of these brands to give your opinions on them. I have researched both to death and am still undecided. HELP!!!
Can you be more specific as to which tires you are looking at (tirerack gives me 3 Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires to choose from when searching tires using your vehicle specifications).

In the meantime I'll try to give you my opinion in both short and long form.

My short answer is to go with an XL (extra load) rated tire and the highest speed rating possible with a treadwear rating somewhere in the middle for ideal traction and lifespan (I always look for AA or at least A ratings in both traction and temperature ratings). Oh, and always choose asymmetrical tread pattern over directional. Less noise, better cornering ability = more comfort & improved handling. Oh yeah, and 1 more thing, never shop tires by price. Invest a couple of extra bucks into tire construction and quality and it will pay back dividends many times over. I've seen too many cheap tires fail under pitiful conditions.

My long answer is the following: The decision can only be made by you seeing as you are the only one that knows what's more important to you. I notice that you are in VA so treadwear rating of both tires are very similar (one of the Pirelli's comes with 600 rating which means its a bit softer and thus should give you slightly better traction during the summer months). As a general rule of thumb, in hot climates you want your treadwear rating to be a little higher (harder compound) due to the heat compensating for temperature/traction so as to result in comparable lifespan if you were to use the same tire in a more temperate or cooler climate. Virginia is pretty much in the middle so I would look for something in the middle as far as ratings go (if that makes sense).

Ditch the Pirelli that has a "H" speed rating (all the other choices have "V" rating).

If I had to choose between the two brands (gun to my head) I would go with the Pirelli P7 with the 600 treadwear rating (700 is just too hard of a compound for my taste, no point in having long life with less grip). I'm also a sucker for asymmetrical tread patterns and the Continental tread doesn't look like it would do as well in wet conditions as the Pirellis.

Honestly though, for your application I wouldn't get either. If I were in your position I would opt for the Michelin Primacy MXM4 (94V, UTQG rating of 500 AA A).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I personally can't say anything bad about the Continetal PureContact Eco. I have a set of 205/65R-16 on my GLS, I think they have around 35K on them. I rotate them every 5K, and other than that, I don't even think about them. Quiet, smooth, good in the rain. I will definitely buy them again.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I appreciate all the responses, however I was asking SPECIFICALLY about the Continentals and the Pirellis. These are the two that I have narrowed it down to. Tire Rack's comparison of these two plus the Michelin, was heavily in favor of the Conti and Pirelli. I just wanted help in deciding between these two. Not to offend anyone, but I would not buy a Goodyear under any circumstances...have had bad experience with them.

Thanks anyway for all the responses. Hope more Continental and Pirelli users will respond.
AWAHOO---I have posted before in other tire threads about my experience with the DWS Continentals. YOU CANT BEAT THEM!!! Period. They are the best tire with regards to winter driving. No they are not Blizzaks so their ice performance is poor, as with any UHP all season. However, they will make the car much better in snow (for what you should be driving in) and help improve dry and wet traction. The Eco Plus is not as good in winter driving. I cannot speak for Pirelli tires as I have never owned a car with them mounted.

The down side is that they get really loud as they wear out. To the point that you will need to either yell at your passenger or wear earplugs while driving. However, they last as long as their treadwear rating (50K mi, IIRC) and are worth the money.

Also I am not sure what size rims you have, but they should be available in 16, 17, and 18 inch diameters. I have the factory 18s on my car and they were actually the cheapest tire with good winter performance.

Does that help?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
The down side is that they get really loud as they wear out. To the point that you will need to either yell at your passenger or wear earplugs while driving. However, they last as long as their treadwear rating (50K mi, IIRC) and are worth the money.
Gulp. I just had these installed. I knew they would get louder as they wore but that is a fairly significant response to the sound they give off! :eek:

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Gulp. I just had these installed. I knew they would get louder as they wore but that is a fairly significant response to the sound they give off! :eek:
No reason to fear, Cats. You will enjoy the tires for a long time before this happens. And, if you are a "man of music" like myself, keeping the jams cranked up will help to ease the road noise.

And...you have a Limited so you should be on 17" tires. They may not be as bad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts