Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2013 Elantra and want to get the HID lights if possible for my car. Truthfully I hate the yellowish lights and want to have a more daylight lights for my low/hi beams and even my initial fogs, and my license plate lights.

Any good ideas?

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
22,788 Posts
Lots of posts here about headlight upgrades and HID. Keep reading. I'm happy with better standard bulbs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Agree! Cheaper, too! LOTS cheaper! But, I'm old and frugal. Possibly "cheap" comes into play, also. LOL

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same issues. In my previous 2011 Elantra Limited, I installed HID's in fog and regular headlamps. They were incredible.....when they worked. Constant headaches of going out. Also, HID vendors are a dime a dozen and very hard to find a very reputable person in my area.

I went with Nokya bulbs matching the wattage of the previous stock bulbs. They LOOK great but performance lacks to that of HID kits. In fact, I absolutely have to have both on to get the performance I need at night.

Just wish there was a better way than letting good ole Jim Bob under the hood.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would like to replace the stock bulbs and have looked at the accessibility of the low beam, high beam, and fog lights. It looks like the driver side will be a pain to get to. Do you have to remove the fuse box to get to it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would like to replace the stock bulbs and have looked at the accessibility of the low beam, high beam, and fog lights. It looks like the driver side will be a pain to get to. Do you have to remove the fuse box to get to it?
just take out whole headlight, very easy :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Agree! Cheaper, too! LOTS cheaper! But, I'm old and frugal. Possibly "cheap" comes into play, also. LOL
Not only that, if one goes out, a replacement can be bought from your local auto parts store.

Before buying HIDs, consider my experience with them:

Unbeknownst to me, my used 2011 had been converted to HIDs. Low, high & fogs. I said "okay" - they're certainly much brighter, but what if one goes out. I researched what I had (info off one of the ballasts) and, to my dismay, they appeared to have been mail ordered from the far east! So if I have an issue, I need the internet and to await shipping of whatever parts needed to fix it.

My knowing little to nothing about HIDs when I learned I had them in my car, I looked around the internet to discover many people having issues with theirs and...many others offering possible solutions.

I said to myself...W-E-L-L, I got them and...so far, so good. I'll just have to wait and see how reliable MINE will be.

As it was, a mere two months after I bought that car, some issues came up one night while leaving work. BOTH headlights were seriously strobing (rapidly flickering off and on) and then went out completely. I had to park the car & call a family member to lead me home in her car - eighteen miles.

The next day, I ripped out those HIDs, replacing them with the much more easily gotten "regular" headlight bulbs from Auto Zone.

By the way, out of curiosity, I just did a general search on their web site and...they don't carry HIDs.

Anyway, I have way too many other things to do than to be dinking around with "known to be problematic" aftermarket headlight systems. Regular bulbs have NEVER given me such a fit as those HIDs did that night, thereby rendering my car UN-roadworthy.

I need lights that are reliably functional, practical & safe - just as they're designed to be.

If your willing and up to the challenge of installing them and then dealing with possible future problems, then good luck.

Just offering you something to consider...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here's a video. The headlights are very easy to remove for access:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I was behind an Optima coming home last night, and then side by side, and the HID's were not really any brighter than my Silverstar Ultras, just a few kelvin bluer. I didn't even have to pull a headlight to change those low beams out.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
When it comes to HIDs, you get what you pay IMO. I have a set from forum member Louiceman and I couldnt be happier with them. Morimoto 6k bixenons fire up quick, no delay time between low and high beam. The projectors have a very wide beam and clean cutoff. Get some good projectors and HID kit with a good relay and cap, you're good to go. Either way you, bulbs or HID, they will both give you good lighting. Just depends on how much you want to spend is all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts