Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the answer??

I need much brighter high beam bulbs. I have found some 80watt bulbs available. Does anyone know if these will work without frying wires or activating the dash warnings?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Past experience with other cars (H4) is that the brighter bulbs obviously need more power. The stock wiring on every car is bare minimum. If you do, you might want to get a relay harness. More heat is also concern in the housings.

Slap an LED light bar on bottom of bumper or do a bi-xenon HID conversion on the projectors. see retrofitsource.com

·
Registered
905 Posts
The 80 Watters should be ok for the limited usage of the high beams.

With the 55 Watt Beams, you should be pulling 4.5 Amps from 12 Volts, 3.9Amps from 13.8 Volts (operating Voltage). While the 80 Watt bulbs will pull 6.6 Amps at 12 Volts, and 5.8 Amps at 13.8 Volts respectively.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have a pair of 100 watt H1 bulbs here I had in HELLA housings when I had my old '65 Impala SS..

It had 4 small round lamps, outer low/hi were H4 with 100/90's, and the 2 hi lamps had H1 in 100 watt.. talk about instant daylight at night time..

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a pair of 100 watt H1 bulbs here I had in HELLA housings when I had my old '65 Impala SS..

It had 4 small round lamps, outer low/hi were H4 with 100/90's, and the 2 hi lamps had H1 in 100 watt.. talk about instant daylight at night time..
I had the 4 square in an '83 Malibu wagon with the same thing. Combined with 2 white Hella 500 fogs that came on with parking lights AND 2 Rallye 1000's that were relay triggered from the high beams. Granted I was driving the Adirondacks at night time every weekend.

Your Impala and my Malibu had a bit thicker wire though IMO. Short term use he'd probably be OK but I use my reference of night time back roads and could be 15-20 minutes between cars so they stayed on for long periods.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, for all the input. I ended up installing 80watt PIAA H1 bulbs and raising the aim a bit. Instant big time change! So far they work great and with no overheating problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts