Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey accentians, wondering if anyone has any input on a power response delay/ hesitation I’ve been experiencing in first gear. Seems to be worse with the AC on and doesn’t happen all the time. If I’m at a full stop and I start to accelerate, sometimes the clutch will grab, the car will start to move, but the power doesn’t properly kick in for a second or two. Problematic for safely crossing busy roadways. I’ve read online about it possibly being fuel filter or MAF sensor related, but nothing too conclusive. Any help greatly appreciated! 2008 accent se manual

·
Registered
127 Posts
This generation of Accent uses a MAP sensor, which is normally pretty reliable. When was the last time the car had a tune-up? I recall some other posters had hesitation issues when pressing the accelerator pedal and simply changing the spark plugs fixed it. Aside from that, have you taken a look at fuel trim data with a scan tool to see if anything looks amiss with the A/F ratios under varying driving conditions? Any other noticeable issues (e.g. engine running rough etc.)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This generation of Accent uses a MAP sensor, which is normally pretty reliable. When was the last time the car had a tune-up? I recall some other posters had hesitation issues when pressing the accelerator pedal and simply changing the spark plugs fixed it. Aside from that, have you taken a look at fuel trim data with a scan tool to see if anything looks amiss with the A/F ratios under varying driving conditions? Any other noticeable issues (e.g. engine running rough etc.)?
Thanks for the reply. It runs smoothly. Recent purchase so I’ll have to double-check the plugs. If that doesn’t fix things I may have to pick up a scan tool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What OBD scanner would you recommend? It looks like the really cheap ones would be a pain to measure the A/F ratios.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What OBD scanner would you recommend? It looks like the really cheap ones would be a pain to measure the A/F ratios.
As far as I understand, our cars have a sensor that can tell you the A/F command rate, which will 1.00 under most circumstances. You can use the fuel trim and O2 sensor readings to tell you whether you’re running rich or lean.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My first guess is one of the coils but I'm no mechanic. I've replaced 3 out of 4 on my 2008. Sometimes they threw a code, other times they didn't. I'm just waiting for number 4 to start failing now. If I was smart I'd buy one and throw it in the glovebox instead of having to pay retail at the parts store next time.

Kuripot (Kevin)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed some new plugs and the hesitation seems to be gone. There is one other thing I forgot to mention that hasn’t gone away. With the ac on, I occasionally get a lurch or brief hesitation at around 2700 rpms.. any ideas are most welcome

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I installed some new plugs and the hesitation seems to be gone. There is one other thing I forgot to mention that hasn’t gone away. With the ac on, I occasionally get a lurch or brief hesitation at around 2700 rpms.. any ideas are most welcome
To my knowledge, it’s normal to feel a little bit of a lurch when the compressor turns on, it cycles on and off as you are driving with the AC on, does it always happen at exactly 2700 rpms?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To my knowledge, it’s normal to feel a little bit of a lurch when the compressor turns on, it cycles on and off as you are driving with the AC on, does it always happen at exactly 2700 rpms?
Interesting! Yes it doesn’t always happen but when it does it’s always at about 2700 rpm. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts