Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Hyundai owners,
I have a Santa Fe sport 2014 with 100,000kms on it now. That had never had an issue utnil last year.

I took it in about 15 months ago to have a big brake job done.
The auto shop replaced rotors,pads,calipers and bled the brake system front/back.
The car was just fine for about 4-6 weeks, then the braking noise began (a squeal) when going in reverse. It started out very quiet, then every week it would get worse. It was also always worse if I had not driven/reversed in at least a few hours. Anyway, I took it back at the 2 month mark and they said that it was the shims, which were adjusted. The problem went away again for a couple months. They also said to get the shims replaced if it happened again.

Then it started to happen again, slowly at first and then got so bad it was not drivable. This was over a month or two.

I was in another city and took it to someone else and I suggested it was the shims as that was what I was told. The mecanic there said it was bad breaks that were creating brake dust. He cleaned them up and the noise was gone again for 2 months or so. I brought it back to the original mecanic again, this time they said they could not hear the noise and said to bring it back another time. I did tell them it only makes the noise in reverse and is worse the first time you drive it....Anyway I took it back again later and they simply told me it was the back plate was lose. Within 24 hours this time we noticed the noise is still there and its slowly getting worse again.

I'm not sure what to do now, but does it sound like bad breaks or something else? Any ideas!
I did see a post that was similar and someone suggested some liquid that quiets brake noise. Or maybe I should just try to clean it myself with compressed air every few months?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Brake squeal is caused by vibration. Brakes wear to suit traveling in a forward direction and not in reverse. I think all they are doing is a slight sand of the pad surface to eliminate the noise short term. You can put a silicon product called anti squeal behind the brake pad. It basically sticks the pad to the caliper piston with a flexible glue however It dosn't always work. You can also apply a tiny bit of grease to the areas where the pads mount in the support bracket but be very careful not to get any on the pad surface. It's more likely the pad material and may eventually go away. A few heavy brake applications in reverse might get rid of the noise for a short time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestions, I will try out the anti squeal product and grease as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
In my many years in the auto trade there is one thing that sticks out in my mind!! The amount of very poor quality, non OEM, parts that are sold out of non franchised parts suppliers.

Many of these parts originate from the Far East and are very poorly manufactured. Brake Pads, Filters, Oil Seals, Bearings, steering joints/rods etc. are the worst parts that I've seen. Brake parts can compromise the safety of the vehicle. Some of the metal parts that I've seen are made from mild steel!

I would check to see who the supplier and manufacturer of the brake pads was.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
In my many years in the auto trade, there is one thing that sticks out in my mind.... the amount of very poor quality work by mechanics. The lack of attention to detail is worse than the foreign parts.

Concerning parts, I haven't seen issues with reputable brands. Problem is, most consumers shop on the cheap and don't give their mechanics the option of better parts for a few bucks more.
You should find out what brands and part numbers were installed.

Hubs are dirty, runout not checked, improper prep/cleaning/greasing, non-coated rotors in a rustbelt area, nothing torqued, ....

You need a new mechanic.

If your brakes work fine, you should just get use to the noise. Turn up the radio.

When you're due for your next brake service, pay for better parts. Or, buy some tools and DIY.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Shims? Sounds like you just need to take the calipers off then clean and lube them. Also, I don't know what pads are on there but I only use ceramic pads. they cut down on the dust and if you break them in correctly they don't squeal. You do have to lube the caliper parts so that they slide in and out easily and keep the pads close to the disks for minimal vibration. Fortunately I am experienced enough to do my own brake work and my first brake job will be to replace the rotors with drilled and slotted rotors and all ceramic brakes, made in the USA of course.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Is there more to this story? Why were the calipers replaced? That is not a part of a normal brake job, except for a few of the mass merchandisers who require you to replace everything to get their lifetime warranty. You also mention that the noise was there is reverse, but then say that it became so bad that you didn't want to drive it. Is the noise still only when in reverse or all of the time? Is it only there for the first couple of stops and then it goes away? The reason that I ask that question is that some brake linings are noisy for the first few brake applications after sitting overnight, especially if they were wet when parked. I would consider that as normal as long as they quiet down.

I am not going to jump into the fray over whether the parts or the servicing tech is the root cause. The truth is that either or both could be the cause. Even within name brands.....You generally get what you pay for. As an example.....GM offers both original equipment and what they now call their "professional" line of brake pads at a much lower price. The lower priced brake linings are often noisy. Here we have an unknown facility installing what brand(s) of parts?

I do have to agree that you would probably be wise to take it to well rated Dealership or independent facility. Do be aware that they may need to start from scratch, which could mean replacing some of those parts again.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts